Throwing in the towel on 30 DS

Options
Well it looks like I may have to throw in the towel and stop doing the 30 Day Shred. I took 2 days off after doing day 3 and today I did day 4 at my own pace and the way I revamped it for my sore knee. However, about 10 minutes after I finished my knee really started hurting, I could barely walk on it. I propped it up, iced it took some ibeprofun but nothing has worked. When my 14 year old granddaughter came home from school she said, "Oooo grandma your knee is really swollen." I avoided looking at closely all day but after she said that I compared both legs and yeah, she's right, its really puffy.

No insurance so I can't go to the Dr. so I am gonna try and nurse my knee on my own by staying off it as much as possible, rotate between Ice and heat, take Ibeprofun and sadly....give up on the 30 day shred....for now. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr, I Hate to admit Defeat!!!! But if it comes down to saving myself from further injury then I will :(
I think I need to consintrate on getting my knee stronger with some other exercises once this swelling and pain go away.

Replies

• Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Take care of that knee. You would do yourself no good to really get a joint injury. No walking, no running and pain. Remember RICE Rest, ICE, Compression and Elevation. Good luck!!!
  • jehuster
    Options
    Take care of that knee. You would do yourself no good to really get a joint injury. No walking, no running and pain. Remember RICE Rest, ICE, Compression and Elevation. Good luck!!!

Thank you.
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yes, RICE is definitely the way to go. You're already doing the rest, ice, and elevation, but adding compression (if you're not already using it) will help a lot. You can get a really basic compression brace at the pharmacy for between $10 and $20 and it will feel sooooo much better. Make sure to get one that fits well, so it's not constricting too tightly. If you can't find the brace, even a simple ace bandage wrap will help.

Also, you may want to avoid alternating the heat and ice. Sometimes heat can further aggravate an inflamed joint. Ice alternated with periods of room temp may be better.
  • trizzell79
    trizzell79 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I agree stay away from the heat for a couple of days. Heat causes more inflammation for acute injuries.
  • kellya009
    kellya009 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would consider my joints "young and healthy" (:P) and I find 30DS to be really tough on my knees! They have been sore after the workouts.

It's a little too high impact i think. Don't know myself if I'll keep going with it.

Hope you recover soon and find something that works better for you!!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    That's awful that you can't go to the doctor. Some people complained about GB showing how proud we are of our National Health Service at the Olympics opening ceremony but cases like these show we have every right to be proud of it. Not being able to get free health care is a concept that doesn't even enter my mind.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Sorry. REALLY hope it gets better soon.
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    When I first started my fitness journey after years of a complete sedentary life, my knees hurt so bad I could barely walk (at age 22!). After a few weeks of recovery, I decided to take it much slower, work out with knee braces, and worked up to doing high-impact workouts.

I would suggest taking some time to recover, and stick with a careful diet while you're off your knees. When you do start exercising again, have someone watch your form! 30 DS has so many moves that can be really harsh on your knees if your form is bad.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I also stopped the 30 ds because of my knees. My doctor advised me to avoid all high impact activities like jumping in the future. I'm now doing the much lower impact 30 day challenge over at Hasfit.com and I'm carefull to replace any jumping with lower impact equivalents. Even learned such an equivalent for jumping jacks! ;-)
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My knees started hurting when I started 30DS too, so I took more rest days and wore a knee brace (£15 from a pharmacy) for about 2 weeks and it really helped. Im on level 3 of 30DS now, and unfortunately as you go on, the impact gets higher. In level 3 there are a lot of jumping exercises, and even the adapted moves have lunges etc which can be hard on the knees.

Please don't feel too discouraged though, you just need to find a workout that works for your body :)
  • chrlslove7
    chrlslove7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I agree, 30ds is pretty rough on the knees. I focus on proper form as much as possible while doing the workouts and it seems to get me by. Having little ones and bad knees is bad bad bad!! Hop you feel better soon.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I sometimes wonder after watching demos of some of these exercise programs if there aren't going to be a lot of very busy orthopedic surgeons in 10 years. They seem harsh on the joints to me.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    It is hard on the knees...I agree with RICE.

I modify the cardio parts where it hurts my knees the most. Sometimes the squats hurt them too esp the side ones.

I am a runner and that doesn't even hurt my knees so saying 30DS does says a lot.
  • MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    Hi, I found that with 30DS. I loved it but I think I have a slight weakness in my left knee that copes okay with walking/running but my knee always felt very iffy after 30DS. Probably better to find an exercise that suits you. :-)
  • christakersey
    Options
    I agree that you should rest, but I wanted to share some of my experience with exercise videos. I did Turbo Jam before and it killed my knees, so I mentioned it to a friend who was also doing it. She had the same problem. Her husband is a personal trainer, and he suggested doing it barefoot. Sneakers allow your foot to move around inside the shoe, which in turn moves the knee around more than is good for it. I started doing all my workout videos barefoot, and my knees haven't hurt since. I also run in barefoot shoes, but that's not for everyone, however it was the only thing that keeps my knees from hurting. If I run in sneakers, my knees hurt. It's high impact, so you need to be aware of how you are landing, but it's better to be aware of our movements anyway. You could try that out when you are all healed up and ready for another try.
  • jehuster
    Options
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to show that you all care. :flowerforyou:

I am going to check out that hasfit.com

And defineily "RICE" xx