I shall be brave...

Options
And ask if any of you seasoned/ more experienced MFP'ers can have a look in my diary and see what you think.
I'm aiming to lose around 70lbs which will get me into the "healthy" range for my height (5ft). I'd like to be lean and muscular, not "skinny".
I try to eat a wide range of food, keeping my protein higher, I'm not really a carb fan, and I do allow myself "treat" food. I definitely don't feel hungry or deprived.
Exercise I'm doing at the moment is 30 Day Shred (level one, day 6), and then I mix in elliptical, stationery bike or walking some days (depending on the weather).
I have five kids, not planning on having any more (if that makes a difference- other than finding it hard to make time to exercise!). I do have pcos, which is currently not showing symptom's at the moment.
I wonder if I should add in a protein shake somewhere to help "eat back" exercise calories? I currently mix in one scoop into a half cup of greek yoghurt for breakfast, or have a mini protein bar if we are running late (like this morning).
Is it too soon for me to start doing weight-training? Or should I lose more flab first?
Thanks!

Replies

• KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    You are very brave. I just wanted to say Hi and wish you luck. I don't know enough to be helpful but you'll find helpful people out there!
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You are very brave. I just wanted to say Hi and wish you luck. I don't know enough to be helpful but you'll find helpful people out there!

Thanks, =)
  • Effpcos
    Options
    Perhaps I've posted this at the wrong time of day! =S
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I've still got heaps of weight to lose but started doing weight training anyway cause I love it so much. Personally I didn't want to put off starting weight till I lost more flab - just get into I reckon. There's always going to be reason to put off something so if you want to start weights then you should. More muscles helps burn fat anyway doesn't it. You must be really dedicated to find time to put yourself first when you've got 5 kids. Good on you!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is a busy time for the forums in the U.S. (6 pm west coast, 9 pm east coast)

Uh.....Yes, do what you can to eat the exercise calories. Although, at your weight, it isn't as big a deal as when you get closer to your goal. Being under is more acceptable to your body now. But not too much under! Like 100 calories under - okay. 300 under, not good.

Never too soon to start weight training.

Your food choices are not the best. Very few veggies or fresh foods. Too much processed stuff. Dump the breakfast powder and sub real food. You need the fiber and nutrition from fruit, veggies, lean meats, lowfat dairy, nuts. You have been doing pretty well, though, I must say! Good job. Keep it going.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I agree with dump the processed stuff, way to much junk in those foods and your body will thank you for it. But I disagree with the eating under. If your hungry eat if your not don't . Even if your under calories don't eat if your not hungry. It's silly to go have something just because you were told you have to eat this many caloires a day or your going to pay for it. IMO it's BS. I also do not eat my exercise calories back. But that's just me. You will have to find what works for you. Trust your own instinct on your own body and listen to what it's telling you.
  • Effpcos
    Options
    Thanks. Yep it has been hard trying to find the time to figure this all out with the kids, but we've had a shocking past few years, and I decided it was time to look after me, I was worried I'd start to suffer healthwise so thought I'd better do something about it. My last miscarriage was at 13 weeks, with complications that left me inactive for 4 mths, I put on 16kg (approx 35lbs) in that time, and went from "curvy" to "fat", also whenever I was pregnant I put on a lot of weight being too paranoid I'd do too much and lose another one (5 miscarriages). So it's been inactivity rather than bad food, but my eating habits were pretty crap too (I used to skip breakfast, forget to have lunch, then have a huge home-cooked meal- veg lasagne, roast, etc with pudding- fruit crumbles mostly, then toast before bed.)

We usually eat a lot more fresh veg, but we moved three months ago and haven't got a veg garden here yet, being winter here in New Zealand fresh veg has been darn expensive (so everything's been canned or frozen). But we're now 6 days into Spring and have started planting, yay, =), I have missed them, nothing like homegrown produce!

The protein bars are a new thing this week, I keep them in the car for times when I'm busy out with the kids or we're running late, (rather than skipping meals like I used to) but perhaps I should swap them for nuts and dried fruit? I'm allergic to some nuts (almonds especially)- but ok with peanuts, cashews, and walnuts. We live in a small rural town so there aren't healthy take-out options.

Sorry for the waffling! I've always focused on making sure the kids & my husband are eating healthy, and I fed myself when I got the chance with whatever was available (hence eating lots after they've gone to bed!), so actually thinking about what I should be eating is a learning curve (obviously growing children and a very active husband's requirements are quite different to mine)! Getting mentally over the idea that I'm not being selfish by looking after myself has been hard too (spending money especially). And trying to find the time to exercise is a whole other mission!