Do you eat back your workout calories?

Options
I am not sure if I should be eating back my workout calories. What do you do?

Replies

• BrazenHarpy
    BrazenHarpy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I eat back most of mine. I'm a pretty avid biker (and a very reluctant jogger), and I've found that if I don't consistently eat back my exercise calories I can't perform as well when I bike or jog.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat mine. Some days I don't, but then again, some days I eat more than just the workout for that day. I only count my workouts, not cleaning, gardening, etc.
  • sonia6570
    sonia6570 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat mine. I've tried sticking to the suggested 1200 cals, but it started making me sick. I'm feeling pretty good if I've eaten 1400-1500 calories a day and doing my workouts.
  • Sakye
    Sakye Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I mostly don't. Not sure if it's a good thing to do, though...
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I eat back most of mine.

I feel best and steadily lose when I net 1400-1600 daily (recommended eating 1620 then I burn 300-600)
  • shenaniguns
    shenaniguns Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I try not to, but sometimes I will eat an extra 100-200 calories and I feel a lot less guilty when I have worked out. I know there are a lot of people on here that feel strongly that you always should eat back, but I just do not lose weight when I do.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Gotta find what works for you! For me, being hypothyroid, I can't eat more than an extra 200 calories, no matter how much I burn with exercise.
  • Nalgh94
    Nalgh94 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat all of it back but I do eat some back or else you'd go into starvation mode
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of different answer on here.. The folks who set up the website believe that's how it should work so they give you back your exercise calories. The idea behind that is, you already get a calorie deficit based on how active you are and how many pounds you said you'd like to lose per week. If you add exercise to the mix, you're creating an even bigger deficit. While I don't like the term "starvation mode" because it's misused and overused, the concept behind it is valid - too much of a deficit and your body will not want to give up stored fats because it's not getting enough nutrients.

That being said, many members find the calorie burns that MFP calculates are overestimates. If you'd like to try eating back your calories, maybe go with half to 2/3rds of what MFP gives you. Or invest in a good heart rate monitor (HRM).

I'd also like to add that it's not great for you body if you net below 1200 on a regular basis. You'll get that message from the website for a reason...

Best of luck!
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    I eat some but not all of them on the days when I am super hungry.
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    I DON'T. I had been told to eat back my exercise calories, so I did for 4 weeks. Instead of losing my normal 2lbs, I gained 3lbs. It doesn't work for me.
  • ravihira1892
    Options
    i pretty much eat all mine but i am on a bulk after all!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I don't, but I'm going to be adding more exercise to my normally sedentary routine, so I'm looking to try eating back my exercise calories these next few weeks. I'm prepared for my body to gain a few pounds as it works itself out.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you setup your goals... there is no 1 right answer.

Read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/383956-exercise-calories-explained?hl=exercise+calories+explained
  • CallOnRo
    CallOnRo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do not lose weight when I eat back my exercise calories. That is what works for me.
  • ebutters1
    Options
    Yes, As long as I maintain my limit. otherwise I'm starving. Plus, I thought that is what you are supposed to do. No?
  • diztimetoshine
    diztimetoshine Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I recently checked about with this with a fitness expert. She instructed me not to eat back my calories based upon my activity... I have a desk job and with trying to make it to the gym an hour a day (5-6 days per week) and my house work.. She told me if I had an strenuous job such as construction worker, laborer, ect or was an extreme exercise buff, then she would suggest I eat back the calories. Now, I am def not eating the calories, haven't been able to work out due to a foot injury (sprained it walking my dog) having MRI on Friday.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I do not. I eat 1200 calories per MFP and put in my exercise at the end of the day. I am also doing WW and eat ONLY my daily points and rarely ever go over. That being said I don't do massive hard core work outs like some people do. I go for walks 2's a day with my dog, do crunches and use some weights. I lose on average 1.9 pounds per week. Its working for me so I'm not going to knock it. If you need to eat more to lose weight because your exercising a great deal then eat your work out points but I don't personally need them.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed so that you EAT BACK your exercise calories. It's already built a deficit for you.

I always eat back all of mine. You do not want to consistently net too low.
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    I eat them back as much as I can. :)