Bad food/good food

Options
I have to chuckle a little over threads that question whether it is healthy to eat fruit in general, or bananas (specifically), or carrots, or bread. If you really think about it, did most of us gain our unwanted weight because we ate too much fruit??? I'm a big believer that most foods can be eaten in moderation, particularly foods that are in or near their natural state, or are simply steamed, broiled, baked, or grilled.

I think if we are honest with ourselves, most of us gained weight because we ate too many sweets; greasy, salty snack foods; fried foods; and highly processed, fatty fast foods--or we drank too much alcohol. Because these foods are so calorie dense, it was easy to eat more than our bodies needed on a daily basis.

I'm not worried about eating too many carrots...

Replies

• debjae
    debjae Posts: 242
    Options
    :laugh: you are so right
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'm in the camp that no food is a "bad" food. I still have greasy, salty, fried, and highly processed foods. I just also eat plenty of fresh food as well. It's ultimately all about self control and moderation.

If I ate 3000 calories a day in bananas I'd gain weight the same way as if I ate 3000 calories of cookies. I'd probably just be more full with the bananas. ;)
  • sydneyorbust
    Options
    it's all about portion control..
  • slleader
    slleader Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm in the camp that no food is a "bad" food. I still have greasy, salty, fried, and highly processed foods. I just also eat plenty of fresh food as well. It's ultimately all about self control and moderation.
    If I ate 3000 calories a day in bananas I'd gain weight the same way as if I ate 3000 calories of cookies. I'd probably just be more full with the bananas. ;)

LOL LOVE IT!!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I'm honest with myself. I know exactly how I gained all my weight. French fries, pizza, chocolate primarily. Now I'm in the portion control camp.

That aside, I have actually eaten 'too many' carrots. Raw carrot sticks. I can actually eat the things mindlessly in the same way I can jelly beans. I don't recommend ever doing that.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Labeling foods good/bad/clean/unclean etc with no regards of how they fit into the context of your total diet and in what amounts is silly
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    When my brother was 2 he ate too many carrots and his skin turned orange. No joke.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I do agree that it is about portion control, but I find myself eating very few "goodies" because I know that I'll be hungry 30 minutes after eating 150 calories worth of cookies, but satisfied for a couple of hours after eating a greek yogurt, or celery sticks with peanut butter. But yes, at the end of the day, calories are calories regardless of the source.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    When my brother was 2 he ate too many carrots and his skin turned orange. No joke.

Yes, it is possible, especially in children, due to the carotene in carrots. An adult would have to eat a heck of a lot of carrots.
  • rudimae
    rudimae Posts: 107
    Options
    I agree wtih the moderation statements. I know some foods are better for me than others, obviously. But the food addict in my could eat a bucket full of carrots and still not be satisfied if what I really want is ice cream.

We bought some fresh peaches today...smell so good. But all I could do is think of them sliced into a bowl of vanilla ice cream. Which is odd because I never usually want vanilla ice cream. But I really, really want that treat. And I know that nothing else will satisfy me but that. So I exercised extra tonight so I could have it. And I will have a controlled portion of it.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

However, it is a heck of a lot easier to consume 3000 calories of cookies than 3000 calories of bananas.