constipation and diet.........

Options
:embarassed: Since I started this diet almost a week ago I am having problems...I eat plenty of fresh fruit and veggies. I would think things would be working like a clock.:happy: When you first started the diet was your system messed up at first?

Replies

• auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    :embarassed: Since I started this diet almost a week ago I am having problems...I eat plenty of fresh fruit and veggies. I would think things would be working like a clock.:happy: When you first started the diet was your system messed up at first?
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    FUZZBUZZ4 Posts: 334
    Options
    i have been on a diet for months and my system is messed up so i know wat u mean!!! i used to be a regular visiter of the bathroom..:blushing: but i dont know its very irregular and infrequent..
  • auntkaren
    Options
    i have been on a diet for months and my system is messed up so i know wat u mean!!! i used to be a regular visiter of the bathroom..:blushing: but i dont know its very irregular and infrequent..
    Has it effected your weight loss, do you think ? Or are you loosing the weight as your plan has suggested:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    When you're in a caloric deficit, it's normal to make fewer BM's because there's simply less waste. Constipation, or actually having to strain to make one, can be caused by taking in too much fiber with inadequate water...the fiber swells but isn't hydrated, so it becomes more difficult to lubricate its exit. Milk of magnesia and Senokot are two non-stimulant laxatives, or you could get a stool softener. One sort of 'helps' you go, while the other will just make your stool less hard so it will be easier to pass. I would stay away from stimulant laxatives as they can cause cramping.
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    FUZZBUZZ4 Posts: 334
    Options
    Has it effected your weight loss, do you think ? Or are you loosing the weight as your plan has suggested:flowerforyou:

i have lost weight over the months.. but now it is getting worse and i have plateud.. although i dont know if it is linked to this issue or if my body has just plateued... i am not sure.. are u losing weight?
  • auntkaren
    Options
    When you're in a caloric deficit, it's normal to make fewer BM's because there's simply less waste. Constipation, or actually having to strain to make one, can be caused by taking in too much fiber with inadequate water...the fiber swells but isn't hydrated, so it becomes more difficult to lubricate its exit. Milk of magnesia and Senokot are two non-stimulant laxatives, or you could get a stool softener. One sort of 'helps' you go, while the other will just make your stool less hard so it will be easier to pass. I would stay away from stimulant laxatives as they can cause cramping.
    No there is just no movement of any kind or the urge to:embarassed:
  • auntkaren
    Options

i have lost weight over the months.. but now it is getting worse and i have plateud.. although i dont know if it is linked to this issue or if my body has just plateued... i am not sure.. are u losing weight?
    Yes I have lost 5pounds, may be water loss.:smile:
  • auntkaren
    Options
    Please forgive me for being dumb:tongue: but wouldn't loosing weight mean more BM?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Yea, that's normal. There is less waste to void, so fewer movements. Some people only go every 2-3 days, and that's within a healthy range. Other than fiber, you only remove dead cells and bacteria, and those don't take up much space. If you feel that your bowels are full but not moving, then increase your water intake and invest in one of those laxatives. You should also make sure you're taking in 20-30% of your calories from fat (so eat all of the ones alloted by fitday) because some fat comes out in the stool and helps lubricate it as well.

In answer to your other question: Losing fat is a different process from voiding after digestion..it involves energy use. A BM will cause weight loss, but only of the food waste, not fat.
  • reallysteve
    Options
    hey just to give you a little medical advise, constipation in dieting is very common and as stated it comes from not being hydrated enough. You can drink a ton of water but it may take quite some time before you get back to normal. I would suggest or "prescribe" a mild laxative such as ducolax. It works very quickly and would help get you into a normal routine. Once things are moving, sufficient water should keep this problem to a minimum. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me as it can be serious to not have a BM for more than 2-3 days. "DONT WANNA KEEP THAT STUFF IN TOO LONG" Feel free to message me if im not at the hospital i will answer back asap
  • jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options

Yeah what she said.:happy: I have been having the same problem. I was wondering. I think I should know, but it's been a bit irregular lately. Less is more like it. I just figured that since I'm eating less, then there's less. Good explanation tho. Drink water. Sounds good to me. Thanks for the explanation. :flowerforyou:
  • Paeonia
    Paeonia Posts: 161
    Options
    Here's a very easy fix that worked for me:

1 cup of Fiber One cereal (I like Honey Clusters) = 13g fiber / 160 cals
    1/2 cup skim milk = 43 cals

Total cals = 203 cals

Eat this every day and you will hopefully become regular like I did...when I began this calorie restriction diet, I was not having regular movements any longer. There wasn't constipation, I just wasn't going as often as I used to. Now since I've started eating Fiber One every day, I have 1 bowel movement per day (Man, its so weird talking about your BMs with total strangers :noway: )
  • auntkaren
    Options
    :laugh: Sorry if I embarassed you:embarassed: But you have explained it perfectly and I appreciate your answer:wink: Thank you I will try it , hope you have a nice day:flowerforyou: I have been taking laxatives and still nothing , I was concerned.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I've always had this issue. I started activia yogurt 3 weeks ago and it's worked great for me. The light cartons are only 70 calories. I don't work for Dannon either!
  • auntkaren
    Options
    I've always had this issue. I started activia yogurt 3 weeks ago and it's worked great for me. The light cartons are only 70 calories. I don't work for Dannon either!
    Thanks:flowerforyou: I have seen them advertised a lot, and was wonder how they taste .......is it flavored or taste like plain yogurt?
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    The activia lights come in raspberry and peach and the regular (110 cal) are in strawberry and blueberry. I've tried all but peach and they are delicious. I used to buy the generic yogurt (I'm cheap) but this tastes much better. I think they are a little expensive, but very worth it! I think some other companies make similar stuff, I just reached for this kind first I guess! Oh, they are pretty small, only 4 oz. Good luck - this is the only thing that has ever helped this "issue" for me.
  • lew242
    lew242 Posts: 3
    Options
    I know a nurse that insists that 3 ripe kiwi fruit can be a great mild laxative. It seems to work for me, plus any fruit containing very small seeds such as strawberries work best, then the water too.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Hot water with juice from one who lemon. My mother in laws says that it is a great for flushing you out.
  • dijo
    dijo Posts: 21
    Options
    Never thought I'd be so glad to here others talk about their BM's,lol. Been having this problem for 2 weeks , glad to hear I not alone. Altho I drink LOTS of water I'm still having problems. Will start back on activia and get some Milk of Mag. Have lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks... yeaaaaa me.
  • auntkaren
    Options
    Hot water with juice from one who lemon. My mother in laws says that it is a great for flushing you out.
    I have been drinking lots of hot green tea , Thanks for your advice:flowerforyou: