Fruit and Sugar

Options
So I went way over on my sugar today, because I had grilled fresh pineapple and grapes and rasberries. So how does that differ from eating regular sugar?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So I went way over on my sugar today, because I had grilled fresh pineapple and grapes and rasberries. So how does that differ from eating regular sugar?
    In that there was a bit of fibre and the odd vitamin in the fruits. It would look pretty similar in your bloodstream.

Turn off sugar tracking or set a limit consistent with your diet. The standard number is a bit arbitrary, and low.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted this. What is the recommendation post Gastric bypass for the intake of sugar whether it is fruit sugar or sugar alcohols? My info pack says absolutely no white sugar...I get that. I do see on some folks food diaries that they are eating some candy and other sugar containing foods. Wondering how that affects those who do indulge? How does the tummy handle it? Are fruit sugars more tolerable than white sugar would be?
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Be mindful of added sugar. I'm eating around 4 bananas today because Taso said I could. No worries in my world.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I should add that I am known to eat a box of Lucky Charms when the mood strikes. I look at my carbs in proportion to other macros (40carb/30fat/30protein) and I try to get at least 25g of fiber a day for health reasons. Any and all sugar is fair game for me and I don't track it.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I love fruit
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Fructose is a sugar molecule that just needs to be rearranged to be used as energy by the body (glucose). Fructose is the only molecule that is "ready" for burn. Lactose and Sucrose are close seconds as they are two moleculed sugars. Sucrose is one glucose and one fructose; an enzyme or bacteria eats this and then spits out the split molecule and then fructose is rearranged and it's ready for sugar. Because the bacteria in your body had to have something to do (metabolize) it prevented that bacteria from eating the stuff you want it to eat (the nutrient dense foods) for the amount of time that it spent digesting the sugar molecule.

Starch aka complex carbs are like sucrose and lactose in the sense that the friendly bacteria in your body has to eat it and spit out knew molecules before your body can use it as energy; only with starches it has to be eaten and spat back out 3 to 10 times before it becomes fuel (or little parts of fuel break off as the molecules split). This is why it is good for diabetics because it helps hit the blood sugar at a steady and slow rate (well, slow if you didn't eat a large serving of starch). But for us who don't have diabetes, starch is actually not a great idea because it keeps insulin in our blood too long and causes us to store fat instead of burn it when we exercise.

I prefer simple carbs to complex ones. You might be the other way around so you're not eating as much, but food is always available to me since I am an at home Dad, so I just eat 40g of grapes or 1/4 cup of blueberries when my body's energy dips. So much safer than having your blood sugar spike due to carb overload. Also, the bad thing about complex carbs is the amount of empty calories that are in it. Not a single calorie in a complex carb is nutritional. Fruit at least has fiber, nutrients, and minerals.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Also, the bad thing about complex carbs is the amount of empty calories that are in it. Not a single calorie in a complex carb is nutritional. Fruit at least has fiber, nutrients, and minerals.
    Potato and bread, both complex carbs, also come with fibre, nutrients, fats, minerals and importantly protein the most important nutrient of all (hence its name). Empty calories ? I think not.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Also, the bad thing about complex carbs is the amount of empty calories that are in it. Not a single calorie in a complex carb is nutritional. Fruit at least has fiber, nutrients, and minerals.
    Potato and bread, both complex carbs, also come with fibre, nutrients, fats, minerals and importantly protein the most important nutrient of all (hence its name). Empty calories ? I think not.

Potatoes I support as they are naturally complex, but I am a firm believer that the reason we are obese in this 1st world country is because of grains and processed foods.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    The sugar spike discussion from DustinLeeSamp is excellent. Raw fruit is a good thing. I never limit my raw fruit and I never limit my raw/steamed vegetables or cooked beans of any kind. Calories be damned. Fruit and vegetables are exactly as stated: full of fiber, nutrients and minerals. Some starchy vegetables, such as potatoes, sweet potatoes and squashes, have nutrients and minerals as well. I limit those to about a cup or so a day. Bread is limited to only real whole wheat/potato/rice breads -- no white junk -- and that's only a few slices a week if any. Processed food is totally empty calories and a waste of money -- I avoid it all. Yep, I've been losing a steady 3-5 pounds a month doing this, so no complaints here.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I'd say you did just fine eating that. I eat at least 4 raw fruits a day (along with huge amounts of raw/steamed vegetables) and with fruit I never have a sugar spike or get the shakes. I like the idea of grilling fresh pineapple... hadn't thought of that before.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

Fructose is a sugar molecule that just needs to be rearranged to be used as energy by the body (glucose). Fructose is the only molecule that is "ready" for burn. Lactose and Sucrose are close seconds as they are two moleculed sugars. Sucrose is one glucose and one fructose; an enzyme or bacteria eats this and then spits out the split molecule and then fructose is rearranged and it's ready for sugar. Because the bacteria in your body had to have something to do (metabolize) it prevented that bacteria from eating the stuff you want it to eat (the nutrient dense foods) for the amount of time that it spent digesting the sugar molecule.

Starch aka complex carbs are like sucrose and lactose in the sense that the friendly bacteria in your body has to eat it and spit out knew molecules before your body can use it as energy; only with starches it has to be eaten and spat back out 3 to 10 times before it becomes fuel (or little parts of fuel break off as the molecules split). This is why it is good for diabetics because it helps hit the blood sugar at a steady and slow rate (well, slow if you didn't eat a large serving of starch). But for us who don't have diabetes, starch is actually not a great idea because it keeps insulin in our blood too long and causes us to store fat instead of burn it when we exercise.

I prefer simple carbs to complex ones. You might be the other way around so you're not eating as much, but food is always available to me since I am an at home Dad, so I just eat 40g of grapes or 1/4 cup of blueberries when my body's energy dips. So much safer than having your blood sugar spike due to carb overload. Also, the bad thing about complex carbs is the amount of empty calories that are in it. Not a single calorie in a complex carb is nutritional. Fruit at least has fiber, nutrients, and minerals.

I'm just going to say that most of this is misinformation. I don't even want to begin breaking it all down but if you'd like me to, I will.

@OP You will be fine going over sugars because of fruit. Natural sugars will not harm you unless you are a diabetic or hypoglycemic.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

You've lost 124 lbs, and you're concerned about fruit sugar?

Does not make sense to me.
  • scsohn
    scsohn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was told to not exceed 10 g sugar per meal by my surgeon but that was right after surgery
  • scsohn
    scsohn Posts: 10 Member
    Options

For my body there is no difference...If I eat too much sugar (of either kind) I will be very ill
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    The sugar limit on MFP is stupidly low.

I'd also like to add that the guy who said that complex carbs are void of nutrients is very misinformed.
  • jomorie
    jomorie Posts: 24 Member
    Options

You've lost 124 lbs, and you're concerned about fruit sugar?

Does not make sense to me.

^^ agreed