Breakfast Cereal

Options
I want to change the cereal i eat.. i was interested to know what your favorite cereals are.. something crunchy and low calorie.. Please share!!!!
:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• FUZZBUZZ4
    FUZZBUZZ4 Posts: 334
    Options
    I want to change the cereal i eat.. i was interested to know what your favorite cereals are.. something crunchy and low calorie.. Please share!!!!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Kashi Golean and Fiber One (the plain one). Most cereals are super low in protein and fiber and high in sugar and HFCS, even the "healthy" ones. I like these because Kashi is high in protein and Fiber One is high in fiber (of course lol).
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I like hot cereal myself.

Quaker Oats has low sugar apple and cinnamon oatmeal. I have that for breakfast + a butt load of fruit. I can't tell the difference between low sugar oatmeal and regular oatmeal.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I love the original Fiber One cereal.
    I usually have 1/2 cup of FO cereal, 1/4 cup milk & a few slies of banana.
    Very filling. I like the Fiber One Raisin Clusters cereal too.
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    Options
    i had the fiber one caramel delight and i was so disappointed.. it kinda discouraged me to get any other fiber one product... am i wrong?
  • prettyinpink
    prettyinpink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I like Kellogg's Raisin Bran and Froot Loops. Surprisingly, most cereals do not have too many calories. Two scrambled eggs has more calories than any bowl of cereal. If you like sweet cereals don't be afraid to get them... they are right up there with everything like life cereal and others, just not as much fiber maybe. I do have to say that at one point in time, I was eating about 6 bowls of cereal a day and lost so much weight, and that was Lucky Charms and all that other stuff! :oP Cereal is SURPRISINGLY good for you!

Eat up!
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    Options
    6 bowls!!! really?
  • markfloyd
    markfloyd Posts: 69
    Options
    Toss the cereal!! Go for eggs and plain Oatmeal sweetened with fruit, Honey or Stevia.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Toss the cereal!! Go for eggs and plain Oatmeal sweetened with fruit, Honey or Stevia.

I do agree with this...most cereals are pretty much garbage. Eggs are a complete protein source with healthy fat, and this combo will leave you feeling full much longer.

It's not *just* a matter of calories. A bowl of Fruit Loops might have only 120 calories, but they come from sugars and high GI carbohydrates with no protein or healthy fat. Two eggs have 140 calories, 9 grams of healthy fat, 12 grams of protein with all essential amino acids, and don't have the HUGE impact on blood sugar like the cereal. You want to avoid a large spike in blood sugar because it can cause hypoglycemia later when your insulin overcompensates, and regular large insulin spikes cause pre-diabetes.

It's about way more than calories. :)
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I :heart: love:heart: Frosted Mini Wheats. They are very filling and have just enough sweetness.
  • yadiraj82
    yadiraj82 Posts: 23
    Options
    My FAV is special K red berries with plain soy milk...MMMM best thing ever!!!
  • jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options
    Before I scroll down to see what others have written...but I eat Kashi Honey Nut or or Honey Oats...anyway...they're crunchy with round and heart shaped peices. It's really good. I recommend it.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I go for Nature's Path optimum power oatmeal, or Kashi goLean, or eggs with Thomas' Light multigrain english muffins. I'll have to try the Fiber One.
  • jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options

I do agree with this...most cereals are pretty much garbage. Eggs are a complete protein source with healthy fat, and this combo will leave you feeling full much longer.

It's not *just* a matter of calories. A bowl of Fruit Loops might have only 120 calories, but they come from sugars and high GI carbohydrates with no protein or healthy fat. Two eggs have 140 calories, 9 grams of healthy fat, 12 grams of protein with all essential amino acids, and don't have the HUGE impact on blood sugar like the cereal. You want to avoid a large spike in blood sugar because it can cause hypoglycemia later when your insulin overcompensates, and regular large insulin spikes cause pre-diabetes.

I like this idea, but aren't eggs high in cholesterol? I'm just curious because I'm clueless. Thanks.
  • Healthier_Me
    Options

I like this idea, but aren't eggs high in cholesterol? I'm just curious because I'm clueless. Thanks.
    The yolk does.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    Kashi crunch is my new fave....

dd/zen
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hey FuzzBuzz, I recently tried the Kashi Heart to Heart Honey Toasted cereal and LOVE it. It's my new addiction. Only 110 calories and 1.5 g of fat per serving. PLUS it has 100% of folic acid, Vitamin E and I think B6 and B12. Plus, it tastes REALLY good.

What I have been doing for a very filling breakfast is have 3/4 cup of that and 1/4 cup of Kashi Golean Crunch with 1/2 cup of sliced strawberries and 1/2 cup of skim milk on it. I wasn't hungry for HOURS and it was like 236 calories or something like that.
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    i had the fiber one caramel delight and i was so disappointed.. it kinda discouraged me to get any other fiber one product... am i wrong?
    The Fiber One Raisin Clusters(or whatever it's called) cereal is really good.. I, personally, love it.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    Options

this is true but wen u are running out the door in the morning.. cereal is REALLY convenient!! So from the posts i am seeing that favorites are Kashi and fiber one.. i will try them.. what do ppl think of honey bunches of oats?? i havent tried them any thoughts?
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Honey Bunches of Oats is pretty good but I dont like the Almond variety. I wanna get some of the peach flavor. Also try Multi Grain Cheerios. They are nutty and have the faintest sweetness to them. Special K Red Berries is yummy to. The box goes way too fast! Im not sure of the nutritional value, but good ole Life cereal is really good and sooo filling! HTH