Plateau

Options
Hi all

I don't typically seek advice on online forums, but have read through some threads here and it seems to be pretty valuable information.

On June 13 (just a random day) I downloaded a calorie counter on my Blackberry (Fat Secret). Started keeping track of what I was eating and it shocked me.

I play hockey twice a week, run 3-4 times a week, and golf once a week. I would consider myself very active. I run a half marathon every fall.

I also eat way too much, and eat bad foods.

Anyways, on June 13th I started to be concious of what was going in, and I was astonished. I was averaging 4000-4500 calories, and very little of it was healthy.

On June 13th, I weighed 255 and am 5'10.

For June/July, I was averaging about 2300-2500 calories a day and the weight has been coming off. I'm down to 225 right now, but feel that it has been a healthy weight loss.

For the past month, I have been running 4 times a week with a 15km run each sunday. I bought a road bike and have been putting on about 100km a week, and of course still play hockey and golf once a week.

I feel great, run faster, skate faster, look better.

BUT -

In the last week or two, I have been working out harder than ever with good quality runs. Over the last 5-6 days, I have been averaging about 2000 calories, but have not lost an ounce. In fact, I weighed myself this morning and came in at 227.

I'm not quitting by all means, but wonder if this kind of plateau is normal. I know that I can stand to lose another 30-40lbs without being feakishly slim.

Replies

• MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    maybe when you work out more you need to eat more? I know also when you start working out more your using muscles that you haven't used for a long time and putting more strain on them which causes you to retain water so they can repair and you may see weight gain even... I would hope since you upped your workout you also are taking in a good amount of protein. I'm not an expert and I can just go off what I read since I have been here. Maybe others can help more.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Totally normal and it's not technically a plateau. A plateau is 4-6 weeks of no change, not 5-6 days.

If you've significantly increased exercise, you are most likely storing more glycogen and water in your muscles. I think that's why you're seeing the pause here--you are losing but the additional glycogen and water is masking it.

It happens to anyone who either begins an exercise program or increases their exercise.:flowerforyou:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Do nothing different for now. Give it a few more weeks.