looking for a kitcen appliance that can do the following...

Options
hey everyone.
i need some suggestions on a machine that can emulsify, chop, blend, etc.
i don't want a one job tool.
i want something that does everything.
i would greatly appreciate some input.
thanks!

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    What falls under your "etc." section? Because a good blender (or an amped up blender like a Ninja) or even a food processor can do the things you actually listed out. I tend to go back and forth between my Ninja and my food processor depending on what's clean at the time for any of those things.

But depending on what your "etc." encompasses, it may tend toward blender or food processor more specifically, or have need to look into something other than the basic options.
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    thanks!
    i'm not sure what etc. is for really.
    i just want to be able to make fruit and veggie smoothies, preferably without wasting much of the fruit/veggie.
    and i'd like to be able to make salsas, dips, things like that.

i saw an infomercial last night for some healthy thing montel williams was selling.
    and i liked the concept of emulsifying fruits and veggies, but the appliance seemed a bit limited in what it could do.
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi...I have something called a "Shake -n- take" I do everything with this....love it!!!!!!!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    thanks!
    i'm not sure what etc. is for really.
    i just want to be able to make fruit and veggie smoothies, preferably without wasting much of the fruit/veggie.
    and i'd like to be able to make salsas, dips, things like that.

i saw an infomercial last night for some healthy thing montel williams was selling.
    and i liked the concept of emulsifying fruits and veggies, but the appliance seemed a bit limited in what it could do.

Montel Williams advertises the Healthmaster blender. It's similar to the Ninja and the Vitamix (though closer to the Vitamix price, I think)

And it sounds like a really good blender/Ninja-style blender is what you're looking for. I've had other blenders and other "smoothie maker" kind of things and they aren't going to have the power that the higher end ones do. They're going to be able to fully emulsify fruits and veggies into a liquid (with water added) that is smoother to be able to drink than most of the lower end models.

For the rough chop on things like salsa you'll just want to use the pulse option and stop when it gets to the consistency that you want rather than just blending it smooth. But a quality blender will be able to get everything chopped to an even chop, whereas you'll find yourself shaking a cheaper model trying to get the stuff on top to chop down before the stuff on the bottom turns to liquid.

I went for the Ninja because it was a good price to start with, plus they carry it at Bed Bath and Beyond, so I could use a 20% off coupon for it to make it even cheaper. And it's been a great tool to have.

That said, I do still break out my food processor when I do stuff like home made hummus and my husband prefers it for his pestos, but I'm sure that they could both also be done in the Ninja. I just always grew up with both tools and switch back and forth between them for various things based mostly on which I've always used, the same with the hubby.