How much Sugar should I consume?

cryslynn1980
cryslynn1980 Posts: 111 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey... I started lookin over my diary logs trying to see why this weight dosent seem to be going anywhere and I am wondering if I am taking in too much sugar! How much should I take in a day that would be normal? And so yall think the carbs are alittle much? I am trying to play around to see what is working for me and this is my next step! thanks.:ohwell:

Replies

• I don't think you should consume sugar unless its naturally in your food, like fruits, whole grains, and some veggies.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Sugar is best eliminated from the diet as it serves no good purpose (that I know of), but for most of us that's not going to happen any time soon. Sugar is hard on your body- particularly your liver and blood vessels (and a myriad of other potential health problems). Refined carbs all act like sugar in your body- white pasta, bread, enriched flour, so it's best to switch to whole grains where you can.

If you're not already, you can change your diary settings to track sugar. MFP suggests 28 grams of sugar for me right now, but the lower the better. Sugars from whole fruits and milk sugars aren't as bad as added sugars and sugars from juices. Try to have your sugars earlier in the day so you have a better chance of burning them off, and less chance they'll be stored as fat in your body. Also, if you consume your sugars along with some fiber it helps slow down the absorption of the sugars and helps prevent insulin spikes.
  • liz72
    liz72 Posts: 35 Member
    I have looked at several of your food diary entries, and I have a couple suggestions.

1. Cut back on the bread. Carbs and sugar have the same effect and will create fat.
    2. Get in a couple more veggie servings that are not considered starches.
    3. Try to stay within 10g or less of sugar content in a serving (excluding naturally occurring sugar in fruits & such).

Hope that helps.
  • cryslynn1980
    cryslynn1980 Posts: 111 Member
    thanks guys this helps me out. :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.