carbs from fruit

Options
I always seem to be totaling high in carbs everyday but I noticed it's mostly from fruit. These carbs should be fine compared to white carbs (pasta, potatoes, etc), am I correct? I've heard some carbs are good. I just want to double check. Thanks!

Replies

• Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Once it hits your digestive system, your body turns it all to sugar and processes it the same....sugar is sugar. And yes, bread, pasta, potatoes are sugar once they hit your system. However the bread/pasta etc is more damaging to your health, but again, sugar is sugar.
  • _granola
    Options
    I don't see from your diary where you are consuming an excessive amount of carbs? I see calories, fat, and protein that are probably too low, but not a high amount of carbs.

But to answer your question, fruit is more than carbs. It's good for you. Eat it. Potatoes and pasta aren't so bad either.
  • Mmmary212
    Options
    and just to add....eating an apple is going to be much better for you than a piece of bread....there's really no nutrtional value in the bread (argue if you want)...so the apple is better for you.
  • _granola
    Options
    Once it hits your digestive system, your body turns it all to sugar and processes it the same....sugar is sugar. And yes, bread, pasta, potatoes are sugar once they hit your system. However the bread/pasta etc is more damaging to your health, but again, sugar is sugar.

Carbs are carbs and sugar is sugar, but pasta and potatoes are damaging to your health? Hmm.
  • Mmmary212
    Options
    and your diary shows your carbs relatively low for not doing low carb (I'm assuming you arent)....so I dont see a concern. If you ARE doing low carb, then your carbs may be high. So there you go.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking most fruits contain complex carbs which are the more desirable of the two.If you're staying within your total calories and losing wight I wouldn't worry about it too much (if you're involved in endurance sports like running, biking etc carbs are your friend).
  • _granola
    Options
    and just to add....eating an apple is going to be much better for you than a piece of bread....there's really no nutrtional value in the bread (argue if you want)...so the apple is better for you.

You're right. Bread has no nutritional value.

Ingredients in the bread I eat: Organic whole sprouted wheat*, organic flax (organic whole flax seeds*, organic ground flax seeds*), water, organic cane sugar*, vital wheat gluten, yeast, sea salt, cultured wheat, citric acid.

Nutrition Info:

2u6lqww.png

Yeah... nothing good for you in that!
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i just went through you last week of entries and you only went over on carbs once....I consider that good!! I seem to go over every day between my fruit and my love of bread/pasta. I think you are doing just fine! :smile:
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

You're right. Bread has no nutritional value.

Ingredients in the bread I eat: Organic whole sprouted wheat*, organic flax (organic whole flax seeds*, organic ground flax seeds*), water, organic cane sugar*, vital wheat gluten, yeast, sea salt, cultured wheat, citric acid.

Nutrition Info:

2u6lqww.png

Yeah... nothing good for you in that!

Your bread doesn't have any B12, I wouldn't eat it
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

Not all sugars are equal. Your body breaks them all down in different ways. Simple sugars, like the stuff you put in coffee, and what's in candy, breaks down super fast and gives you an insulin spike. Sugars in fruit, milk, and other natural products need to be broken down multiple times before your body can use them. They will not cause an insulin spike, and are much better for you.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Not all sugars are equal. Your body breaks them all down in different ways. Simple sugars, like the stuff you put in coffee, and what's in candy, breaks down super fast and gives you an insulin spike. Sugars in fruit, milk, and other natural products need to be broken down multiple times before your body can use them. They will not cause an insulin spike, and are much better for you.

Sorry bud, fruits have simple sugars
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking most fruits contain complex carbs which are the more desirable of the two.

This is wrong. Fruit contains SIMPLE carbs. Bread/pasta/cake contain complex carbs.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

What's that prayer again - Give us this day our daily fruit ? No, bread. A staple of many diets, 13% protein as opposed to practically 0% in an apple.

66 : 14 : 20 vs 95 : 3 : 2 - the only nutrition in an apple is the optional macronutrient - carbs.

"No nutritional value in bread" - is there no end to the **** that gets posted on this site ?
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    I don't see from your diary where you are consuming an excessive amount of carbs? I see calories, fat, and protein that are probably too low, but not a high amount of carbs.

But to answer your question, fruit is more than carbs. It's good for you. Eat it. Potatoes and pasta aren't so bad either.

I agree with this.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Sorry bud, fruits have simple sugars

Also, lactose (milk sugar) is a simple carb.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Your diet is low carb in the extreme! I get about 200 grams of carbs each day, and it's not hindering my progress in the least.

And as others have said, sugar is sugar. The only difference is the number of micro-nutrients you take in from different carb sources.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

What's that prayer again - Give us this day our daily fruit ? No, bread. A staple of many diets, 13% protein as opposed to practically 0% in an apple.

66 : 14 : 20 vs 95 : 3 : 2 - the only nutrition in an apple is the optional macronutrient - carbs.

"No nutritional value in bread" - is there no end to the **** that gets posted on this site ?

I agree with about bread, but apples do have vitamins and minerals and some fatty acids.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Please quit posting misinformation.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    but apples do have vitamins and minerals and some fatty acids
    Indeed they do, but how much ?

0.4g of fats & fatty acids in 242g of apples (half a pound) vs 25g of sugar
    19% of daily vit C, 7% of vit K, 5% of B6, others below 5%
    Only potassium above 5% of DV at 7%

A single slice of wheat bread has several minerals at or above 5% of DV.

Fruit gets way to good a rap relative to its real merit, we've been brainwashed !
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Fructose (the naturally occurring sugar found in fruit) is a monosaccharide - in other words a simple sugar (the clue is in the mono prefix...)

However, it comes packaged with good stuff, including vitamins and fibre (which makes it harder to digest and therefore dampens its effect on blood sugar levels though admittedly not by a huge amount.)

Fructose is the optimal substance for topping up liver glycogen which when full sends a stop eating signal to the brain (making fruit rather hard to over eat unless you are purposefully stuffing your face with it)

As an average about 50 - 60 grams of fructose is not going to trouble normal individuals without relevant medical conditions (hyperinsulinemia or hypertriglyceridemia.) To put this into context you will be needing to eat about over 8 - 10 servings of fruit a day before starting to worry. Most people barely manage to eat 2-3 servings a day...

Eat fruit with a clear conscience. And carrots (but do limit fruit juice and dried fruit in all seriousness. You might as well eat chocolate instead...)