Potassium

Options
2»

Replies

• ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    A cup of black cherries has 143 mg of potassium. :)

http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/benefits-of-black-cherry-7803.html
  • smhammons
    smhammons Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Drink Coffee.....:drinker:
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Blackstrap Molasses has 600g of Potassium, gives you 20% of your iron intake, gives you 20% of your calcium intake, and gives you copper and maganese as well.

Bananas are great for fiber, potassium, and they are full of energy. If you can't eat them, mash them up and mix it up with an organic peanut butter and it makes a great sandwich spread (if you eat bread, but if you don't then you can spread it on an apple).

Pretty sure he meant 600mg as 600 grams of potassium would cause you to start kibbieing like a sunfish on a hot side walk (that's about 1.3 pounds of potassium).

Potassium is important but really, unless you are watching your blood pressure, and if you eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and veggies you're probably fine. Anywhere from 400 to 600 mg per day is what you should shoot for, but going a bit above or below isn't that bad, really low or really high can have averse effects on things like the nervous system, the heart, and hydration.

where are you getting your 400-600mg per day figure from? My urologist has me on a supplement that is over 2,000mg per day, and according to this site, the average woman needs 3,000mg and man needs 6,000mg daily.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art26065.asp
  • misty0413
    Options
    I use Morton's Lite Salt. have for years it has half the sodium of table salt and lots of potassium
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Potassium is in a lot of food. It is not required to be listed on a nutrition label. Sweet potatoes are good too!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Blackstrap Molasses has 600g of Potassium, gives you 20% of your iron intake, gives you 20% of your calcium intake, and gives you copper and maganese as well.

Bananas are great for fiber, potassium, and they are full of energy. If you can't eat them, mash them up and mix it up with an organic peanut butter and it makes a great sandwich spread (if you eat bread, but if you don't then you can spread it on an apple).

Pretty sure he meant 600mg as 600 grams of potassium would cause you to start kibbieing like a sunfish on a hot side walk (that's about 1.3 pounds of potassium).

Potassium is important but really, unless you are watching your blood pressure, and if you eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and veggies you're probably fine. Anywhere from 400 to 600 mg per day is what you should shoot for, but going a bit above or below isn't that bad, really low or really high can have averse effects on things like the nervous system, the heart, and hydration.

where are you getting your 400-600mg per day figure from? My urologist has me on a supplement that is over 2,000mg per day, and according to this site, the average woman needs 3,000mg and man needs 6,000mg daily.

yep, sorry, I forgot the extra zeros in there. I dunno how I did that. Sorry, I meant 4 to 6 grams I.E. 4000 to 6000 mg. my bad. That's what happens when you reply at work, gotta be fast and covert, no chance to double check your work.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

yep, sorry, I forgot the extra zeros in there. I dunno how I did that. Sorry, I meant 4 to 6 grams I.E. 4000 to 6000 mg. my bad. That's what happens when you reply at work, gotta be fast and covert, no chance to double check your work.

ahhhh! LOL! It seemed awful low next to what my urologist has me on, and I went to the GP yesterday and she didn't blink at the amount of potassium I am taking.
  • IceDragon72
    Options
    Seafood has a lot of potassium--I eat sardines, salmon, and tuna regularly and they are pretty high in potassium.
    Spinach, strawberries, blueberries, some types of almond milk also have potassium (I eat those too and track potassium!).
    I'm sure there are a lot more sources, play on the database a bit :)
  • losecandy
    losecandy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I changed my settings to include potassum. Like a previos post stated many vegetables fruits and meat have potassium.