This might sound silly but.....

Options
I want to know how people run in the cold weather without their lungs burning. Any suggestions. It's starting to get cooler at night and I have been jogging at longer intervals and don't want to get pushed indoors anytime soon because there is just something about being out under the open sky. Like I said, maybe a silly question but I don't really want to wear a ski mask!!! Thanks.

Replies

• Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    :happy: Helllllooooooo!!!! Will somebody answer my question, please?
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? Cooler weather in early September? I wanna move there.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options

^ Ditto! It is near 100 degrees still here!

ETA: I rarely ever run outdoors for this reason. It has to be a decently cool temp but not too cool for me to run comfortably outdoors which its only a small portion of the year where I live. I usually just run on the treadmill. I wish I could get over that, but I just can't enjoy running if I'm too cold or sweating my butt off.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

I was wondering the same thing! It's getting cooler here, but "cooler" in that it's still in the lower 70's in the evening, lows in the 50's overnight. I run at 5 AM and the lowest we've gotten is 49 and that's not cold enough to making my lungs burn!
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    OP, there is no way. when it's that cold your lungs will burn...it's ok. i'm jealous..i'm in AZ and it's still hot as hell here, even at night.
  • ParaSempreAmor11
    ParaSempreAmor11 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i dont really think there is a way to stop that O.o it hurts though living in canada kinda sucks well for me anywayz i dont know if you live there or not but ya i dont think there is a way to stop it
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I dunno. running makes my lungs burn, no matter what the weather, then I cough. So I don't run unless being chased by zombies. and not just 1. I can handle just one. The horde of Zombies, is a bit tougher to escape.
  • Rick_SH
    Rick_SH Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I live in Ohio (for now) and I don't much care for exercising in very cold air (below freezing). My lungs hurt, lips get chapped and I have a touch of asthma. So for me, its the indoor track or treadmill at the gym for freezing run days. But I see a lot of people running in hyper cold weather and they are fine. It depends on the person. Like anything else, it takes training to work up to that endurance level.
  • mollymoo89
    Options
    I have to say that for me it burns and hurts when I first start running in the cold but after a while you warm up. I had to do a 17 mile run in 32 degree weather with 20mph winds when I was training for my marathon. I would suggest just to take it slow at first until your body warms up. Also, wear a hat of some sort. You lose about 40% of your body heat through the top of your head!
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I dunno. running makes my lungs burn, no matter what the weather, then I cough. So I don't run unless being chased by zombies. and not just 1. I can handle just one. The horde of Zombies, is a bit tougher to escape.

This
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    9 years in the Army and we used to run in the 30-degree January weather. You just run. Your body adjusts.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    Options
    I want to know how people run in the cold weather without their lungs burning. Any suggestions. It's starting to get cooler at night and I have been jogging at longer intervals and don't want to get pushed indoors anytime soon because there is just something about being out under the open sky. Like I said, maybe a silly question but I don't really want to wear a ski mask!!! Thanks.

I was going to say Ski Mask until your last sentence. I ride all winter and normally don't need anything but a fleece type collar on a vest or jacket that I can drop my mouth down into if it gets really bad out.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    if you pull a light scarf up over your mouth it warms the air and stops the unpleasantness. that's in COLD weather though where you can see your breath and I am not sure if that's what you mean.
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Take some time to acclimatize, as the temperature drops, allow up to 14 days to adjust, maybe run at a slightly lower pace or do other activities outdoors to expose yourself, spend time walking at night or simply sitting out on the deck. Same goes for the spring thaw, we can not perform the same from 30 degree days to 70 degree days overnight, it takes some time. I was raised in the mid west where daily temps might be -20 degrees then warming to 10 degree, and that 10 degrees feels much warmer, then a day of 30 degrees and we are all outside in shorts and tee-shirts. So just allow yourself some time to adapt.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Define cooler. My lungs don't start burning until the temp drops to about -5F.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm also curious where you live--I was jogging/walking in the dead of winter up here in Michigan (although this past winter wasn't the best example, since that whole "80s in March" business). I would have times where I'd get back from an hour walk and have crazy symptoms that I discovered were from cold: weird chest pangs, painful yawns, etc. That's how much cold can really affect your blood vessels!

So, even though I'm 23, I ended up getting that exercise in... by looping the mall ;) So if you don't mind power walking with older folks, it's my go to! (I throw in some stairs, too!)
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    if you pull a light scarf up over your mouth it warms the air and stops the unpleasantness

That's what I was going to suggest.
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Houston Tx here........nuff said.

I wish I was wherever you are!! :ohwell:
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I am in northern NJ. It's not even cold yet, but I have noticed since it's been cooler the last few evenings my lungs are burning when I run and I was thinking I hope I can do this until the snow comes atleast. That's why I thought I better ask before it gets cold. I am from the Midwest originally so it's cool here to me. :) I don't know if i will ever acclimate. Thanks for the help though!!!!
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I lived in New Hampshire (but just moved to Houston, BIG heat difference), and I would make sure to warm up before you head out and take it really slow at first. I would also wear one of those neck wraps (made out of sweatshirt-like) material and put it over my mouth. It was pretty loose so I never felt suffocated, but it helped to keep my breath/lungs warm.