Low Calories

Options
Ok, so here's my issue...

Most days, my calories per day are WAY too low, and i know this, but what i want to know is- is it such a bad thing? This is why i ask....

When i'm hungry, i eat and I eat what i want to eat. I don't deprive myself of things-ever! I'm not one of these silly girls who thinks if i starve myself i will lose weight faster. I don't starve myself, don't get hunger pains and i never tell myself i must not eat because i'm trying to lose weight. It just seems, since i've been changing my eating habits, i seem to have a vastly reduced appetite! I don't feel ill in any way as a result of my calories being so low and as far as i'm concerned I could easily maintain this way of eating for as long as i'm alive.

Quite often i have people telling me my calories are far too low and I need to eat more, but I don't see why I should be eating food when i'm not hungry, just for the sake of additional calories?

Is it just me? Or does anyone else have a similar issue?

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I looked at a few days of your diary and I saw days with 480ish calories, 700 something and a high of 1092.

That IS far too low. There aren't many ways to "not be hungry" eating that little: eating disorder, or such a slow in metabolism that you don't feel hunger, or both.

ETA: Major depression could also cause the inappetance.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I would not be asking your question here because its of a medical-variety. I would consult with both a physician overseeing your care and a Registered Dietician.... Eating too low without medical supervision is not smart at all - in fact it can be detrimental for some people (not all)... Let the real medical experts guide you with your question because they have access to your total health history... MFP is not a medical resource that has access....better to be safe!
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    again let me re-iterate that i don't eat this way on purpose to lose weight. I know it doesn't work that way.

I FAR from have an eating disorder. Trust me, when i wanna eat, i eat. I don't feel guilt about it/make myself sick etc.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    again let me re-iterate that i don't eat this way on purpose to lose weight. I know it doesn't work that way.

I FAR from have an eating disorder. Trust me, when i wanna eat, i eat. I don't feel guilt about it/make myself sick etc.

I understand that is what you believe. Eating as little as you do is "disordered eating". What's causing it is anyone's guess, but if you print out your diaries and take them to a doctor, they will tell you the same.

I also now understand that you just wanted people to tell you that your eating habits are AOK. I wish you well on the road to better health, but you won't get there eating the way you are now.
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    What about adding high calorie foods into your diet. Like a handful of almonds for a snack. They have a lot of calories in a small amount, but also have lots of nutrients as well. Or maybe a protein bar?
  • cramernh
    Options

WOW... I dont know why you jumped on the big assumption wagon like that.... clearly someone has made you feel that way but my post did not say anything of that matter at all. You asked, I suggested.

I dont know why you became overly offensive.. it was not necessary considering I never said any of that. You asked about lower than normal calories.. and I simply stated, that should be reviewed by your physician and perhaps also an RD.... I say that to all of my patients where I work because its good common sense.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    You have gotten used to eating less so you don't feel your hunger. If you have ever watched Supersize vs Superskinny they explain on this programme why eating so little is bad. You are not getting all the vitamins and minerals your body needs and may feel great now but if you carry on eating like this you will end up with serious health problems.
  • cramernh
    Options
    now that I have refreshed the screen, I do see the other posts now. Well... basically it is going to be construed as disordered eating because of what you have documented in your food diary....

Now I definitely can say - talk with your doctor and a registered dietician....before this becomes more of a problem....
  • Joannie30
    Options

WOW... I dont know why you jumped on the big assumption wagon like that.... clearly someone has made you feel that way but my post did not say anything of that matter at all. You asked, I suggested.

I dont know why you became overly offensive.. it was not necessary considering I never said any of that. You asked about lower than normal calories.. and I simply stated, that should be reviewed by your physician and perhaps also an RD.... I say that to all of my patients where I work because its good common sense.

No no i wasn't being overly offensive. Sorry that it came over that way. I just wanted to point out that i'm really not anorexic or anything else and i'm not stupid. (again not implying thats what you were suggesting, just saying). I know that i need to eat more to stop my muscle mass wasting away etc but i just don't know how to!

