"Cutting" without losing muscle mass - could use some tips!

Options
Hi all! I've already solicited my friends for advice on this one, but any other input would be appreciated!

As of mid-July, I've lost enough weight to be down to the size I want to be. However, although I am not QUITE the dreaded "skinny fat," I'm not as firmed up as I would prefer to be. In August I decided to suck it up and do something about it. Onward into the cycle of bulk and cut!

As of August 14, I was 144 lbs and 22.1% body fat (breakdown: 112.2 lbs lean, 31.8 lbs fat). I ate at 1900 for 11 days (my sedentary TDEE is around 1750-1775; I base my calculations off this and eat back exercise calories) but was feeling bloaty, so went down to 1750 for another 11 days.

As of this morning, I am 148.2 lbs and 22.6% body fat (breakdown: 114.7 lbs lean, 33.5 lbs fat). Putting on 2.5 lbs lean mass = yay! Putting on 1.7 lbs fat = less yay!

My ultimate goal is to end up between 18 and 20% body fat. I did the math, and if I got back down to 144 (lost 4.2 lbs) without losing any lean mass, that would put me at 20.4% body fat, which is not a bad start. I don't have any deadlines on how fast I want to do this.

My current plan is to eat at 1600 (sedentary TDEE - 10%) + exercise calories, continue to lift the heaviest weights I can manage 3x per week, keep my protein intake up (I have it set for 30% calories and tend to get between 115 and 145 grams per day).

So after all that babbling, here is the question: is there anything else I should be watching/monitoring to make sure that I don't lose any (or at least minimal) lean mass during this phase? Muscle avatars, I'm looking at you!

Replies

• McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Only read the title.

Lift as heavy as you can on a proper beginner strength routine. Realize strength gains will stall eventually. Eat a deficit.

More info http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're on the right track... keep doing what you're doing. It's a long and slow process, but you're getting there.

Unfortunately, when you bulk you can't avoid putting on a little fat. And when you cut, it's hard to avoid losing a little muscle. Keeping your suprlus/deficit small will keep the fat gains/muscle loss to a minimum, but will also slow the muscle gains/fat losses.

Patience is key.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    1 - sensible calorie deficit
    2 - decent protein intake (1gr per 1lb of lean body mass minumum)
    3 - continue to lift heavy, you should be able to at least maintain your current level of strength, possibly even get stronger on some movements
    4 - don't go overboard with the cardio

Which is everything you are already doing.

simple as that really.
  • McLifterPants
    Options
    Thank you guys!! I know this is a slow and at times frustrating process, I just want to make sure I'm doing it as close to "right" as I can!
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    My current plan is to eat at 1600 (sedentary TDEE - 10%) + exercise calories, continue to lift the heaviest weights I can manage 3x per week, keep my protein intake up (I have it set for 30% calories and tend to get between 115 and 145 grams per day).
    sounds perfect.
    btw...i'm doing the same thing...except i'm eating at 1650 which is normal daily activity TDEE-15% for me + exercise cals.

slow and steady wins the race! good luck!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty spot on to me!
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm doing basically the same thing - although i didn't have all the figures perfected like you. I know i want to be less body fat (i'm currently about 19%) but i'm not sure by how much. I have a wk and a half before i finish my first cut and i seem to have stalled or am coming to a head with my weight. so i'll begin increasing my calories when i'm done with this & calorie cycling.

I am also considering trying a pyramid method of lifting... I have been decreasing my reps every 4 wks & increasing my weight according to how I preform @ said reps & i'm ready for a bit of a change up - i like to keep my body guessing :)
  • McLifterPants
    Options
    I'm doing basically the same thing - although i didn't have all the figures perfected like you.

Ex-accountant here; living your life by numbers is a very hard habit to break! Luckily my numbers addiction fits in pretty well with having fitness goals, haha
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm doing basically the same thing - although i didn't have all the figures perfected like you.

Ex-accountant here; living your life by numbers is a very hard habit to break! Luckily my numbers addiction fits in pretty well with having fitness goals, haha

lol, hey maybe you could take my act prin I & financial math for me this semster lol, i (attempted) to start some homework last night .. & OYE VEY - numbers not my thing lol!