Bruise Easily...

Options
Hi there,

I have been doing a lot of shoveling and mattocking over the last few days and, as my upper body strength isn't as good as a man's (!) I have to use my right leg as a wedge for the shovel. The upshot of which, my right leg is covered in bruises and it looks like I've been hit by a car!

Does anyone else have a problem where they bruise easily and, if so, is there any solution?

Thanks, T xx

Replies

• Tickateeboo
    Tickateeboo Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bump :ohwell:
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    kinda difficult to give you advice because i don't know what mattocking is however my first thought was additional padding for your right leg. can you switch off legs? maybe that will help. you might want to talk with your doctor as well (just to rule out any medical issues)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,047 Member
    Options
    Iron, you may need it.

Start tracking Iron in your Food Diary, make sure you are getting your recommended amount.
  • Tickateeboo
    Options
    Iron, you may need it.

Start tracking Iron in your Food Diary, make sure you are getting your recommended amount.

Thank you! I will have a look at this. Always bruised easily, I'll do more research into this. :smile:
  • Tickateeboo
    Options
    kinda difficult to give you advice because i don't know what mattocking is however my first thought was additional padding for your right leg. can you switch off legs? maybe that will help. you might want to talk with your doctor as well (just to rule out any medical issues)

Hi!

:laugh: Yes, a mattock is like a pick axe, but with a wider flat blade. I think you may be right about the padding, not sure how to go about this, though, there must be something out there that won't have me bound up like an american footballer. :smile:
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Iron, you may need it.

Thank you! I will have a look at this. Always bruised easily, I'll do more research into this. :smile:

She's right. I'm iron deficient and I bruise if you look too hard.
  • Tickateeboo
    Options

PS - love your profile pic. Not sure what you were doing, but it looks like fun!
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I have heard that weight loss can cause this, but I havent done any research. I have also noticed alot more bruising than normal and I don't know where they come from.
  • Tickateeboo
    Options
    Iron, you may need it.

She's right. I'm iron deficient and I bruise if you look too hard.

Ah..thanks AJ, gonna look into this. :flowerforyou:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Iron may be a good thing to track. I've got high iron due to hemochromatosis, and I simply don't bruise. I always thought it was because I was bruising under the fat and I just didn't see it at the surface, but with a loss of 60 lbs (and continued high iron), I still don't bruise.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    If you're doing heavy duty work like pick-axing or mattocking, then bruises aren't so surprising.

You mention that you have always bruised easily--a couple of different things could be going on here... You could have a coagulopathy--platelet defects and factor deficiencies come to mind. Talk to your doctor--he/she would do a workup that entails a fairly significant blood draw. Either of these diagnoses have treatments that your doctor would oversee (or send you to a hematologist).

You could, too, just have leaky capillaries. Not really any way to diagnose this, and if the bruising isn't significant, then it's just something you'll always have (Often called "Simple Easy Bruising").

BTW--easy bruising becomes more prevalent as you age, and certain drugs/foods can also exacerbate it.
  • Tickateeboo
    Options
    Iron may be a good thing to track. I've got high iron due to hemochromatosis, and I simply don't bruise. I always thought it was because I was bruising under the fat and I just didn't see it at the surface, but with a loss of 60 lbs (and continued high iron), I still don't bruise.

Hi Sullus,

This is interesting stuff. I'm not up on what is high in iron. I'm not really into taking supplements, so have to do some research into what foods are good for iron.

T xx
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options

Hi Sullus,

This is interesting stuff. I'm not up on what is high in iron. I'm not really into taking supplements, so have to do some research into what foods are good for iron.

T xx

Here ya go!
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/health-and-wellness/iron-rich-foods
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Hi Sullus,

T xx

I hope you like clams .. god I miss clams.
  • Tickateeboo
    Options

Hi Sullus,

T xx

Here ya go!
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/health-and-wellness/iron-rich-foods

Thank you! The bruises also hurt like hell, so I am resolved to try and see if I can get to the nub of the matter. :flowerforyou:
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It may be bogus but I was always told that if you bruise easily you should eat more bananas. That could be along the same vein as needing more iron though.
  • Tickateeboo
    Options

Hi Sullus,

T xx

I hope you like clams .. god I miss clams.

You know I've never had a clam! :ohwell:
  • Tickateeboo
    Options
    It may be bogus but I was always told that if you bruise easily you should eat more bananas. That could be along the same vein as needing more iron though.

I always thought bananas were potassium. According to Doctor Who, anyway!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

PS - love your profile pic. Not sure what you were doing, but it looks like fun!

thanks :happy: that was at the finish line of my color me rad 5k race. very fun!