how do I record strength training

Options
2»

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    easy. hrms measure heartrate. And then use a formula based upon OXYGEN consumption per heart beat to guestimate calorie burn.

strength training uses the lactic acid and ATP-CP energy systems to power the muscles. not the cardio system. neither of these systems use oxygen. no oxygen used means the hrm formula is utterly useless.

HRM`s are only remotely accurate as long as you`re using your bodies cardio energy system AND doing work with it. thats it. Meaning things like going for a casual walk is not accurate as you`re not using your cardio system, but your much more efficient fatty acid system to do work. on the same token, if you`re not doing the work, it`s not accurate. sitting in heat your heartrate increases, but your metabolism does not for example. alternately burn victims can have a 6fold increase in metabolism.. yet don`t have a 6fold increase in heartrate to account for this huge increase in calorie burn. hrm is a very specific device. used outside of it`s parameters and it`s very unreliable.

Pretty much this

People need to remember:

An HRM measures heart rate. It does not actually measure what you are burning.
  • Thundermountain
    Options
    LOL Jynus... Seems like you get your calorie burn from trolling forums... Good work.

Next time, try the words... HRM's are not a true measure of caloric burn in strength training,, then state your case....

Utterly inaccurate is rather strong... But again, if your caloric burn is flaming forums,,, you must be really fit...

All in good fun,, thanks for the conversation...
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Utterly inaccurate is rather strong... But again, if your caloric burn is flaming forums,,, you must be really fit...

All in good fun,, thanks for the conversation...
    problem is, it`s the truth. the calorie burn from strength training varies greatly and is dependent upon intensity far moreso than time or heartrate. I know many friends and colleges who eat like freaking horses with very little gym time simply because they are able to lift stupid amounts of weight that the caloric requirement to repair their tissue is immense. same token I know more than a few who get so little from their training that they prefer just to do cardio as it`s a better calorie burn for them. It`s rather strong cause it`s true. Am I not being sensitive enough to the situation for calling the sky utterly not red?
  • knittingwitch
    knittingwitch Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    thanks guys
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    HRM have never been accurate in the first place anyway, no matter which activity you are on. Even if they are calibrated to the HR response to cardio exercice, the margin error remains huge.

Ultimately one should be able to know how much he burns using his maintenance as a starting point and observing the weight variations. But by extension, with an inaccuracy in the first place with cardio, that won't change a damn when it comes to strength.

The more you deviate from the aerobic steady state, and the less you would find a correlation between HR and VO2 uptake.
    For instance with HIIT the margin error is even bigger.

I usually put a generic figure - using my calories intakes over the weight variation to determine how much I roughly burn per training.
    What matter is that you remain "realistic" and supposing the intensity during your trainings is constant, you should be able to come with a figure that would suit you