Is too much protein really an issue?

Options

Replies

• AlichiaMJohnson73
    AlichiaMJohnson73 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    How Much Protein Do I Need Each Day?

Updated Feb 2 2012 - 6:32am · Posted Aug 3 2011 - 3:32pm by FitSugar · 18 Comments

Protein · healthy living · RDI · protein RDA If you're wondering how many grams of protein a woman should consume per day, there's no cut and dry answer. It depends on your weight, your activity level, and whether or not you're pregnant. There's an easy way to calculate the number of protein grams that's right for you. Just take your weight in pounds and divide it by 2.2 to figure out your weight in kilograms. Then multiply that number by 0.8 (not very active) through 1.8 (extremely active), depending on how much exercise you get. As a general guideline, the USDA's RDA for protein for adults is 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight per day. The USDA's average requirement of protein for women ages 31-50 is 46 g/day. But, as you can see from this chart, you'll need to up that if you keep an active life; you should also increase protein intake if you are pregnant or nursing.

Check out the chart below to see how much protein you should be eating each day. If you don't see your weight, just use the formula above to calculate your daily protein. See the chart after the break!

Weight in pounds Weight in kilograms Protein per day if you're not very active
    (kg multiplied by 0.8) Protein per day if you're active or pregnant
    (kg multiplied by 1.3) Protein per day if you're extremely active or in training
    (kg multiplied by 1.8)
    100 lbs 45.5 kg 36.4 g 59.2 g 81.9 g
    105 lbs 47.7 kg 38.2 g 62 g 85.9 g
    110 lbs 50 kg 40 g 65 g 90 g
    115 lbs 52.3 kg 41.8 g 68 g 94.1 g
    120 lbs 54.5 kg 43.6 g 70.9 g 98.1 g
    125 lbs 56.8 kg 45.4 g 73.8 g 102.2 g
    130 lbs 59.1 kg 47.3 g 76.8 g 106.4 g
    135 lbs 61.4 kg 49.1 g 79.8 g 110.5 g
    140 lbs 63.6 kg 50.9 g 82.7 g 114.5 g
    145 lbs 65.9 kg 52.7 g 85.7 g 118.6 g
    150 lbs 68.2 kg 54.7 g 88.7 g 122.8 g
    155 lbs 70.5 kg 56.4 g 91.7 g 126.9 g
    160 lbs 72.7 kg 58.2 g 94.5 g 130.8 g
    165 lbs 75 kg 60 g 97.5 g 135 g

Based on the numbers above, do you already get enough protein per day?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Protein and amino acids for athletes. J Sports Sci. 2004 Jan;22(1):65-79.
    www.uni.edu/dolgener/Advanced_Sport.../protein_intake.pdf
    Since there is evidence that protein intakes above the RDA may be beneficial to athletes, a risk–benefit analysis may be useful. An important consideration is the potential harm that may arise from elevated protein intakes. There is little research into the maximum tolerable protein intake in healthy individuals. It has been suggested that excessive protein intakes may increase calcium loss, thus affecting bone health. However, since a major portion of bone is protein, excessive protein does not appear to influence bone health. High protein intakes have been suggested to pose a risk for the kidneys but, in healthy individuals with no underlying kidney disease (presumably most elite athletes), there is no evidence for harm to kidneys with higher intakes. Certainly, it would be detrimental for an athlete to consume excess protein at the expense of other nutrients required to support the necessary level of training and competition. There is a suggestion that intakes greater than 40% of total energy intake might be the upper limit. Protein intakes greater than 40% may limit intake of fat and/or carbohydrates, thus compromising the benefits of these nutrients. However, given the high energy intakes of most elite athletes, protein intakes higher than 40% are unlikely in most. Even a small female restricting energy intake and consuming only 1500 kcal would need to consume 150 g of protein to reach 40%.

High-Protein Weight Loss Diets and Purported Adverse Effects: Where is the Evidence? Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2004, 1:45-51 doi:10.1186/1550-2783-1-1-45
    http://www.jissn.com/content/1/1/45#B4
    Indeed, the recent study Dawson-Hughes et al. did not confirm the perception that increased dietary protein results in urinary calcium loss.[36] According to Dawson-Hughes et al., "Theconstellation of findings that meat supplements containing 55 g/d protein, when exchanged for carbohydrate did not significantlyincrease urinary calcium excretion and were associated withhigher levels of serum IGF-I and lower levels of the bone resorption marker, N-telopeptide, together with a lack of significant correlationof urinary N-telopeptide with urinary calcium excretion in thehigh protein group (in contrast to the low protein) point tothe possibility that higher meat intake may potentially improvebone mass in many older men and women."