I didn't post so that people would tell me my eating habits are ok, because i know they're clearly not. I posted to see if anyone was going through a similar issue and if so what they are doing to remedy it, or to give me tips on what foods might be better for me to eat etc.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Ok, so here's my issue...

Most days, my calories per day are WAY too low, and i know this, but what i want to know is- is it such a bad thing? This is why i ask....

When i'm hungry, i eat and I eat what i want to eat. I don't deprive myself of things-ever! I'm not one of these silly girls who thinks if i starve myself i will lose weight faster. I don't starve myself, don't get hunger pains and i never tell myself i must not eat because i'm trying to lose weight. It just seems, since i've been changing my eating habits, i seem to have a vastly reduced appetite! I don't feel ill in any way as a result of my calories being so low and as far as i'm concerned I could easily maintain this way of eating for as long as i'm alive.

Quite often i have people telling me my calories are far too low and I need to eat more, but I don't see why I should be eating food when i'm not hungry, just for the sake of additional calories?

Is it just me? Or does anyone else have a similar issue?
    "Hunger" is a trained hormonal response to eating patterns. You don't feel hungry because your body has adjusted to not getting enough food, and it turns off the hunger pangs, because hunger pangs are distracting, and if food is so scarce that you are eating so little, then the distraction of a hunger pang could cause you to miss food.

Also, you've slowed your metabolism to an absolute crawl eating that low, which can lead to organ damage, muscle loss, and even organ failure. There's a reason the World Health Organization states that 1200 calories is the MINIMUM a woman should eat.
  • Joannie30
    Options
    You have gotten used to eating less so you don't feel your hunger. If you have ever watched Supersize vs Superskinny they explain on this programme why eating so little is bad. You are not getting all the vitamins and minerals your body needs and may feel great now but if you carry on eating like this you will end up with serious health problems.

I know its not quite enough, but i do take a multi-vitamin every day so i am getting some vitamins.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    What about adding high calorie foods into your diet. Like a handful of almonds for a snack. They have a lot of calories in a small amount, but also have lots of nutrients as well. Or maybe a protein bar?

I agree with this. Try adding some greek yogurt or an avocado or 2. Good luck!
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    You need more protein. Try adding some peanut butter, nuts, or protein shakes to your diet. It will increase your calories and your protein at the same time.
  • Poods71
    Options

I know its not quite enough, but i do take a multi-vitamin every day so i am getting some vitamins.

Sorry, but it's definitely not enough. Your body needs food. Vitamins are for supplementing your diet not in place of it. As another poster said try adding little snacks like nuts etc. and you will be added much needed calories and getting an appetite back.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    losing scale weight =/= body composition/being healthy/looking good.
  • helenwilliams78
    helenwilliams78 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I noticed in your diary that you eat a diet ready meal on occasions. If you know you're not getting enough calories why not switch to a regular meal?
    I agree with the extra protein as well....
  • Joannie30
    Options
    So, say for example i started eating much more as of today. Do you think that's likely to stop me from having health problems or has the damage already been done?
  • Joannie30
    Options
    losing scale weight =/= body composition/being healthy/looking good.

I know! That's my point! well, partly...
  • Poods71
    Options
    So, say for example i started eating much more as of today. Do you think that's likely to stop me from having health problems or has the damage already been done?

I don't know how long you have been eating like this. If it's a short time then you are probably fine but if it has been long term then there could be some damage but this can be reversed with a normal healthy diet. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Joannie30
    Options
    I noticed in your diary that you eat a diet ready meal on occasions. If you know you're not getting enough calories why not switch to a regular meal?
    I agree with the extra protein as well....

Diet ready meal? I haven't eaten a ready meal since I moved to England almost 3 years ago?! I cook all my meals from scratch as far as possible. I've recently stopped even using jars of pasta sauce/packet mixes....

:noway: