You can be fat AND fit!

Options
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19474239

Any opinions on this bbc article about a study from University of South Carolina?

I think it just gives even more weight to the idea that it is our fitness goals as well as weight loss goals that will help us lead healthy long lives in the future! :happy:

Any movement towards a healthier lifestyle is beneficial, even if the number on the scale is still higher than you'd like to see.

Replies

• MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Yeah but you won't look good with your clothes off..

END OF DISCUSSION
  • lchovet
    Options
    MEN !!!
  • wildcata77
    Options
    I love your avatar.
  • abetterjune
    Options
    If you're obese, you still need to lose weight, even if you're "metabolically fit." This is the kind of crap that has obese people thinking they don't need to lose weight because they aren't sick... yet.
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    Well I agree to a certain extent. I do believe I am improving everyday as I should but this 245 pound girl, who when walks down the street is viewed as "huge" I am sure, can ride a 10 mile bike ride averaging 15mph. I can bench press 70 pounds (which I am very proud of). I can run on treadmills, zumba, and everything else I put my mind to efficiantly. So my outside has no indication of my inside and how much better I am getting. Yes, it is best for people to lose weight however I also believe that you can't judge a book by it's cover even when it comes to health.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    This will still hamper my ability and desire to look fkn awesome naked...so NO.
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Ah thank you BerryH, I hadn't seen your post before. Apologies for cross-posting.

I wasn't suggesting that study should be used to tell people it's ok not to lose weight, obviously if you weight is causing health problems it needs to change! I think it is a nice reminder, however, that even if your weight isn't moving, you're improving your fitness and there will be benefits beyond what the scale and mirror can show.

I know that for me in the last few weeks the scale hasn't budged, but instead of getting frustrated and demotivated, I try to remind myself that the benefits are far more than lbs on a scale, but also a reduced risk of hearth disease and diabetes. Helps me keep going through the tough times :smile:

p.s. nothing to do with this thread, but a co-worker just came up to my desk and offered me cake....this has happened twice already this week and it's only wednesday! :sick: (i refused lol)
  • wrbiii
    wrbiii Posts: 151
    Options
    You can also be a smoker and not get lung cancer. That's still not the best idea.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    (duplicate post.....)
  • ekalexm
    Options
    The last post sums if up nicely for me.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Depends on the definition of "fit" I guess, my cardio vascular fitness is appalling, bottom 10% of the population range, but my blood pressure, resting heart rate and cholesterol ratios are fine. My BMI is now in the healthy range, just. Am I fit or not ?
  • queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    LOL! Avatar is awesome!
    I love your avatar.
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm 90-ish lbs overweight. One time I went to visit my girlfriend (who weighs around 100 lbs, healthily), she had the bright idea of making me chase her through the woods. I shocked the crap out of her when I was able to keep up with her and that she got winded about the same time I did. After we stopped running, she stopped panting after a minute, I huffed, puffed, coughed and wheezed for like 5 minutes.

I'm fit enough to keep up with running after someone half my weight, but I'm not healthy enough, cardio-wise, to calm my breathing down in a "normal" time frame. I think the latter is more important to work on and that can only be fixed by regular exercise and losing excess fat.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    But why would you choose to be so? That's settling for second best.
  • tenaheff
    Options
    Yeah but you won't look good with your clothes off..

END OF DISCUSSION

I've got news for you... If you live long enough, you won't look good with your clothes off no matter how skinny youa are! :laugh: :laugh: :sad: :sad:
  • MrOFM
    MrOFM Posts: 41
    Options
    lol

Look why in the world would want to be fat and fit? Stupid! If your aiming towards being fit you might as well drop the pounds.

I hate when ppl post stuff like this!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    My physician is foreign-trained (German), very knowledgeable, and frankly blunt. I like this about her though. The last time I had a physical I weighed about 175 (on a 5'7" frame). She performed an EKG and said that I had the heart of a well-trained athlete. The body, not so much. THIS is the reason I am on MFP.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I've got news for you... If you live long enough, you won't look good with your clothes off now matter how skinny youa are! :laugh: :laugh: :sad: :sad:
    579441_380469625338355_144159505636036_1196171_1955862427_n.jpg
    This man is not impressed with your opinion. (He's 65)
  • MrOFM
    MrOFM Posts: 41
    Options
    I've got news for you... If you live long enough, you won't look good with your clothes off now matter how skinny youa are! :laugh: :laugh: :sad: :sad:

I been unfortunate to see some really really old dude in the gym locker room and some of them had great bodys. So its really what you do. If a 69 year old can look fit and good why not keep working out?