Finally, the cross-cultural and population studies that showed a positive association between animal-protein intake and hip fracture risk did not consider other lifestyle or dietary factors that may protect or increase the risk of fracture.[35] It is of some interest that the author of the most cited paper favoring the earlier hypothesis that high-protein intake promotes osteoporosis no longer believes that protein is harmful to bone.[34] In fact, he concluded that the balance of the evidence seems to indicate the opposite.
    Despite its role in nitrogen excretion, there are presently no data in the scientific literature demonstrating the healthy kidney will be damaged by the increased demands of protein consumed in quantities above the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA). Furthermore, real world examples support this contention since kidney problems are nonexistent in the bodybuilding community in which high-protein intake has been the norm for over half a century.[3] Recently, Walser published comprehensive review on protein intake and renal function, which states: "it is clear that protein restriction does not prevent decline in renal function with age, and, in fact, is the major cause of that decline. A better way to prevent the decline would be to increase protein intake. there is no reason to restrict protein intake in healthy individuals in order to protect the kidney."[4]

Dietary protein intake and renal function. Nutrition & Metabolism 2005, 2:25 doi:10.1186/1743-7075-2-25
    http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/25
    Conclusion

Although excessive protein intake remains a health concern in individuals with pre-existing renal disease, the literature lacks significant research demonstrating a link between protein intake and the initiation or progression of renal disease in healthy individuals. More importantly, evidence suggests that protein-induced changes in renal function are likely a normal adaptative mechanism well within the functional limits of a healthy kidney. Without question, long-term studies are needed to clarify the scant evidence currently available regarding this relationship. At present, there is not sufficient proof to warrant public health directives aimed at restricting dietary protein intake in healthy adults for the purpose of preserving renal function.[
  • gloriapiz55
    gloriapiz55 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I eat more protein and less carbs than MFP, and less calories overall. I think its fine. I listen to my body and I feel great, don't get sick and I'm strong in the gym and that is all that matters! :)

What she said!

P.S. California girl....You look amazing :smile:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I eat more protein and less carbs than MFP, and less calories overall. I think its fine. I listen to my body and I feel great, don't get sick and I'm strong in the gym and that is all that matters! :)

You've obviously got things dialed in for you, which is great. But advising someone to listen to their body can be very bad advice - that's how a lot of people got into trouble in the first place.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The default protein settings on MFP are very very low. Going over is a good thing.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    You would have to consume in upwards of 500g of protein in one sitting to have any issues, and even then it's unlikely.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    The default protein settings on MFP are very very low. Going over is a good thing.

This barring any medical issues including but not limited to kidney function
  • usc2626
    usc2626 Posts: 186
    Options

What she said!

>>>>>>P.S. California girl....You look amazing:smile:<<<<<<<<<<

She sure is, I almost have to see a birth certificate to believe she's 51 :noway:
  • JLand918
    Options
    The only thing you dont want too much of is Carbs no matter what wisdom and websites tell you , too much of it will keep your weight on.

I'm sorry, but that's just a stupid response*. Too much of anything will keep the weight on.

* before you get all butthurt, I said the answer was stupid, not the person.
    Sorry just going on the proof I see when carbs are cut/reduced from food intake it helps you lose more weight then say loading on carbs in place of meats! I refuse to carbo-load anything.
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Agree with most of the other posts, I think MFP guidelines for protein are too low. As long as you're not going crazy on it (like eating bacon all day, every day, just kidding), you're probably fine.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The only thing you dont want too much of is Carbs no matter what wisdom and websites tell you , too much of it will keep your weight on.

I'm sorry, but that's just a stupid response*. Too much of anything will keep the weight on.

* before you get all butthurt, I said the answer was stupid, not the person.
    Sorry just going on the proof I see when carbs are cut/reduced from food intake it helps you lose more weight then say loading on carbs in place of meats! I refuse to carbo-load anything.

So you make a statement that goes against 'wisdom' (and actually peer reviewed studies btw), citing it in a categorical way as if its fact because of your sample of n=1. You do realize that weight loss =/= fat loss. Lower carbs = lower water weight = lower weight loss, not lower body fat.
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    The only caveat with protein is that it needs to be no more than 30 percent of your total calories, or you will get protein poisoning, or "rabbit starvation". The rest needs to be fat or carbs.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    The only caveat with protein is that it needs to be no more than 30 percent of your total calories, or you will get protein poisoning, or "rabbit starvation". The rest needs to be fat or carbs.

