No motivation for exercise

Options
I have been using MFP for about 45 days or so. I am really loving the calorie counter and so far I have lost 6 pounds which is great. HOWEVER...I just can't find the motivation to exercise. I have an elliptical in my basement and I walk past that thing everyday but I don't get on it. I see all these other people in the posts saying how they have found so much energy and are so much more active than they used to be. When is that supposed to happen? I haven't found it yet and I really want more energy.

Replies

• Maul45
    Options
    Have you tried a pre-work out? Tends to take the laziness out of me when I don't feel up to working out. Just a thought.
  • sanmansan
    Options
    You have to force yourself to exercise first. After about a month or so when you're used to the routine, you'll get motivation to exercise.

Now when I exercise I get a exercise high. When I don't exercise I feel lazy. It's kinda like a drug, you need to try it first before you become addicted.
  • hellotherecupcake
    Options
    I've had an elliptical for about five years, but I've definitely not used it regularly during all that time.

For me, I found that I had to do a program. I chose Insanity, but I think anything you think sounds interesting is good. I finished Insanity a few weeks ago and moved on to Couch to 5K.

Getting on the elliptical does nothing for me, honestly, and I pass it daily as well and don't get on. ;-) Oh! if you add people on here who are doing the same program that really helps as well. :-)

Good luck!
  • mercymarque
    Options
    Exercise will give you energy. If your not ready for the eliptical try working 3.0 for 10-20 minutes a day. As you get use to walking hop on eliptical it's a great machine that will burn lots of calories. I will work your arms as well. Get some dvd's u may be interested in. Make sure you increase your protein and drink plenty of water. Good luck!
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    When I do get on the elliptical...which is once every few months...I do fine on it. I go hard for 20 minutes and burn a ton of calories. I get hot but I am not out of breath. It isn't hard exactly it is just boring. Definitely not one of my favorite things to do.
  • oceansablue
    Options
    Each person is different, the important thing is to not give up. And don't forget to reward yourself for your hardwork. Take the time after every workout to tell yourself you did it, you pushed yourself just that much further.
  • Punchabear
    Options
    You have to force yourself to exercise first. After about a month or so when you're used to the routine, you'll get motivation to exercise.

Now when I exercise I get a exercise high. When I don't exercise I feel lazy. It's kinda like a drug, you need to try it first before you become addicted.

^This.
    You definitely get used to it fairly quick but you have to give yourself that initial push and keep it up until you feel like you're letting yourself down if you skip. It gets easier the more you do it.
  • oceansablue
    Options
    Have you tried watching tv or listening to music while you workout? I find lots of dance tunes really helps pass the time when I'm working out.
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I turn on a show i like and start light with the machine before long you barely notice it :D
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I use to run on the dreadmill, it worked for awhile, but so unmotivated to do it...I had to find something that kept me engaged/fun/challenged me. I love going outside a wogging! see if I would jog a lil futher than last time, I love workout DVD's! a trainer keeping me motivated!
    sometimes you just have to do something you don't like if you want the change and then it will become habit!
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Have you tried watching tv or listening to music while you workout? I find lots of dance tunes really helps pass the time when I'm working out.

I do listen to music while I work out. Maybe I should switch that up a little. I have one go to album that I put in when I work out. Maybe I need another album. I will try something different and see how it goes.