Lose BF but Gain Lean muscle

Options
As many people have tried this - this is not the easist thing to do.

Trying to get the carbs low so I dont gain the weight but eating the right amount of protein to gain muscle but the right carbs too so I dont pass put & be all drained etc - like I did in the past

If someone could help with this - if you could look at my food intake & tell me where am going wrong.
I did an amazing week with protein & carbs etc but I never did any cardio & felt fat !!! :(
so then reduced the calories & did more cardio which reduced the weight training :(

Back to square 1 lol.................HELP !!!!!!!! :)

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    As many people have tried this - this is not the easist thing to do.

Trying to get the carbs low so I dont gain the weight but eating the right amount of protein to gain muscle but the right carbs too so I dont pass put & be all drained etc - like I did in the past

Excess calories cause weight gain, not carbs. Granted your protein and fat requirements will cause carbs to be the most logical thing to reduce, but I wanted to clarify this point.

If someone could help with this - if you could look at my food intake & tell me where am going wrong.
    I did an amazing week with protein & carbs etc but I never did any cardio & felt fat !!! :(
    so then reduced the calories & did more cardio which reduced the weight training :(

Back to square 1 lol.................HELP !!!!!!!! :)

Set calories to maintenance/TDEE
    If you don't know that caloric intake, start here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Choose a heavy lifting program. Starting Strength, Stronglifts are both great. Your program should have you deadlifting, squatting, benching, chinups/pullups, rows/etc -- the majority of your time should be spent on big lifts and not tricep kickbacks/etc.

Set protein and fat minimums as follows:
    1g/lb LBM in protein
    .4g/lb total bodyweight in fat

Eat the rest in carbs once you meet or exceed the above minimums.

Now having said ALL of that:

1) You may want to consider rotation cycles of bulking/cutting as that's typically more efficient.
    2) The amount of cardio you do should be tailored to your fitness goals and personal preference. I am satisfied with the CV benefit I get from lifting heavy, so I do zero cardio. I just reduce cals to drop fat.