Trying to get back on track

Options
Hello everyone,

Back in January my two friends got me into My Fitness Pal so I could count calories and be more encouraged to exercise. I ended up using it the most, but that was because they ended up learning how to do these things on their own. For a while, I lost weight (14 lbs) but then I stopped using this- mainly due to laziness. At first, I was eating fine, but I stopped exercising. Eventually, I started eating poor food again. I don't know what I gained back so far, I've been too afraid to get on the scale.

I work at a job where I sit down all day, and I enjoy drawing a lot, so when I get home sometimes I end up sitting more. But I really want to start exercising more- I just need the motivation. I always make up stupid little excuses not to do it: not enough room in my house, not enough time, I can do it tomorrow. I wanted to exercise with friends, but most of them are far away (this isn't so much an excuse). Except for one friend, but I always end up shying away from asking her to join me.

As for eating, I think I can get that under control again, but sometimes I end up getting upset when I count calories. I really love food, so when I end up saying I can't have something like everyone else can I kinda get a little sad. Not all the time, because when I can find recipes that I can cook and are healthy for you I get really excited. I currently live at home (trying to raise funds so my boyfriend (fiances to be) and I can live together, which becomes a problem because my mother normally cooks dinner (though she will let me from time to time). This means too much meat products a week, and too much pasta (even though I love it). Because losing weight to her is only by lowering cholesterol, not calories or fat.

I guess I came to the forums because, even though I have support of friends, family, and boyfriend; they are all too nice on me and tell me I am fine the way I am. Maybe, but I am not happy with my body. Additionally, I didn't come to the forums before because I felt I could do it on my own. I hate to admit it but I can't. I'm not looking for people to hold my hand, but I think the forum is great for just reaching out to people from time to time. I've breezed through some of it and everyone seems so nice. And also, it would be nice to help others as well.

I guess that is really it, this ended up being way longer then expected. Sorry about that. :)

Replies

• stacykrook
    stacykrook Posts: 3 Member
    Options

As for eating, I think I can get that under control again, but sometimes I end up getting upset when I count calories. I really love food, so when I end up saying I can't have something like everyone else can I kinda get a little sad. Not all the time, because when I can find recipes that I can cook and are healthy for you I get really excited. I currently live at home (trying to raise funds so my boyfriend (fiances to be) and I can live together, which becomes a problem because my mother normally cooks dinner (though she will let me from time to time). This means too much meat products a week, and too much pasta (even though I love it). Because losing weight to her is only by lowering cholesterol, not calories or fat.

In my house i have the same problem. My father in law won't eat chicken or turkey and he thinks that a good mean is 6 salami sandwiches with butter and mayo ( SO GROSS) and my husband has the luxury of eating whatever he wants because he rides his bike to work. Im trying to portion out food so i can still have some of what they're eating and not eat too bad ( I had a really hard time on labor day though omg. Ribs and pasta salad :( ) I friended you so hopefully we can help each other out. Also Drink all the water you can. That helps sooooo much!!
  • KeisterBunny
    KeisterBunny Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It is hard to get back on track. Even harder when you have friend on MFP that don't hold you accountable. I realize that it is not your friend's job to give you that shove you need. But sometimes people need that little shove. For example, I have about a dozen or so friend on MFP. None of them have asked or questioned why it's been nearly a month for me to log in. My husband is the one that asked me about it. I know that I need to be held accountable for myself. Just asking for a gentle nudge sometimes.

As for the eating, it does not take a whole lot to make a big difference. Switching to whole grains, rather than enriched flour is HUGE! Whole grain pastas and breads are not only better for you, but the really make you feel full. And stacykrook was right, drink as much water as you can. If you get tired of water, I am a fan of Mio water enhancer. In the summer when it's hot, I like to munch on frozen grapes. Another GREAT idea I got from a friend of mine, is to freeze fruit cups. I get the ones that are packed in juice rather than syrup. Makes for a nice low calorie frozen treat.

Hope you get back on track! I am hoping I get there as well. It's been hard for me, as I am coping with a skating injury and I am limited to what I can do for exercise, therefore limiting my calorie intake has just been that much harder
  • DreamerZenko
    DreamerZenko Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    In my house i have the same problem. My father in law won't eat chicken or turkey and he thinks that a good mean is 6 salami sandwiches with butter and mayo ( SO GROSS) and my husband has the luxury of eating whatever he wants because he rides his bike to work. Im trying to portion out food so i can still have some of what they're eating and not eat too bad ( I had a really hard time on labor day though omg. Ribs and pasta salad :( ) I friended you so hopefully we can help each other out. Also Drink all the water you can. That helps sooooo much!!

Oh he's lucky. My bf is trying to lose a little weight too but he works retail so he is constantly moving around. So he can have more food and "worse for you" food. Parties are my diet killer! I accepted, thanks for friending me. I hope we can inspire one another as well! Water is great, I usually drink that and a cup of milk and that is it. I just need to drink more of it.

It is hard to get back on track. Even harder when you have friend on MFP that don't hold you accountable. I realize that it is not your friend's job to give you that shove you need. But sometimes people need that little shove. For example, I have about a dozen or so friend on MFP. None of them have asked or questioned why it's been nearly a month for me to log in. My husband is the one that asked me about it. I know that I need to be held accountable for myself. Just asking for a gentle nudge sometimes.

As for the eating, it does not take a whole lot to make a big difference. Switching to whole grains, rather than enriched flour is HUGE! Whole grain pastas and breads are not only better for you, but the really make you feel full. And stacykrook was right, drink as much water as you can. If you get tired of water, I am a fan of Mio water enhancer. In the summer when it's hot, I like to munch on frozen grapes. Another GREAT idea I got from a friend of mine, is to freeze fruit cups. I get the ones that are packed in juice rather than syrup. Makes for a nice low calorie frozen treat.

Hope you get back on track! I am hoping I get there as well. It's been hard for me, as I am coping with a skating injury and I am limited to what I can do for exercise, therefore limiting my calorie intake has just been that much harder

I would love to switch to grains, sadly my parents will not eat it. Whenever I can, I try to get smart white wonder bread (50 calories each slice) and fat free milk (even though my mom hates it). I love water, sometimes I forget to drink water though XD. Huh! That is a great idea actually! I was looking to do something interesting with strawberries! Thanks!

Thank you for the encouragement! Good luck to you too! Ouch! That sounds painful. Please recover safely!