How Often do you Weigh Yourself?

Options
Hi!

I am one of those ppl that tend to hop on the scales EVERY morning and cry if I haven't lost overnight. I know I shouldn't, but usually it keeps me motivated. However, last week I was distraught on friday when I weighed 3lbs more than the week before, then come Sat AM, I was 2lbs LIGHTER than the week before lol.

Today I am doing the same thing, going ASDFLAJSDFL NOO because the same thing is happening, but this week I don't think I will lose, I upped my cals and I think maybe I've not been eating the right things? IDK, trial and error.

Anyway, how often do YOU weigh? Do you religiously glue yourself to the scales? I know some ppl are like "go by your clothing fit, or measure yourself etc, it's not always weight you lose, but inches" but in every other diet I have been on it's ALWAYS gone by weight and I think that mindset is really hard for me to get out of.

Any tips? Hints?

<3

Replies

• haylz247
    Options
    Never weigh everyday! It's going to be water weight etc.

I weigh once a week, sometimes every 2 weeks. Depends how i'm feeling. Just don't get too obsessed with them or they will take over!

I love it when i lose but at the same time i like seeing an actual difference in my body :)
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi I weigh myself once a week usually Wednesday. If I am going on holiday I do it on a Saturday, just to see where I am when I get back from holiday. I dont weigh everyday because it changes from day to day:smile:
  • RossHimes
    RossHimes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily too. I track it on a graph. As long as the graph moves in a downward slope over time, all is good. If it moves up, time to work a little harded on watching what I eat.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Usually weekly but have decided to just weigh monthly on the 1st of the month for a while

- although I will probably weigh the day I come back from holiday next month just so I know what the damage is!
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Once a week - change does not happen overnight so why weigh yourself after every night? Of course you're going to be disappointed.
  • tr33p1g
    Options
    I do weigh quite often but only because the fluctuation facinates me, I don't take the measurements seriously. I think how I feel and the mirror are my best indicators of weight loss :)
  • _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm like you. I weigh myself every morning when I get up. I don't get too hung up about daily fluctuations because I input my weight into the "Libra" app for Android and it calculates the trend for me. I also added my goal weight and based on that the app gives me a date at which I should reach my goal at the present rate. Another way of doing it is to set up an Excel spreadsheet and create a graph, it'll give you a visual representation of what your weight is doing in general even though daily measures jump up and down. As it was mentioned earlier, as long as the general trend is downwards, you're sweet! :)
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I weight myself everyday, it's an addiction lol, but I find if I am being good and sticking to my calories I see a decrease on the scales everyday, even if it is only 0.2lb. I only log once a week though.
  • Jfearn64
    Jfearn64 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh every day. Now just once per week at the same time (Sunday as soon as I wake up) It takes out the daily fluctuations and gives you a better view of your weight loss. I still have the urge to hop on it every day though and have to fight that urge just like abstaining from unhealthy foods.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Friday morning, at the same time and after the same routine. This avoids the disappointment you will invariably have with normal weight fluctuations. I know lots of people who weigh every day for a variety of reasons but I would not advocate it. As someone else suggested (and if you have not done so already) I would take lots of measurements as this will keep you sane during periods where the dreaded scale does not move if you see changes to the numbers.
  • stubbseyt
    stubbseyt Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i would like to say every week, but i know i pop on the scales every 4 days or so the temptation is too strong to see if i am still on track but when i went to ww i didn't weigh myself at home because the scales were so different and my wii was ridiculous for measurements so i did used to weigh once a week then.
  • Heatherfev21
    Heatherfev21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I am not alone!

Don't get me wrong, I don't track my weight daily it's more of a "I wonder what I am" weigh in! I tend to think if I haven't shifted, maybe I ate something the day before that didn't agree with me.

We shall see on weigh in Saturday what the extra calories have done to me this week, it's only one week, can down them again, right!?
  • genefabes
    Options
    I weigh in on Monday's. it's helps me never unwind completely on the weekend. the goal is always to be what I weighed the Monday before or less :)
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    daily.

to notice trends so I dont freak out when my weight fluctuates .

womens bodies retain water and such during your cycle and its good to know when those times are so you dont totally flip out.

I was 214 prior to cycle 3 days ago yesterday i was 221 this morning im 218.

I dont freak out on the weight changes now b/c I know why and it happens every month.
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i weigh every day, but i don't think too much about it. my luck, if i weighed once a week, it would always be a day when the scale was UP, and i would get discouraged thinking i wasn't making progress even if i was. sometimes i can fluctuate several lbs from day to day, so it's interesting to me to see the patterns. i don't log my weight every day, only when i stay up or down for several days.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You can weigh every day only if you can handle the normal ups and downs. I do this everytime I am at the gym. I can know if I need to tweek my lifestyle.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    I used to weigh every Monday Morning when I got up, after going potty. BUT...I recently started a 4-week cycle of Turbo Jam and decided I am going to repeat for 4 cycles so, I am going to weigh at the end of each 4-weeks.

NEVER weigh everyday...Like you said, it gets frustrating when the scale goes up and down like it does daily.
  • dstackable
    Options
    I weigh in every Saturday morning, but I do weigh myself every night before bed and every morning. It's an addictive habit. But I do notice that I lose about 2lbs while I sleep. If I don't like the number I saw in the morning, I work harder that day, so maybe thats a good thing.
  • khelser
    Options
    I weigh in every morning. I find that it keeps me motivated, if I haven't lost any weight I do get frustrated but I take it with a grain of salt and work harder. I do on the other hand only updated my weight on MFP once a week. I found that there is one day of the week where I weight less than the others (Thursday) so that is when my updates are entered.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, record weekly. I understand though that weight will fluctuate and ups and downs don't worry me.