Do you have a source on this?
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If it is..I'm screwed..
  • planetshark
    planetshark Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love this site but it is always off when it comes to peoples' protein needs - as in WAY TOO LOW! Shoot for 1 gm per lb. of desired body weight and try to get 25-30 gms with each meal/snack ... Anything over about 30 gms is wasted and could be stored as fat since the body can't metabolize it in one sitting/meal ... :)
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It's pretty scary how much general opinion gets pushed around here in these MFP forums as though it were matter of fact:

"MFP recommends far too little protein"
    "too much protein is not an issue"
    "The default protein settings on MFP are very very low. Going over is a good thing"
    "MFP guidelines for protein are too low"
    "I love this site but it is always off when it comes to peoples' protein needs - as in WAY TOO LOW"

The default ratio of proteins on MFP is 15%. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Dietary Guideline for Americans recommends that 10-35% of daily calories should come from protein. MFP default is within that range. How is it WAY too low?

If increasing protein ratio was the obvious best way to lower weight/increase health, why wouldn't MFP have already adjusted the default ratio years ago? Hmmmm......

It's quite possible that there are increased health risks with higher protein levels, particularly in regards to red meat:
    http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/green-living-red-meat-consider-your-health-and-the-environments-as-well.html
    The link makes reference to a large, long-term study from the Harvard School of Public Health.

There are increasing number of studies linking decreased lifespan with higher levels of IGF-1 (which results from having higher levels of protein).

Now I don't know if there are conclusive studies to determine if non-meat proteins have lower health risks than animal proteins, but if you are concerned with getting sufficient protein, know that PER calorie, veggies can provide more protein than even beef:
    http://www.drfuhrman.com/faq/question.aspx?sid=16&qindex=9

My own opinion to the OP's Q is that it depends on what your goals are. If one wanted to gain muscles for bodybuilding or increased athletic prowess, then they should increase protein intake to a higher level. For the average MFP Joe or Jane who merely desires to lose weight and get in "shape", I'd suggest they stick with the MFP defaults until they are at or near their desired body composition. And no one here truly knows if too much protein is really an issue for you. The only person I'd rely on to tell me that is my doctor upon seeing my blood test results.
  • MelSabourin
    MelSabourin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Wow - thanks to all of you for your feedback. To put things in perspective (and I should have noted this earlier) - MFP is telling me to eat FORTY FIVE gs of protein per day. Even with small amounts of chicken and/or fish, it sure doesn't take much to exceed this number. I'm not on an all-protein diet and am not in the 100s of grams - but when I kept seeing "red" numbers and sometimes bordering at 100, just wanted to get some thoughts.

@AlichiaMJohns - thanks for the chart, and yes I am falling in that range.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    glad someone asked it is the only thing I am always over in
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    It's pretty scary how much general opinion gets pushed around here in these MFP forums as though it were matter of fact:

"MFP recommends far too little protein"
    "too much protein is not an issue"
    "The default protein settings on MFP are very very low. Going over is a good thing"
    "MFP guidelines for protein are too low"
    "I love this site but it is always off when it comes to peoples' protein needs - as in WAY TOO LOW"

The default ratio of proteins on MFP is 15%. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Dietary Guideline for Americans recommends that 10-35% of daily calories should come from protein. MFP default is within that range. How is it WAY too low?

If increasing protein ratio was the obvious best way to lower weight/increase health, why wouldn't MFP have already adjusted the default ratio years ago? Hmmmm......

It's quite possible that there are increased health risks with higher protein levels, particularly in regards to red meat:
    http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/green-living-red-meat-consider-your-health-and-the-environments-as-well.html
    The link makes reference to a large, long-term study from the Harvard School of Public Health.

There are increasing number of studies linking decreased lifespan with higher levels of IGF-1 (which results from having higher levels of protein).

Now I don't know if there are conclusive studies to determine if non-meat proteins have lower health risks than animal proteins, but if you are concerned with getting sufficient protein, know that PER calorie, veggies can provide more protein than even beef:
    http://www.drfuhrman.com/faq/question.aspx?sid=16&qindex=9

My own opinion to the OP's Q is that it depends on what your goals are. If one wanted to gain muscles for bodybuilding or increased athletic prowess, then they should increase protein intake to a higher level. For the average MFP Joe or Jane who merely desires to lose weight and get in "shape", I'd suggest they stick with the MFP defaults until they are at or near their desired body composition. And no one here truly knows if too much protein is really an issue for you. The only person I'd rely on to tell me that is my doctor upon seeing my blood test results.

piratesarecool4.gif
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a family history of kidney stones, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have a family history of them and still maintain around 50-100 of protein a day. we are huge fish eaters at our house too.

All I would recommend is that you make sure you avoid dark pops, too much caffeine and drink plenty of water if you are eating lots of protein.