Supplements to combat loose skin?

Options
Hi all! I am 34 years old and I have more than 100 lbs to lose (not sure how much more than 100 lbs, i'm not really thinking about it past the 100 mark at this point!) and I know that at my age I could have some issues with loose skin. I just wonder if there are any REAL supplements (oral or topical) that will help me combat the loose skin issue? Just curious. I'm not hung up on it, I'm going to lose weight regardless...but I just wonder if I should be doing something now to aid in the loose skin issue? Besides working out and eating right. I'm trying to lose the weight slowly, not crash dieting. So far in the last 2.5 weeks I've lost 5 lbs. Any imput would be appreciated!

Replies

• tnfelipe
    Options
    Collagen.

And always stretch after any workout (be it strenght or cardio).
  • kristiontheinside
    Options
    I take biotin. I don't know if it works or not, but it's worth taking!
  • MzzAshley
    MzzAshley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just seen a video the other day from a guy who was once 400 pounds, he lost about 200lbs and says he doesnt have bad skin, he says a little here and there. He says he dry skin brushed and took MSM, he also ate a raw food diet (not sure if that had any effect on his skin outcome).

I plan on dry skin brushing again (I did a few times years ago but never made a habit of it to see any difference) I also picked up some MSM from the Vitamin Shoppe, I figured it was worth a try, I also read that for some people it helped with hair growth (Which I need help with too!) so figured why not, it was about $10. I dont expect a miracle, I know my skin will never look like someones who was never overweight.

ETA: Heres his youtube video talking about skin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_psJfckeog&feature=player_embedded
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    what is MSM?
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    There will always be someone willing to sell you something, but sadly, I think loose skin is mainly due to genetics, and possibly how long you have carried the extra weight. Wishing you a good genetic advantage, OP!
  • vblair77
    vblair77 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, my genetics are NOT great. BUT, I'd rather be flabby and thin than have it all stretched out like this! Thanks everyone! I need to find out what MSM is. I desperately need to make a day trip to the local GNC and learn about what I should and shouldnt take. :smile:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    There will always be someone willing to sell you something, but sadly, I think loose skin is mainly due to genetics, and possibly how long you have carried the extra weight. Wishing you a good genetic advantage, OP!

I was just going to reply something similar!! It's genetics. I was never that heavy but still have loose skin...damn genetics. And yet I've seen people lose a great deal of weight and look firmer than I.

Here's to hoping you hit the lottery in the gene pool:drinker:
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

I was just going to reply something similar!! It's genetics. I was never that heavy but still have loose skin...damn genetics. And yet I've seen people lose a great deal of weight and look firmer than I.

Here's to hoping you hit the lottery in the gene pool:drinker:

And a third on the genetics kick. Seriously, don't waste your money on the snake oil some high school kid is going to sell you at GNC.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    MSM is used mostly for osteoarthritis and is often times combined with Glucosamin. It is also know to be an anti-inflamatory. I don't know how that would help the hanging skin. Biotin is taken by cancer patients and people who have had bariatric surgery for hair loss. How does that help the skin?

Don't get me wrong, if there is an answer I would be all over it. I was 314 lbs., and after losing 114 lbs.( and bad genetics) my arms are...floppy, sloppy, hanging badly. I met a lady in her mid 40's @ WW. She had lost over 100 lbs. and looked great!! I was looking for the hanging skin thing and had to ask, why she didn't have it. She said when she got about 50lbs down she started paying attention to her water intake and exercised every day.

I think our best answer is water, and exercising.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I've been told cocoa butter lotion - the same kind pregnant women used to avoid stretch marks as their skin stretches.
    It works the reverse way, too.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I just seen a video the other day from a guy who was once 400 pounds, he lost about 200lbs and says he doesnt have bad skin, he says a little here and there. He says he dry skin brushed and took MSM, he also ate a raw food diet (not sure if that had any effect on his skin outcome).

I plan on dry skin brushing again (I did a few times years ago but never made a habit of it to see any difference) I also picked up some MSM from the Vitamin Shoppe, I figured it was worth a try, I also read that for some people it helped with hair growth (Which I need help with too!) so figured why not, it was about $10. I dont expect a miracle, I know my skin will never look like someones who was never overweight.

ETA: Heres his youtube video talking about skin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_psJfckeog&feature=player_embedded

Dry brushing makes a HUGE difference all on its own.

I am not encountering loose skin as I lose weight, but my way of eating is high fat and moderate protein, all natural foods.

I moisturize with coconut oil after showering.

I think the collective group of things all have an effect.
  • vblair77
    vblair77 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Wow...GREAT information everyone!!! I think before I take ANY otc supplements I'll have to clear it with my Doctor (no thyroid, had it removed a few months back). So I'm not sure what I can take or what I should avoid (other than Soy). That being said, I really like the water intake and lotion advise. Although, the cream sure didnt help me during my pregnancies. Maybe it'll help during weight loss though. Time will tell. Thanks everyone!
  • rubyJacksonn
    Options
    Avoid being skinny fat because when you loose weight you're shrinking the fat and tissue that support your skin.
  • Hgdlrd
    Options
    Pardon my ignorance but what is dry skin brushing, never heard of this?
    Thanks for any explanation.
  • oneamjuly
    Options
    Well, here's my unscientific (and PERSONAL, so it might not translate to other people) opinion, but I already take MSM and it has been amazing for my skin, hair and nails. I've always had problems with all three: dry hair, dry skin, and soft, peeling nails. After I began taking MSM (6000 mg a day in two batches of 3000mg) my hair actually became more glossy, my skin is soft, and my nails are tough! And trust me, I never have the placebo effect from anything, unfortunately (haha.) I've spent literally hundreds of dollars on both topical products and supplements to make my skin nicer and nothing worked. I was never able to wear makeup because the flakes were SO obvious once I put any pigment on my skin. It's a lot better now. I haven't been quite as determined to fix my hair -- I have bought a lot of useless products but I gave up a long time ago and started wearing it up every single day so no one would notice how dry and frizzy it was -- but I'm actually wearing it down every single day now and it looks pretty good.

MSM stands for methylsulfonylmethane. What it is is a form of sulfur. That's about all I know about it. So anyway, I'm not saying it will absolutely be a miracle for everyone because I don't know why it works. If you think you may be deficient in sulfur, you might check it out.
  • mzmariebaker
    Options
    This may be an old post but thank you! I'm not sure I can have an sulfur or sulfa related products. I'm allergic! I was looking up the loose skin and seen someone said MSM Supplements were good for it. I'll just work harder when I get a little further. :) I will ask doc first anyways.
  • JoeHomoski
    JoeHomoski Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation. I take Coenzyme Q10 for my internal heart valves to help combat cholesterol issues. It makes things inside more flexible and regenerative. I am hoping it will do the same for my skin. I have hypothyroidism, so MSM is out for me. But after radiation for cancer, I was told to take folic acid to help regenerate the skin. I will let you know if they work together.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

This^

Also add age, how far the skin was stretched, prior additional skin damage (think tanning). If you think about it, there are no miracle wrinkle creams either. If your skin doesn't snap back right away, give it some time.