My first spaghetti squash

Options
profgal43
profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
Finally got around to trying it this weekend...it has lots of potential!
This is what I made this weekend and we ate it all up quick! I am not good about measurements so these are approximate. Also I didn't do the calories for it yet.

One spaghetti squash: I baked mine whole at 350 for 1.5 hours. Then I opened it out, scooped out the seeds and scraped out the strands...worked very well. I have heard mixed reviews about microwaving it, but it can be done. I want to try it in the crockpot soon.

While the squash was cooking I sauteed 5 cloves of chopped garlic in olive oil until almost soft, added mushrooms and cooked til soft. Next I added a T of butter to the pan and a piece of crispy cooked bacon til the butter melted. I put in the squash and a handful of chopped fresh basil, sea salt, and pepper to taste and slightly browned the squash while mixing with the veggies. Finally I tossed in some real grated parmesan. That's it. Very easy and tasted decadent but it wasn't.

Next I want to try it with pesto. I am enjoying learning to love new foods!

Replies

• quickfin
    quickfin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mfunderburgh
    mfunderburgh Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ElicitDreams
    ElicitDreams Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I make mine very similar except I pan fry it with diced baby bellas, red onion, diced red pepper, zucchini, and garlic. It's so heavenly
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Great ideas. I'm still learning how to incorporate spaghetti squash into recipes so this post is of perfect timing.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Try this recipe. You will NOT regret it. It has been a staple in my house since the day we made it the first time!

http://easynaturalfood.com/2012/01/19/spaghetti-squash-bake/
  • jbdowns35
    Options
    It's excellent with basil and tomatoes!!! And also just palin old spaghetti sauce. Yum. Love spaghetti squash. So good & healthy!!!! So versatile, you can really do a million different things to it.
  • wrinju
    wrinju Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    We use it as speghetti and love it. But we don't bake ours. We just cut it in half lengthwise scoop out the seeds and boil for about 25 minutes or so and scoop it out. LOVE!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I make it like spaghetti the first night, but I have leftovers (with 2 people and nice meaty sauce).

The second day, usually for lunch, I make tuna patties.

1 can albacore tuna
    1 egg
    2 cups spaghetti squash (or about half a squash)
    2 oz cheese (I used mozzerella and cheddar)
    1 tbs parmesean
    sprinkling green onions
    salsa on side (for my husband)

Make patties and fry on both sides with a little coconut oil or whatever you use. Makes 4 decent sized patties!

The spaghetti squash ends up tasting a little like hashbrowns when cooked this way. SO GOOD!!! Tons of protein and veggie too. Bacon wouldn't go wrong in this, but I used my cals on the cheese instead.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious!!! I actually just had some with Chicken and Mushrooms, it is so versatile!

I'm gonna have to try your way, sounds really good :)
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments all. I was skeptical that my meat loving pasta loving sweetie would like it, but I didn't get seconds cause he finished it off. Oh man that "lasagna" recipe sounds great! Thanks for sharing!
    Here it is:
    Spaghetti Squash Bake
    1 spaghetti squash (medium size)
    1 tablespoons oil (butter/ghee/lard etc)
    1 onion, diced
    2 stalks celery, sliced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 pound ground beef or bison
    1 14oz can diced tomatoes
    1 green or red pepper, diced
    4-5 button mushrooms, sliced
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon basil
    1/4 teaspoon marjoram
    1/4 teaspoon thyme
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    2-3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
    Grated cheese for topping
    1. Heat oven to 350F.
    2. Slice spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Place both halves cut side down in a baking dish in a half inch of water. Bake squash for 40-50 minutes, until the skin can be easily pierced with a knife.
    3. Remove from oven and allow squash to cool a bit, then use a fork to remove the flesh. Place in a colander to drain.
    4. Heat oil in a large pan and saute the onion until golden.
    5. Add the celery and garlic and cook for a couple more minutes.
    6. Add the beef and lightly brown, stirring frequently.
    7. Add the tomatoes, pepper, mushrooms, salt, pepper, and all of the herbs/spices. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the liquid reduces.
    8. Stir in the parmesan. Taste, and adjust seasonings if required.
    9. Turn off the heat and mix about 2 cups of the spaghetti squash into the pan.
    10. Pour the meat/spaghetti squash mixture into an oven-proof lasagne or casserole dish.
    11. Spread about another cup of the remaining spaghetti squash over the top of the meat and sprinkle with grated cheese.
    13. Bake in the oven at 350F for 15 minutes or until the cheese starts to bubble.
    14. Remove from the oven and let it sit for a few minutes. Serve sprinkled with some extra parmesan cheese (optional)
  • IAMSHELOCK
    Options
    Ohh emm gee, that sounds delicious!!! I am definitely making this!
  • IAMSHELOCK
    Options
    I make it like spaghetti the first night, but I have leftovers (with 2 people and nice meaty sauce).

The second day, usually for lunch, I make tuna patties.

1 can albacore tuna
    1 egg
    2 cups spaghetti squash (or about half a squash)
    2 oz cheese (I used mozzerella and cheddar)
    1 tbs parmesean
    sprinkling green onions
    salsa on side (for my husband)

Make patties and fry on both sides with a little coconut oil or whatever you use. Makes 4 decent sized patties!

The spaghetti squash ends up tasting a little like hashbrowns when cooked this way. SO GOOD!!! Tons of protein and veggie too. Bacon wouldn't go wrong in this, but I used my cals on the cheese instead.

that sounds delicious!!!! I am making this this week.
  • dtmtdewit
    dtmtdewit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE spaghetti squash! We always ate it growing up at home. My kids like to eat it just like you would eat spaghetti noodles with meat sauce....I have a friend who sprinkles it with splenda and cinn. She says it taste like a dessert! I find that if you stab it with a knife a few times and microwave till a fork can stick through it's perfect every time!
  • Cinnamon0603
    Cinnamon0603 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Bump!!