Intermittent Fasting

Options
I have been doing some reading on intermittent fasting for becoming more lean/gaining muscle. Some people say they lost a lot of fat while doing this, others say that fat should be lost first and then start intermittent fasting to gain muscle afterward. Anyone have any experience with this? If so what were your results, what exercises did you do and how often (cardio high or low intensity, weight training, body weight training, etc.) How often did you fast and for how long? How many calories would you eat on fasting days, did you eat healthy or anything you wanted? Are you still doing this, if not, why? Would love to hear from you!

Replies

• Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    My brother did this for a while and got great results, but he was already quite fit and worked out 3 times a week plus cycled miles to work and back every day. I think he would do 2 days eating (absolutely whatever he wanted) and 1 day off where he would only drink water. We had talked about what happens forever more, for example and he said that you then moved to "eating windows", where you'd fast but then eat what you wanted in the afternoon, say.

As I said, he got some quite dramatic results but dropped it after 4-5 weeks because he's plateau'd and it got too faffy, especially going out with mates! I'm still not convinced it's a healthy rhythm to get into and if you have binge-eating issues, it'll only reinforce them.
  • mrsslimkatie
    Options
    I fast daily for the past 75 days. I have lost the first 50 lbs of the 150lbs I want to loose using fasting as part of my routine. I eat from 3 to 6 hrs of the day as well as weight training and cardio every other day. I am having great success and will continue to eat this way as I feel so much added energy and am able to burn lots of fat at the same time I am gaining significant lean muscle mass. I also find fasting helps me to have the dicipline needed for a low calorie diet as I know that I can have a good meal every day and I dont have to portion out the low calories thru the whole day :smile:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I have lots of experience with this, and I also know many who have been successful at it.

Check out The Venus Index Blog, there are interviews of other ladies who have done under "contests and transformations". I am in that list as well (Roberta, the 52 year old in a bright pink bikini). Look under articles and podcasts as well. I also have my story on Bobbies Fitness.

If you want to read the scientific research look for meet Brad Pilon on the web. For the specific audio podcast where Brad Pilon and John Barban talk about the actual research done in the Army on starvation mode go to either The Adonis Index blog or the Venus Index Blog and Podcasts and Articles. The specific article is on starvation mode is under August 2011.

Some of these podcasts are free. If you want hear my story in audio John interviewed me when I won two contests and the interviews are located in the Podcasts and Articles January 2012 and June 2012. There are interviews free to listen to on both the Adonis side (Men) and the Venus side (Women).

You will notice there are some fascinating topics. This is leading edge material. When I got lean I found "Body Fat is An Endocrine Tissue, not Just Stored Energy" to be extremely helpful for understanding the new lean me. I'm glad I finally realized that free is not always the best investment in myself. My body and my health are worth the investment and it paid off for me.
  • fromfattofine
    fromfattofine Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would like to try this but I'm unsure of how it works. I need to do some research I guess.
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt have the foggiest love lol
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Nice blog California Girl. There is more than one way to do intermittent fasting. Join Intermittent fasting group on MFP. Watch Brad Pilon youtube videos. Go to Leangains website.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/599982-intermittent-fasting-faq

You don't need to do IF to gain strength/muscle. You should be doing resistance training all the time as it helps preserve LBM when in calorie deficit.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    Options
    bump
  • dValkyrie
    dValkyrie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This will take about an hour to watch, but it's a good resource for info on fasting and different types of fasting.

http://youtu.be/Pfna7nV7WaM