Protein snacks for work

Options
2»

Replies

• zoeluiisa
    Options
    What are crudites?

Chopped raw veg for dipping. Carrot sticks etc.
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Also turkey jerky (if you don't mind the sodium), string cheese, cottage cheese, soynuts, or a hard boiled egg make great proteiny snacks
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I make beef jerkey using a dehydrator and buy lean meat on sale. It makes a great protein snack.

what is a dehydrator, and where can I get one!?
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    IF you drink protein at all there is a good super quick protein ball recipe I can give ya :)

If not here it is for anyone else interested.

Makes 14 balls.
    1 scoop chocolate protein
    1/2 cup natural peanut butter, ( I have used Jiff regular but its chunky and doesn't cream awell)
    1/4 cup Agave, (You can use honey, the thickness makes the creamy a little slow)
    3Tbls of Oatmeal (You can use Flax seed, I just don't have any nor can I find any..)

Mix it all together and roll into balls :) Put int he ridge to harden a little bit and you are good to go!
    83 cals with the Natural PB and Agave
    123 With Jiff and Honey.

:)
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    Yeah there is a fridge... although the last time I put a yoghurt in there it mysteriously disappeared!

Thanks, cottage cheese on ryvita might be a go-er, as well as fat free greek yoghurt. I used to have that with my granola in the morning, but have switched to fat free natural yoghurt. Maybe time to switch back. Think I'll get some almonds as well though.

I always tend to go for chicken as my main meat to get protein, but I don't have this everyday. I'd get sick of it.

I'll have a look for fage yoghurt - are you based in UK - hopefully you are so I can get it!
    Thanks everyone

I'm in the UK - Fage is called Total here. It's the one you get everywhere in the white tub with blue writing.
  • jessicahelene
    jessicahelene Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree with a previous poster... nuts are not a good source of protein, sorry. They are delicious and healthy but not going to up your protein very much.

I do get some protein from shakes (2 shakes a day... 24g each shake and we buy the 10lb bags of Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard protein powder and mix with water. Vanilla Ice Cream flavor is the best)

Edamame is packed with protein and fiber and is very yummy. We buy it frozen at our grocery store and boil or steam it.

Greek yogurt and string cheese are good dairy options.

I buy the Luna protein bars sometimes and you can usually find coupons for those on ebay.com for 50 cents off per bar which my kroger doubles so it ends up being free with the coupon...

Also I have been cooking a whole chicken in the crockpot on the weekend (get the gross stuff out of the inside, place in crock pot, put garlic powder and paprika on it and cook it on low for 7 hours). Then shredding up the meat and taking that to work for lunch or snack to up my protein.

White fish is a good source of lean protein as well.

Hope that helps!

edited for error
  • livityliv
    livityliv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just had my high protein snack at work....I find it really does keep me full until dinner. My go to is a fat free Greek yogurt of some kind (usually 12-14g protein depending on brand) with a half cup serving of Hi-Lo Cereal (12 grams protein) mixed in for a little crunch! The cereal is also high fiber, and really fills me up. Not all grocery stores carry it, but a good sub might be Kashi Go Lean if you can't find Hi-Lo. Today, my snack totaled 220 calories and 24 grams protein.
  • erinmick2
    erinmick2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm sure these are all ideas that have been posted, but...

-Cottage cheese
    -Greek yogurt
    -String cheese
    -Morningstar burgers (usually around 100 calories and about 10g protein)
    -Smashed banana with vanilla protein powder... yummy!!

Also, I found these protein chips from Kay's Naturals that go great with hummus or on their own. You can get a box of 12 on Amazon for like $10 and each bag has about 10-12g protein.

http://www.kaysnaturals.com/about.html
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    hard boiled egg whites
    apple/peanut butter
    peanut butter
    anything with peanut butter!
    protein shakes (i've made them the night before and brought them to work for an afternoon snack)
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Tuna
    Cottage Cheese
    Greek Yogurt
    Diced chicken
    Protein shakes
    Hard Boiled Eggs

I do a yummy mix of 1/3C cottage cheese, 1/3C plain greek yogurt, chia seeds, flax meal and some cinnamon! (a few drops of vanilla stevia if I'm craving sweet)
  • Kristy161089
    Options
    Raw, unsalted nuts.
    Roasted chickpeas (can buy them but very easy to make your own- essentially pop in the oven until crispy)
    Hard boiled eggs
    Natural nut butters (nice on fruit or wholegrain rice cakes)
    Tins of tuna/ salmon
    Pre prepared lean protein (chicken, steak etc.)
    Protein pudding (Mix scoop of whey protein with an egg white and 1/4 tsp baking powder with some sweetener and a bit of water in a mug and microwave 30 seconds)
    Protein bars (homemade is best but you can get some decent bought ones)
    Hummus with vege sticks
    Cottage cheese on rice cakes (I personally like cottage cheese mixed with cinnamon and banana- yum!)
    Greek yoghurt (mix protein powder in for extra protein and super yumminess!)