Kombucha

2»

Replies

• LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    DW and I haven't made our own yet, but we buy the synergy ones at our local Sprouts market (Formerly Sunflower Market). My favorite is probably the Gingerade.

The benefit of kombucha and kefir drinks is more that they are full of probiotics and prebiotics. These are healthy bacteria that really help keep your gut running well.
  • I have not started fermenting my own yet, need to get a mother mushroom first.

You can pretty easily grow your own mushroom from a bottle of GT's or other plain organic store bought kombucha. This is the recipe I used and it worked out for me. http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-to-grow-a-kombucha-scoby/
  • Hi, I have heard about it but it and have seen people who use it but it smells awful! How do you use it and how has it helped?? thanks!

Linda
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    I'm addicted too Synergy - I discovered them a couple of months ago after a two hour walk in a heat wave. I'd be a bit scared to make my own, fermenting is a tricky process.
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 378 Member
    Hi, I have heard about it but it and have seen people who use it but it smells awful! How do you use it and how has it helped?? thanks!

Linda
    it doesn't smell bad to me, just like alcohol.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    I love bottled kombucha, but I'd be afraid to make my own for fear that I might make myself sick. :tongue: Don't wanna mess with that fermentation process!

I don't think you can hurt yourself. if it ferments too long it tastes like vinegar, so you know if it's been fermenting too long just by taste.
    I love kombucha. But if you don't think you can make yourself sick when making your own, you REALLY need to educate yourself!
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 378 Member
    I love bottled kombucha, but I'd be afraid to make my own for fear that I might make myself sick. :tongue: Don't wanna mess with that fermentation process!

I don't think you can hurt yourself. if it ferments too long it tastes like vinegar, so you know if it's been fermenting too long just by taste.
    I love kombucha. But if you don't think you can make yourself sick when making your own, you REALLY need to educate yourself!
    Sorry! What I meant was, It usually tastes REALLY funky if it is off. Also, I know ppl that have been making it for years, so I'm sure they will give me some help if I need it.