crossfitter needs help with diet!

Options
I have recently started doing cross fit at our local gym and I'm loving it! However, I know that I will have to change my eating habits to get the full benefits from this type of workout. I've been told higher protein, lower carb. Several people who I workout with are doing the paleo diet, but I'm not sure I am disciplined enough to follow that strict of a regimen. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    When I did Crossfit 5 days/week, I did the same diet I'm doing now. Low fat, high carb, limited processed foods. Basically, they will try to tell you Paleo is the way to go but almost any diet will do although depending on your frequency, you may need to increase your calories.
  • bdrawbaugh
    Options
    First you need to know how many calories you need per day. Take you body weight multiplied by 10 and then subtract 200.
    I started a workout program at our local gym in February and since then because I follow a high protein low carb diet I am down 61.5 lbs. and still trying to lose more. My calories per day are 1400-1500 range. I set my meals at 400 healthy calories, that is breakfast, lunch, and dinner with two 150 snacks one at 10:30 am and one at 3:00 pm. Protein shakes and bars are great to add for any meal or snack. Stay away from all whites, such as breads, rice, and pasta etc. Change to all wheat products if you can eat them. Eat mostly lean chicken, turkey and fish.
    Example for my yesterdays meal.
    Breakfast-2 cups coffee with l tsp creamer, 290 cal protein drink, 2 slices turkey bacon, 1 whole egg and 9 Tbsp egg whites, 1/2 c watermelon,- Total 464 cal.
    Lunch-whole wheat grilled chicken tortilla, 1 stick weight watchers string cheese, 1/2 Pure protein peanut butter bar, Total- 340 cal
    Dinner- 4 oz 93/7 ground turkey patty, 1 c sauteed yellow squash, 1/ sweet potatoe Total-322 cal
    Snacks 3/4 pure protein choc peanut butter bar, @ 10:30am and 24 raw almonds @ 3:00 Total 310 cal
    If you eat fruit which has natural carbs eat them in early day.
    I know this sounds hard to do. I was just like you and was not a discipline person. But, I finally got tired of being fat and never could go to a store and buy pretty clothes.
    Good luck with you weight loss journey.
  • QueChulaYo
    Options
    Girl you add some powder protein to your oatmeal.... or double scoop with silk almond milk, fresh or frozen strawberries (low carb, no strawberries) quick and easy ....... add some veggies to your diet.... ..... i am not really a veggie person but, something so simple as 2 cups of baby spinich and 1 cup of watermelon and 16 oz of water add ice...and drink .... with fill you up and give you some fiber as well.... its great when you are thirsty after a hard workout ...i drink it 3-4 times per day ... also helps with h20.... finding the right balance for you is key! Christina:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • hottiewannabe
    hottiewannabe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!! These are some great ideas and I wil try to incorporate them into my daily routine. Keep up the great work!!