Injured / sidelined

Options
We all tell each other not to work out on an injury, to rest and heal so that we can come back stronger than ever, to not risk further injury that could set back our training for months. And that’s the right thing to say. We also silently are grateful that it’s not us, that we are not sidelined for the duration, not losing the edge we worked so hard to develop, not gaining back weight because we’re not working out and we are binge eating out of depression that we’re not working out.

Now I’m the injured party. I trained with a really dedicated and terrific group of people for an “extreme” event that takes place this Sunday. Yesterday, while on a regular run—where I was taking it easy, no less!—my right ankle started to hurt. I kept on, and the ankle only got worse. I was unable to finish the run and limped back to the office for my shower. I kept the ankle elevated, with ice, and took lots of ibuprofen. Today the ankle is only slightly better. Walking hurts. Even standing hurts. Without drastic improvement in the next three days, I will have to miss the event for which I have been training.

At 47 I am in the best shape of my life. I started working out late in life: at 38. Before that I was never ahtletic. Four years ago I moved (again), and it took until late last year before I felt that I had a community. That community is the people with whom I train. Because of their support, earlier this year I was able to lose the five pounds I have been trying to drop for several years. And it was so easy I went on to lose another ten. When we started training for Tough Mudder, I could not run a mile. With their support, I now can run three miles in 27 minutes. I got stronger, more determined. And it was about the camaraderie and making it through together.

These people have also supported me through struggles with my sons and with my triumphs and challenges at work. We party together. I love them, and I am grateful for them.

If I can’t participate in Tough Mudder on Sunday, I need to hang onto that camaraderie, that sense of community. I need to focus on the fact that I’m in this fitness thing for the long haul: the rest of my life. It does not make sense to sacrifice my ankle for one day, one event. Especially as we are already talking about next year.

I wanted to end this post on an up note. Something like, “There’s always next year!” Or, “I know my friends will be there for me.” Both of those cliches are true. But they don’t really help. If I can’t participate on Sunday, that will be a huge personal disappointment, and knowing that it’s wise will not really make me feel better. I just want to play, and getting injured is unfair and sucks.

Replies

• mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    i know the feeling.. i play lots of team sports. last year playing football(soccer), i was involved in a really nasty tackle and damaged the ligaments in my ankle.. was on crutches for 2 weeks and out for 6 weeks. absolutely killed me to watch everyone else on the pitch and me stood on the sidelines. however i knew, despite wanting to jump on crutches and all that i couldnt. a friend of mine hurt her groin and was told to rest for 2 weeks... she didnt and continued playing..... she ended up aggravating the injury and ended up requiring surgery to fix it. it is hard- and i know you just want to go ahead, but think of the risks you put yourself through if you run on your ankle and you do something much worse, you could be out weeks, months, possibly longer! I would say be there to support your team, once your ankle is fully mended, go out there and train so you are in even better shape for the next competition etc.
  • Theresa_Beck
    Theresa_Beck Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is not about the destination, but the journey. You've been tough mudding it already! The real test is in the journey. Leon always tells me....you are being tested every day and every minute, not just at test time. ...... :flowerforyou:
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    We all tell each other not to work out on an injury, to rest and heal so that we can come back stronger than ever, to not risk further injury that could set back our training for months. And that’s the right thing to say. We also silently are grateful that it’s not us, that we are not sidelined for the duration, not losing the edge we worked so hard to develop, not gaining back weight because we’re not working out and we are binge eating out of depression that we’re not working out.

Oh man. This is so, so true.

I'm really sorry. :( I'm training for my first half marathon in October, and I know how I would feel in this situation, and nothing anyone can say will really make it better. It's not fair, and it does suck. It IS best to follow the wiser course and rest. But that doesn't make it suck any less. Again, I'm sorry. Fingers crossed that ankle gets a lot better really fast.
  • lexark
    Options
    I totally feel your pain; I had an injury just before the Tough Mudder earlier this year that completely sidelined me for a few months. Knees went out after an 11 mile run and its frustrating period. The very BEST thing I did after was to still go to the Mudder, popping up at different points in the course to cheer on my team, took pictures and yelled long and loud for them. It was an awesome experience! I’ll be honest I was sad I couldn’t run with them but happy I could be there to support the team. I kept doing upper body training to keep myself happy and healthy, it kept me from letting the injury get me down too much.

I’ve dealt with a number of injuries the last 5 years and have also been my most active. It’s how you deal with it when you get thrown the curve that’s going to make all the difference. Work with a physical therapist (PT) and come up with a great program to get your injury back in shape, it should be progressive stages- if it’s all the same stuff over and over go see someone else. I also had my PT work with my trainer to come up with a modified training program so I could keep progressing. I went back every few weeks and had it adjusted after assessing my progress. It made a huge difference and kept me moving. The biggest thing I learned though is not to push to the point of re injury. If you don’t allow time and treatment to heal you won’t get back in the game at all.

Many happy healthy thoughts on your road to recovery. There’s always more races ahead :) I had my “comeback” race in June and many more coming up. Outside of the mudder there are loads more adventure races you can get your feet wet as you prepare for the big oorah return!
  • kfuog
    kfuog Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support, both from my friends and from unknown (to me) MFP pals. I'll make the decision Sunday morning about whether to participate. The ankle is a little better. Train hard! Be wise! Be fierce!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    It really does suck :(

It's your decision, but honestly... sometimes, the outcome is "you don't get to do that. Not just this Sunday, but *ever*". That sucks a lot more.

(I got to running late, loved it, shoes hung up for good on dr's orders)
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I felt like I was reading my story. I am scheduled for my first 5K on Sunday. I did something to my knee 4 weeks ago. It still hurts when I exercise. Yesterday, it felt great, today it hurts. So it looks like my first 5K will be a walk. I was suppose to run with both of my sons! I am so disappointed, but we will have fun anyway.

I am not giving up, I am planning a hot chocolate 5K in November. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  • jellnor
    Options
    Ditto for me, planned on Warrior Dash with wife and SIL on Saturday the 15th and messed up my knee two weeks prior. Icing, resting and taking pain killers in hope that I can walk it at a minimum.