Getting back into running, Need new running shoes to buy?

Options
2»

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a good running shop in town, go to a shoe store that has their shoes on the floor (not one of the ones where you have to ask a sales person to go in the back and get your size). Try on as many as you can and notice how they feel, how they cup your heal, how they support your arch, how wide or narrow they are in the toebox, how tight or roomy they are across the top of yoru foot, etc.

Pay attention to all of those things and figure out what supports your foot the best (not necessarily what feels the best). You'll probably want them a little tighter than your normal/casual shoes, so probably look at a half size smaller.

Buy the ones that support your foot the best.

The issue with this is, the way a shoe feels doesn't mean it's going to move your foot the way it needs to (or NOT move it) based on whether or not you need a correction.

Also, most shoe fit experts suggest 1/2 to full size larger for running shoes. I got a full size myself. Tight is bad. That's how you lose toenails.

Really? Your running shoes are bigger than your casual shoes? That's not been my experience, or that of most people I run with.

Yes, which is why I said what supports your foot the best, not the ones that feel the best. Hard distinction to make for a lot of people, but if you wear enough shoes you can get the feel for it. And I'd only suggest this option if a fitting isn't an option. Not everyone has a running shop near them for fitting (myself being one of them).

Yep, really. I can't think of a single running friend that wears a running shoe the same size or smaller than their dress shoe either. Interesting.

Yeah, I get what you are saying about the feel of the support. Most people aren't going to be able to make that distinction though. Maybe a better alternative is running through the Shoe Dog feature on RoadRunnerSports.com and letting it tell you what type of shoe you need and work from there. At least it's a starting point.

Compared to a dress shoe, I can see that. But compared to your "everyday" sneakers (assuming they aren't last year's running shoes)?

Just ot be clear.. I'm not trying to argue my point versus your point... I edited my original post because you make a good point about all this and how it's all relative to how you wear your every day shoes. The point is to make sure they fit right.

I don't have any regular athletic shoes. :laugh:

For me, a shoe with a tight heel cup with a wide forefoot is what works. Mizuno Wave Riders, Brooks Ghost 5 and Brooks Launch all have this same profile and work for me.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Nike Pegasus.

Why? What if the OP is an underpronator? I like a particular model of Asics but would never suggest that they're suitable for another runner unless they came out and said they were looking for a neutral cushioning shoe........
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have discovered I am wearing the wrong shoes the hard way. I ended up messing up the top of my foot. Wish I lived near a city where I could get fitted. Thanks for the other good suggestions. Keep them coming.
  • ATclassof2021
    ATclassof2021 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Best advice, go to a running store and get fitted.....best if the place has a treadmill and the ability to record your foot-strike. As for buying a size larger, great idea if you plan to run longer races (halves and fulls), not to much of an issue running 10k races and under. Larger sizes are needed because your feet will swell while running. I learned this a little late, after my first half marathon where I ended up with a couple black toenails. Since then I have always purchased one size larger and have never had a black toenail and I have ran 17 half marathons and three fulls since then.
  • Mergundy
    Options
    I would say definitely get fitted for your type of shoe! I have high arches, and I had to get fitted for the correct shoes. Everybody has different feet wide, narrow, arches, flat feet. But I will say, I really like the lightweight shoes! super comfy!:)
  • robooth101
    robooth101 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, in Mizunos, Asics and the traditional Nike running shoes, I wear a full size larger than my street shoe.
    But the minimalist shoes I've been wearing lately - Nike Free, Reebok RealFlex and Brooks Pure Flow – are the same size as my street shoe.

Also, I went to a specialty running store when I first started running that put me in a stability shoe. I may have flat feet, but I don't overpronate. Actually, my foot rolls out instead of in, so the shoes gave me plantar fasciitis. My advice is to be sure the store you go to has a good return policy.
  • fanofsummer
    fanofsummer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been running for past 1.5 years. I resisted the 1/2 size bigger that the New Balance Rep was trying to put me in for the first 6 months. Once I took the New Balance Rep's advise and went to a wide running shoe that was a 1/2 size bigger and purchased the insoles it was like running on clouds! No more blisters after the half marathons. A lot of runners seem to have good results with Brooks also.

One more tip, change out your shoes regularly. I put the date in permanent marker on the exterior of my running shoe. You can look up some running articles on how often you should trash them.

Good Luck! I've got my 4th half marathon this year coming up next month :-)
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You want a shoe that is made for your type of foot (flat, high arch, narrow, wide, etc), running style (trail, track, road, fast, slow, midfoot striker, heel striker, all weather, dry weather, etc), philosophy (minimalist?), gait (underpronate, overpronate) and goals (fitness, racing, walking and jogging, etc). This could later even cause justification for different shoes for different runs (race, train, trail) Most dedicated Runner's stores can do this for you and for free. Don't get caught up in the brands and models. With the right expertise and help you can then find the best shoe for you. It could be $100 Brooks, NB, Nike, Saucony, Mizuno, etc or $230 Newton's or even custom made Hersey's. Just because a shoe costs more does not mean that it will work best for you. I would also look at getting good socks (that is if socks are within your philosophy). My personal preference are SmartWool PhD's but there are several other excellent brands.
  • Babicam
    Babicam Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have been fitted before at StrictlyRunning, but it is just not that close to me so I have to travel to get there. I know that I have a pretty high arch, need a cushioning shoe....but do not remember the rest (it has been approximately 5 years since I ran my last race).

I will take your advice and get fitted again.....Also, for what it is worth. I wore a half to whole size larger 5+ years ago when I ran 6+/- miles a day.