Reasonable goals

Options
HEY EVERYONE, I have used this web site before and have been back now for a little while, my question is, what is reasonalbe goals for the furture, I exersize everyday, and stay within my calories, with eating my exersize ones.... Just curious what others have done...... I don't want to be unreasonable.....Here are my main goals

Start weight 276
Weight to date 271
Goal weight 150

I am 5 6 and have med build, my legs are strong and muscular but I have a donut stomach...lol Thanks for the input....

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: When I started, my goal was to stay willing to continue the journey and to stay open minded to new ideas. I planned my meals in advance and stuck to the plan. I exercised every day and looked for ways to improve my workouts and looked for suggestions of additional exercising to do. By reading a lot of posts on MFP I got new ideas about eating and exercising and by taking baby steps i improved and continued.

Best wishes to you on your journey. :bigsmile:
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    I usually just focus on ten pounds at a time. I have a lot of weight I NEED to lose, but it becomes overwhelming to think of such a large number, so I set little mini goals and it helps me to feel accomplished, which helps me continue to move forward.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Me, too.
    If my goal was to lose the whole amount, it would be overwhelming so I just picked a nice round number for my first goal. When I was about 5 pounds away I increased it to another number I haven't seen for many years. It's still exciting but attainable.
    Good luck!
  • lildebbie
    lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    I have had this question to my self lately. Been on MFP for 2 months but dieting on and off my whole life.

I orginally had 150 as my goal...but I have recently changed it to 200. I have a large build and 5'7. Once I get there i will re-evaulate.

The under 100 lbs "new" goal (i am currently 291 and started at 310), makes it seems better than that 160 lbs loss. once I get to 200 i will re-evualte where i need to be.

BUt I agree little goals are the way to goal. Makes it seem less daunting, set you mini goals you will feel great once you get to them.
  • pinkhuntinggirl13
    Options
    I usually just focus on ten pounds at a time. I have a lot of weight I NEED to lose, but it becomes overwhelming to think of such a large number, so I set little mini goals and it helps me to feel accomplished, which helps me continue to move forward.

I find that it's the best to work towards little goals as well!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Set your goals by dates as well - if you want to be 150, keep that goal in mind, but set timelines and smaller goals on the way - say (ie - I am just making these #s up) 250 by Feb 1, 225 by May 1, 200 by July 1.... you can adjust these as needed, but you can keep it going in small bits - sort of like you have daily calorie goals... You don't say - I want to eat 30,000 calories between now and New Years - you say I want to eat 1500 today, and go one day at a time. I'm 5' 9" and my end goal is 135, but I have a 150, and 145 goal in there too. Also, pick your super preferred end weight - mine 135. But have a goal range that you would be realistically comfortable with - mine 145-155. A completely healthy weight, though ideally I'd like to hit 135. I keep that # as motivation, but I have a more realistic range for my body type and height.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Small goals are the way to go. I was somewhere around 280 to 290 when I started and my goal was to be 150 lbs. I saw That was 130+ lbs I had to lose, major mistake. Even losing 5 pounds was not that great when I looked at the whole picture. That number was just so big. After that I set my first goal for 25 lbs and then set 10 pound goals after that. I am now at 174 and now my goal is 165 instead of 150. Once you get down closer to where you want to be your original number might not be what is right for your body. I love my curves and for my bone structure 150 would be to small in my opinion. The main thing is that you are healthy and happy with your end result. Also with mini goals you get to celebrate so many successes which can keep you going!
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Yes set small goals....my orginal goal wt was 200 from 248 then changed to 190 ( i hadnt seen below 200 since the 8th grade) and was so happy when I got there that I knew I could make it to 170 and now here I am thinking about changing it to 160. If I would have said to myself 90lbs to loose in the begining I wouldnt have stuck it out. Good luck you can so do this!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that says set smaller goals. While my original intent is to lose 106 lbs total. I have set not only goals for my wieght, but fitness goals as well. That way I'm not totally focused on the scale.

If I eat correctly and strive for the fitness goals the rest will fall into place.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I like the big and final goal...I find little goals to be more overwhelming- especially with dates attached, because it's too many opportunities to not reach those goals and to feel disappointment. My final goal is 135 (for now) with no set date. I'll get there when I get there. :)
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I think that 150 isn't an unreasonable final goal at all. I would take it 20lbs at a time though and then 10lbs at a time after you start getting down there a little closer to your goal. For me that really helped keeping me on track on sticking with my goals.