After the Weight's Gone??

Options
So... I see that people lose their desired weight and then abandon websites like MFP. How do you plan to maintain after it's gone? I was wondering if those who lose their goal weight (or have lost a significant amount of weight already) have continued to use MFP to motivate others or if they have been more dedicated to maintaining outside of MFP? Please share your experiences/ideas!

Replies

• Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Prior to a very recent weight gain, I'd been using MFP to maintain my weight and to help motivate friends (MFP and from my area) to do the same or to lose weight. I wouldn't give it up once I get to my goal. I love being in the know about how well I'm doing in terms of my eating habits, and tracking allows me to have a record of that.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I will not leave this place, it's set as my homepage because I know if I don't set it as my homepage then I might not come back. Now MFP is apart of my every day life. I'm very close to maintaining my weight and that scares the crap out of me because I'm scared I'll let myself go again. However I honestly don't think I will because of the fact that it scares me so much. So I will continue to always log.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I think that I will log for quite a while as I'm getting the hang of working my way up in calories to maintain and learning just how much that is. After I'm comfortable with that, I will probably only log a few days per week to see how I'm doing. I can't go cold turkey on logging, I like to do it too much. :)
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I will continue to log after I reach my goal weight. Using weight watchers before, I've lost weight and gained it all back. I refuse to let that happen again. And I would love to motivate others....it's made such a difference for me having people motivate me.
  • dijonwillis
    Options
    When I lost my first 40lbs I deserted the site, not because of selfishness or pride but because I actually plateaued and got discouraged. I finally think I've got my mojo back so I'm back to using it. Hopefully I wont abandon it again :)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Well obviously after the weight is gone, I won't need MFP. Or shoes, because I'll be walking on air. I will also be fabulously and suddenly wealthy, and will vacation on the back of a silvery unicorn that flies me to exotic locations where handsome princes swathed in luxurious fabrics will feed me grapes, mow my lawn, and cook 4000 calorie dinners for me, which of course I'll never gain an ounce from, because life will perfect when I'm skinny.

And when reality upsets all my plans and the silvery unicorn fails to show up, yeah, I'll stay on MFP. Because I've been skinny a few times, and never stayed that way!
  • nicolenoms
    Options
    Well obviously after the weight is gone, I won't need MFP. Or shoes, because I'll be walking on air. I will also be fabulously and suddenly wealthy, and will vacation on the back of a silvery unicorn that flies me to exotic locations where handsome princes swathed in luxurious fabrics will feed me grapes, mow my lawn, and cook 4000 calorie dinners for me, which of course I'll never gain an ounce from, because life will perfect when I'm skinny.

And when reality upsets all my plans and the silvery unicorn fails to show up, yeah, I'll stay on MFP. Because I've been skinny a few times, and never stayed that way!

^^ The unicorn isn't going to show up?? So all this hard work is in vain!?I refuse to believe it, I'm going to reach goal weight and keep logging calories in the hopes that one day I might find that silvery unicorn.
  • MrsHarris6
    MrsHarris6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I will not leave this place, it's set as my homepage because I know if I don't set it as my homepage then I might not come back. Now MFP is apart of my every day life. I'm very close to maintaining my weight and that scares the crap out of me because I'm scared I'll let myself go again. However I honestly don't think I will because of the fact that it scares me so much. So I will continue to always log.

That's actually a great idea! I keep it in the background, but if it's my homepage I'll be more likely to remember! Thanks for sharing!
  • MrsHarris6
    MrsHarris6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

LOL! This was hilarious!!
  • alease27
    alease27 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I joined in January and hit my goal in April (contest at work and I am very competitive). That said I continue to log and I have no intention of stopping. This site keeps me honest, and thus helps me avoid weight gain. I only log exercise while on vacation; I figure it is worthless to try to guess what I am eating (most vacations are at all inclusive resorts) and by logging exercise I stay motivated to be active everyday :happy: Supporting my friends is also very important to me. I talked them into joining with me and I want them to be just as successful as I have been, even it if takes a bit longer :flowerforyou:
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

LOL - this is brilliant! :)

My plan sounds pretty much like this:

1) Reach my goal weight
    2) Run screaming for help to the MFP boards asking how the heck do I maintain it
    3) Keep logging, because I have friends here, because I like to encourage people that haven't reached their goal yet and also because I am not on a temporary diet - I'll want to make sure I stay healthy even after I reach my goal.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options

hahahaha loved that

I'll probably Stay with MFP or at least counting calories....these forums are very supportive and motivational....plus I have a tendency of slacking in either the good eating habits or the exercising or both and gaining weight back....so weight WILL ALWAYS be an issue for me and a worry on my mind. I'm a work in continual progress..... so I'll be on MFP.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I have a lot more to do after I reach goal. So much actully. I need to find that maintain point. Then I want to do a bulk, then I want to do a cut. I still will have at least a year after I reach goal of needing to count cals to make sure I'm exactly where I need to be, maintain, gain, or lose. So this site is going to be My new fav. Site lol it already is