Vegetable smoothies that aren't icky

Options
I really want to start having homemade smoothies but don't want to eat loads and loads of fruit (some is great but I don't want fruit as a whole meal ). I've been experimenting with fruit and veg smoothies and some are fine but seem really fruit heavy still
So i waswondering if anyone had any veg smoothie recipes that taste great

Replies

• nszocinski
    nszocinski Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    The best I've been able to get is spinach or rhubarb with 1 c of strawberries.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Spinach an/or kale in rice milk with banana is lovely. I like to add a bit of turmeric too.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Beetroot and berries make a lovely smoothie combo too.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    1 c. spinach
    1/4 c. greek yogurt
    1/4 c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    4-6 strawberries
    1/2 c. blueberries
    1/2 banana
    ice
    (sometimes I add a 1/2 scoop of protein powder if I had a hard workout)

It makes a lot of smoothie for about 280 calories and it keeps me full until lunch... I drink them for dinner sometimes if I don't feel like cooking :) Enjoy!
  • lmfsmiles
    lmfsmiles Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk with kale, peeled cucumber, carrot and always add banana or strawberry to sweeten it. I'm interested in seeing some of the replies on this.

I know some people use peanut butter that might make it taste better too.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Here are some smoothie recipes for you to try.

http://www.free-healthy-diet-plans.com/breakfast-smoothie-recipes.html

This is what I drink sometimes:

4 cups baby organic spinach
    1 cup coconut milk
    1 cup fage yogurt
    1 TB lemon cod liver oil
    1/3- 1/2 cup frozen mixed berry blend (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries)
    2 cups ice
    1/2 scoop Jay Robb powder
    2 TB ground chia seeds

Blend together and drink. This keeps me full through breakfast and lunch.
  • diet_bunny
    Options
    Thanks for your ideas everyone. I looking forward to trying these :)
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Add things with more of a mild flavor and just a little at a time until you get used to it, maybe include 1 fruit like banana, pear or mango, and cucumber, celery, zucchini, tomato to start since they aren't super strong but hydrating.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I just started making 'green' smoothies for myself and family. My 7 year old LOVES them! We call them 'Shrek' smoothies. She thinks it's hilarious!

Our favorite so far is:

1/2 cup ice
    1 cup pineapple
    1/2 cup mango
    1/2 banana
    2 cups spinach
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk.

I always do the spinach, banana and pineapple but switch up the mango to something else. We've tried strawberries, blueberries, etc. I find the pineapple adds the sweetness and the banana gives it some thickness.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    baby spinach and cucumber tend to be mild tasting so especially good for beginner smoothie makers.

I'd avoid things like mustard greens, arugula/rocket, beets (although I love these in smoothies) and celery. You could mask some of the tastes with ginger and apple, which is a good combo.
  • loveachallenge
    loveachallenge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie pretty much every morning.

I use the 3:1 ratio. 3 veggies for every fruit

kale, spinach, brocolli, carrot, cucumber
    strawberries, blueberries, 1/2 banana, apple, honeydew, mango

I add vanilla protein powder, chia seeds and flax seeds

Usually I mix with 8 ounces of water or 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk

My favorite is strawberry, 1/2 banana, kale, spinach, protein, chia and flax seeds and water w/ ice! Delicious and packed with nutrients! I usually make a 32oz smoothie
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Here's the secret. A banana will mask the taste of most veggies in a green smoothie. Just use one though as they are high in cals, carbs, and sugar. I use greens like spinach, kale, bok choy, dandelion greens, cabbage, swiss chard. Love the kale in a smoothie. A mango in a green smoothie will give it a creamy texture. Only liquid I mix with is water or coconut water. Berries are also great to mix in these and they will takeover the flavor of the greens. Ive used grapes, pears, peaches, nectarines also.

My go to.

Kale
    Banana
    Water

Avoid mustard greens. Yuck you can't mask the taste of those things lol.
  • muamontreal
    muamontreal Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    go and see the site below :
    http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/

she has tones of recipes and a lot of information for beginners (like how to rotate your greens, etc..)

Hope this helps and happy blending !
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/02/24/raw-mint-chocolate-chip-milkshake/

I used half a cup of spinach (I hate spinach), and it came out pretty darn awesome.