Another Couch to 5K Graduate!

Options
I finished the Couch to 5K program about three weeks ago, since then I've been running 5K 3 times a week through all kinds of weather.

However, 12 Weeks of training did not prepare me for this.

The 5K this morning was at a local lake. I figured the course would just be on the road around the lake, uh uh. It was in the spillway, and ranch land south of the lake...it was a trail run...with hills. I think the most even part of this course was the finish chute. Speaking of the finish, the course takes you out of the woods and at that point you can see the finish, except the course took you straight up the side of the dam, probably a 100 yard climb at 15%+ grade. Then you run on top of the dam before decending to the finish. That's the only time I walked, was after I got done chugging to the top of the dam, and even then it wasn't for very long.

I finished in 34:05, which is still my fastest time to date, but it took all I had to get there. I was ready to puke before I climbed the dam. I have been training at about 75% of MHR, but once I got going I don't think it dropped below 90%. I can honestly say I left it all on the course...It was essentailly a 35 min HIIT work out.

This race was a fundraiser for two HS XC teams. I was last by 5 minutes. There were only hard core runners and XC teenagers running in this race...and me.

I few hours afterwards I'm sore all over, but I can't wait to run my next one on Jan 23rd. Now it's time to find some chicken wings, Mt Dew, chips and dip, and Beer!

Replies

• threeupthreedown
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

YOU totally rock!!!!
    Way to go!!!!
    I just came in from a 7.68 kms jog.
    My next race is a 5kms on December 31.
    Isn't it the BEST feeling when you cross the finish line!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    GREAT JOB IPLAY! That is an amazing time! Especially with the course you described! Oh my god. You are a brave man. :tongue:

You are doing fantastic! Good for you!
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Ha that's fantastic. I ran my first one last weekend. What an adrenaline rush. And I, like you, have already signed up for another one in Jan. It was such an accomplishment considering before I started C25K I couldn't even run 1/2 mile without dying..

I remember before the gun went off I looked at my HRM and it was 155BPM. I just calmed myself down and pretty much stayed in a good range after that. Congratulations and cheers to us.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!