Do you know what you USED to eat? OMG!

Options

Replies

• CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options

That's my problem also. I cook good food! I rarely ever ate out, had the occasional soda and did a lot of walking/hiking. It wasn't super healthy by any means but a lot more than many people. I didn't have to make too many drastic changes thankfully - the biggest thing that helped me was just to eat more slowly. Putting down the fork between bites and taking some breaths while eating was a good thing. Now I can feel that I am full and stop right away instead of continuing to 'hoover'. I'm down almost 20 pounds without much effort.
    I need to teach myself to get in the habit of that too.. eating slowly. When I eat pizza I can have 2 slices (which is my limit) and feel like it didn't even leave a dent in my stomach.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I picked a regular day....yeah, 2500 Calories over and thats not including condiments ect...... eewwww
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    As an experiment, I just entered a typical day's worth of food into MFP - a typical day BEFORE I began my journey 10 months ago. What an eye-opener! Compared to a typical day now, I've cut out 2300 calories... 2300!!! Plus 39g carbs, 114g fat (!!!), 66g protein, and a whopping 4300mg of sodium! OMG! And on top of all that, I was eating 12g FEWER in fiber. That tells you how much fruit & vegetables I was eating (not).

Have you calculated your cuts? It's a very motivating exercise. ;c)

I did this my first day on MFP. I just logged a typical day. It was an eye-opener, to be sure.
  • LouiseRose92
    Options
    I'm actually shocked. I tried to remember a typical day and logged 3926 calories! I always wondered how I balooned so quickly. I added in the drinking that I did probably 3 times a week, that was 1440 cals by itself :blushing:
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    What's with all the sandwich hate? I eat about two sandwiches a day (sometimes 3) and am losing faster then ever. Couldn't do it without my sammiches.
  • SouffleBoy
    SouffleBoy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a fairly good diet but then I used to binge when I got back from school which always made sure I gained weight.
  • marthadztx
    marthadztx Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    All I'm saying is my diet used to consist of almost 4000 cal. and most of that was healthy foods just a lot of it.:embarassed:
    Too much of a good thing...
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Fast food was my downfall. Usually I would go out and grab lunch, and frequently I woudl grab breakfast on my way in too. That was bad, but it coudl be controlled, calorie wise. Combine it with the sedentry life style and a stressful desk job and your talking a spike in blood pressure.

I have dropped over 15 points in my blood pressure with 15 pounds. And I still have the same job. Now I am keeping an eye on the sodium and moving myself more each day.

The best part of planning and tracking - I'm saving money, money that more than offsets thecost of fresh fruits adn veggies. I'd rather it go to my veggie stand and grocer than Mickey Ds corporate office. (Sorry all you Mickey Ds workers.)
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I ate exactly like alphamale. I know I'd do 1000 calories a day in drinks. potatoes, butter, bread oh my! I'm about 80% better now, still drink one sweet drink a day and a quarter cup rice a day. white rice.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat terribly every day, but there were more days than I'd like to count where I'd be in the 3000+ calorie range. Lots of chips and fast food, and a LOT more alcohol. Plus when I transitioned to a desk job, I was getting essentially zero exercise. Not surprising at all, that I ended up where I did!
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Warning to people under, um, 50 (but really 40) -- "Yes, please bring another basket of chips and a triple mega margarita -- and how 'bout some ten-cheese queso, too, with a double order of fried stuffed jalapenos, and then we'll think about ordering dinner..." is a phrase you will come to regret. RUN to better habits while you have a chance! Once you hit that "certain age," it all magically catches up with you -- every last chip -- and it's not nearly as fun recovering as it was eating everything in sight with impunity the first time around was.

I'm only saying it 'cause I love ya... ;c)
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Gotta think about this. Everyday was for sure at least 4+ sodas and one meal was fast food. I'm thinking of days where I used to get Wendy's for breakfast, chinese food for lunch, and a steak n taters style dinner.

Wow, I ate a crapload!
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I calculated my previous calories at anywhere from 400-600 over where I need to be to lose weight right now, depending on the type of day, on average. Which actually means I was eating at around my maintenance intake. Which makes sense, since I had been stable at my former weight for about 7 years. But everything I ate was junk.

I was 80 over on carbs, which mostly came from Dr Peppers, pasta, or dessert. I was over by about 15-30 on fat. And I was about 50 under in protein. And my fiber intake? That was about 10. I now get in 40-50 on average.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Bump because I was discussing why I thought I had gained weight to someone by describing what I ate and did(n't) do for exercise, but didn't think of actually logging it and seeing!
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I would imagine mine would be just as bad, not to mention the excess calories from just the amount of alcohol I would consume *shudders*
    I don't even wanna know, haha
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    It has been two years since I started this journey, I don't even remember what I would eat in a typical day. I would expect maybe 3000 calories, but I was much less active than I am now.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Very interesting to actually log it to see.
    I did stop and think about it, knowing I was eating 3 times too much.
    But it's interesting to also think about the other macros, not just cals.

I was eating TOO MUCH!
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I dont even remember what I ate.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    My first day on MFP I actually ate normally & logged it, & I really couldn't believe it.
    I was eating about 3500 calories per day. :I No exercise.
    lmao.
    It was sad, really.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I can eat like a man. Seriously, I have a huge appetite when it comes to good food so you can only imagine. Breakfast usually consisted of a breakfast sandwich (always sausage, egg, and cheese. Jimmy Dean or McDonalds). If I went to Mcd's, it'd be #2 with a large coke. Snack was potato chips. Lunch was Subway with a large Dr. Pepper. Snack was more potato chips. Dinner was fast food or restaurant food.