Sweet Tooth Dilema

Options
sdirks
sdirks Posts: 223 Member
Hi everybody!

The nutrient assessment here on MFP has pointed out to me that I am a sugar fiend.

I knew I drank too much soda, so I cut it out all together. I then noticed all the extra sugar in my coffee, so I've switched to plain tea or water. But I'm STILL over my target sugar intake almost every day and continue to crave sweets like nobody's business.

I've tried adding dried fruit to my rice and unsalted or raw nuts to my salads. I'm borderline Celiac, so cereals and granola bars aren't part of my diet (or at least they shouldn't be). Apples with peanut butter also help a little, but woman cannot live on apples and peanut butter alone!! :yawn:

And ideas? I need a nice alternative to running, screaming, to my local bakery for double chocolate cupcakes.

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate covered raisins do the trick for me, just a small handful, of course they have some sugar in them but not nearly as bad as a cupcake... um what else... Jello sugar free chocolate pudding, they are only 60 calories!!!! Hope I helped some, good luck :smile:

~Leash :heart:
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    i love sweets, so i just save calories for them. I know this is probably not the best way to lose weight, but its worked so far, and i dont binge on the chocolate like i used to...once u see all the calories your putting in your mouth, you dont want them as much...at least thats how its been for me! hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    It will get easier. You can try yogurt, dark chocolate, pudding, and fruit.
  • klybarger
    Options
    I'm right with you on exceeding the sugars. And what a vicious cycle because it seems the more sweets I eat, the more I crave sugar! I've cut down, but still go over more than most of the time. I am trying to have hard candy (mints) on hand - it helps curb the sugar lust. And am trying to pick up a piece of fruit when I get in this mode rather than something from the bakery. Let me know when you find the answer!
  • jzbaby626
    Options
    chocolate chips do the trick for me. still has some sugar but less than other things i would eat when having a sugar craving.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Maybe it will help to look up other threads about sugar. Many people have noticed that even if they get all their sugar from veg, fruit, & dairy, they go over MFP's sugar allowance.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Green tea can help curb sweets cravings. Sugarless gum can help if the craving isn't too intense. How about a bit of jam/ jelly on toasted gluten free bread?

I'm a total sweets addict. We have a "no sweets 'til Christmas" challenge going on in another thread, you should check that out.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I love yogurt and also a square of dark chocolate. Just let the chocolate melt. mmmm. I have to have a treat every day or I end up over eating and feeling deprived. Work it into your plan. Also I have heard that a piece of fruit every four hours will knock out any sweets cravings. Give it a try!
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Jello Sugar Free Pudding for sure!! You could try a protein bar or shake. It's not as yummy as a chocolate cake, but it does the trick. =)
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas, everyone! :happy: I've found a few things that have helped curb the sweets cravings.

1 coffee-flavored yogurt: enough sweetness, but still satisfyingly bitter, and better for me than a giant bowl of low fat ice cream

2 sweet-marinated meats: I made yakitori (Japanese-style bbq chicken) this weekend and didn't want sugar for several hours after. This week I'm making salmon with fresh tangerine & sage. My boyfriend's mother gave me a recipe for raspberry-garlic chicken that might do the trick, too!

3 eating lunch far, far away from my coworkers: if I don't see their sodas and fancy sweets from the pastry shop down the street, then I can forget about sugar and enjoy my chicken and brown rice in peace.
  • kaylarose123
    kaylarose123 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    2TBLspoonsFat free cool whip with strawberries, blackberries and blueberries.
    Calorie total: 60 calories