Steel cut overnight oats fail :-(

Tried making overnight oats with steel cut oatmeal last night, this morning it had barely absorbed any of the water. Not sure what went wrong. Luckily I had made a batch with regular oatmeal as well so I was able to eat that instead. Any tips on how to make this with steel cut oatmeal? Should I maybe have used hot water instead of cold?

Replies

• Use rolled oats :) and milk! not water x
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    For steel-cut oats I would definitely recommend hot (or even boiling) water/milk instead of cold, and you might even still have to give them a boil-up in the morning.
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Use rolled oats :) and milk! not water x

I was curious about this. What's is the difference when you use milk vs. water?
  • DJ2120
    For steel-cut oats I would definitely recommend hot (or even boiling) water/milk instead of cold, and you might even still have to give them a boil-up in the morning.

Gotcha, thanks for the tip!
  • Use rolled oats :) and milk! not water x

I was curious about this. What's is the difference when you use milk vs. water?

I've never tried it with water tbh, just can't imagine it would taste nice. I made one last night with rolled oats, milk, natural yoghurt, a whole mashed up banana and a tsp of peanut butter. I like using banana because it makes it sweet enough not to add sugar/sweetners.
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    I use oat or almond milk with mine, not water!
    And chia seeds are important - they'll absorb most of the liquid.
    Then just add whatever fruit you like - I've been using 1/2 banana and a large handful of blueberries recently.
  • sjcook23
    sjcook23 Posts: 87 Member
    My friend says she mixes the steel oats in a glass container, then sets it in the crock pot filled with some water on low overnight. She says they come out perfect.
  • DJ2120
    My friend says she mixes the steel oats in a glass container, then sets it in the crock pot filled with some water on low overnight. She says they come out perfect.

I bet it must be amazing! I really want to invest in a crock pot.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    For steel cut oats, I make it on the stovetop with water at night, bring it to a boil, then turn it off and cover it.

It's perfect in the morning, just add some milk, smash it around, and reheat for a few minutes on the stove.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I make them in the crock pot on low overnight...I think you definitely need heat to get them to cook.
  • Dont bother with them at all , grains and the like are hindering actual weightloss, reality is the current modern food pyramid is false. The only reason they want you to eat so many whole grains,wheat etc is it helps keep farms in business. If you reallly want to get fit,healthy,lose weight go with Eating only plants,animals,no sugars. You would be amazed at how much better you feel when you get rid of those other foods you dont really need.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,271 Member
    Tried making overnight oats with steel cut oatmeal last night, this morning it had barely absorbed any of the water. Not sure what went wrong. Luckily I had made a batch with regular oatmeal as well so I was able to eat that instead. Any tips on how to make this with steel cut oatmeal? Should I maybe have used hot water instead of cold?

I use John McCanns Steel cut oats and Ive never had trouble.
    Boil the appropriate amount of water.
    dump in the oats
    Boil covered for 3 minutes
    Turn off burner
    Go to sleep
    Wake up
    Turn on burner
    stir
    heat and eat

*milk makes no difference other than additional calories and fat use it if you wish instead of water
  • MassiveDelta
    Dont bother with them at all , grains and the like are hindering actual weightloss, reality is the current modern food pyramid is false. The only reason they want you to eat so many whole grains,wheat etc is it helps keep farms in business. If you reallly want to get fit,healthy,lose weight go with Eating only plants,animals,no sugars. You would be amazed at how much better you feel when you get rid of those other foods you dont really need.

This is out right False and not sound dietary advice
  • MassiveDelta
    Use rolled oats :) and milk! not water x

Avoid rolled outs its more processed...those steel rollers squish all the nutrients out of the oat...Less processed food equals better whole food.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    I make steel cut oats as overnight oats all the time. 1/4 cup of mccanns steel cut oats (not bob's brand), 1/2 cup unsweetned almond milk, 1 packet stevia, 1 tbsp of unsalted nutbutter (i use cashew quite often), 1/2 cup of greek yogurt. I had trouble with them at first.

I eat grains, I eat carbs... I do my best. I dont believe in eliminating an entire food group.... thats my opinion and im sticking to it.
  • Dont bother with them at all , grains and the like are hindering actual weightloss, reality is the current modern food pyramid is false. The only reason they want you to eat so many whole grains,wheat etc is it helps keep farms in business. If you reallly want to get fit,healthy,lose weight go with Eating only plants,animals,no sugars. You would be amazed at how much better you feel when you get rid of those other foods you dont really need.

This is out right False and not sound dietary advice

Actually it is sound advice but its for a lifestyle change not a short term diet, you also reduce carbs big time that is the bodies number 1 killer of diets. Just google Primal Blueprint, their actual claims etc are backed by true actual scientific,medical testing and not just testing on a group of 50 people to see if it worked. A bowl of oatmeal a week wont destroy you but thinking oatmeal is the best thing for you, your kidding yourself.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    I make steel cut oats as overnight oats all the time. 1/4 cup of mccanns steel cut oats (not bob's brand), 1/2 cup unsweetned almond milk, 1 packet stevia, 1 tbsp of unsalted nutbutter (i use cashew quite often), 1/2 cup of greek yogurt. I had trouble with them at first.

I eat grains, I eat carbs... I do my best. I dont believe in eliminating an entire food group.... thats my opinion and im sticking to it.

How do you cook this? It sounds delish!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    I usually cook them for about 2 minutes, then once it has cooled, stick them in the fridge. It is the cooking at night that helps make them soft in the morning. Pretty much all you are doing is just heating them up. Personally I eat cream of wheat. Has more iron than oats and quicker to make in the morning.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I see these posts about overnight oats quite often. Why are you cooking them overnight? The package I have says to cook for 10-20 min.

I've even soaked them in cold water for 30-40 min like you would bulgar wheat and they are soft.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member

I bet it must be amazing! I really want to invest in a crock pot.

We do this every weekday. Get a small crock pot - 1 1/2 qt or so - and a lamp timer. For 2 servings, use 1/2 c steel cut oats and 13oz of water, cook 2 hours on low (set the timer to turn on two hours before you want to eat breakfast). For 3 servings, 3/4 c oats and 18oz water, 2 1/2 hours on low.

DO NOT use milk for this method, it will curdle.