Did lifting cause water weight gain?

Options
A week ago I weighed 118. I've been running consistently for the past month as I've been training for a half marathon. Sunday I decided it was time to start lifting weights again (I took a break from lifting this summer). I did really heavy weight with low reps on squats, leg press, calf raises etc. I can feel that my glutes and quads are swollen and they are really sore.

Today I weighed myself and I weigh 124. That's a gain of 6 pounds in a week. Are my muscles retaining water? What's going on?!?

Replies

• hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Yes. Its nothing to worry about.
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I hope so. I know numbers are arbitrary but they piss me off!
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Unless you've been straying from eating clean, there is no way that that can be anything more than water retention.. I wouldn't worry too much. It'll come back down :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    A week ago I weighed 118. I've been running consistently for the past month as I've been training for a half marathon. Sunday I decided it was time to start lifting weights again (I took a break from lifting this summer). I did really heavy weight with low reps on squats, leg press, calf raises etc. I can feel that my glutes and quads are swollen and they are really sore.

Today I weighed myself and I weigh 124. That's a gain of 6 pounds in a week. Are my muscles retaining water? What's going on?!?

Swollen and sore muscles are the first clue that your body is retaining water. It's a good thing. :smile:
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does. It'll go away. If I take a lifting break and take it back up again, I'm up at least 3lbs.