Your favorite coffee?

Options
13»

Replies

• 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I've been buying fair trade stuff at Sam's club (Member's Mark) for like $15 (I think it's 2+ lbs of coffee)... pretty good. Using the French roast now. Also, I had coupons for Gevalia, so I have some of that I use intermittently. Otherwise, I'm a huge fan of Dunkin Donuts coffee (and they do carry that in stores now, thankfully - I used to buy it in bulk online).
  • nis75p06
    nis75p06 Posts: 114
    Options
    I keep lots of different varieties of K-cups on hand to satisfy me and the usual visitors. Right now coffee-wise I have on hand:

Green Mountain Breakfast Blend
    Timothy's Breakfast Blend
    Timothy's San Lorenzo Dark
    Starbucks Veranda
    Green Mountain Pumpkin Spice
    Timothy's Sugar Bush Maple

All brewed on the 6oz setting with 1-2 tablespoons of half-and-half.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I just buy whole beans ( I like Trader Joes and World Market's coffees), grind them and brew them in a standard pot. Nothing fancy but it works for us.
  • LordByproduct
    Options
    i was a coffee roaster/wholesale coffee seller/ barista for years during the early 90's. my suggestions are not brand based but type and flavor based. (also i do not like starbucks because they are corprate and killed off a lot of independant coffee stores)

first. you do NOT need a special coffee maker. in fact fancier is worse....kuregg or whatever is SO LAME.

the BEST coffee is made in a traditional coffe maker with a standard type filter (triangular, not the round basket types like old mr coffee)
    the maker can be electric or just by a filter-holder that goes over a cup or a pot (they make different sizes for each) and they are cheap....like less than 8 dollars.

second. DARK ROAST is not better!!!!! dark roast is a gimmick that kills flavor and caffeine and BURNS the coffee. so why do they sell so much dark/espresso roasts... because people dont know better. the thing is this dark roasting tastes strong but it is WEAK.
    that said, some people like dark roast better and that is fine. i just say try medium and light roasts and see for your self.

finally, a list of coffee types that are wonderfull (not a complete list just some things to try) in order of my preference and with some notes about why they are good.

1) Sumatran mandheling (or any sumatran) medium roast!!!! this is a great tasting smooth, medium body coffee with high cafein.. kick! and low acid so it will be easy on your stomach.
    2) Antigua Guatemalan more smooth rich flavor
    3) celebis sulawesi hard to find but worth the flavor
    4) tanzia peaberry hard to find but yummy
    5) mocha java
    6) Costa Rica

be sure and look for FRESHLY ROASTED COFFEE> if you are going to pay 7-10 dollars (or more) for coffee DONT BUY OLD UNDATED BEANS. go local get it done fresh.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Dunkin Donuts coffee is awesome. Just say no to Starbucks! :)
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    i was a coffee roaster/wholesale coffee seller/ barista for years during the early 90's. my suggestions are not brand based but type and flavor based. (also i do not like starbucks because they are corprate and killed off a lot of independant coffee stores)

first. you do NOT need a special coffee maker. in fact fancier is worse....kuregg or whatever is SO LAME.

the BEST coffee is made in a traditional coffe maker with a standard type filter (triangular, not the round basket types like old mr coffee)
    the maker can be electric or just by a filter-holder that goes over a cup or a pot (they make different sizes for each) and they are cheap....like less than 8 dollars.

second. DARK ROAST is not better!!!!! dark roast is a gimmick that kills flavor and caffeine and BURNS the coffee. so why do they sell so much dark/espresso roasts... because people dont know better. the thing is this dark roasting tastes strong but it is WEAK.
    that said, some people like dark roast better and that is fine. i just say try medium and light roasts and see for your self.

finally, a list of coffee types that are wonderfull (not a complete list just some things to try) in order of my preference and with some notes about why they are good.

1) Sumatran mandheling (or any sumatran) medium roast!!!! this is a great tasting smooth, medium body coffee with high cafein.. kick! and low acid so it will be easy on your stomach.
    5) mocha java
    6) Costa Rica

be sure and look for FRESHLY ROASTED COFFEE> if you are going to pay 7-10 dollars (or more) for coffee DONT BUY OLD UNDATED BEANS. go local get it done fresh.

Awesome info!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Maxwell House
  • technogal63
    Options
    We have a Keurig at home and have the attachment that allows you to use your own coffee. LOVE the Cafe du Monde Decaf w/chicory, awesome! We buy ours at Cost Plus World Market.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My favorite coffee is something freshly ground. Check around for a local coffeeplace and if they roast and grind beans there, try a bag. I've had some amazing coffee that way, but it can be pricy. Then you just run a few handfulls through your grinder at home before you brew.

If you're looking for a small coffeemaker, a French Press or an Aeropress will fit the bill. (Especially if other people in the house make tea/etc, since water already has to boil for them it's convenient). French Press come in huge sizes as well.

If you regularly plan to make a large batch, I think any electric coffeemaker will do. Or a percolator is kindof fun, electric or stove-top. French Press come in huge sizes as well.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

5) mocha java
    6) Costa Rica

Cheers! :drinker:
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I'm not a coffee snob (I save that for beer) so I just have a Keurig. My favorites for that are:

Green Mountain Coffee Sumatran Reserve
    Green Mountain Coffee Dark Magic
    Coffee People Jet Fuel

Wow, same here, especially the beer part. I like Timothy's decaf for when the caffeine starts getting to me.
  • technogal63
    Options
    keurig sucks in my opinion. it's so controlled & there's no way i can make my coffee the way i want it; sometimes i like it darker, or stronger, or more bitter, and i love to try different roasts & blends from different coffeemakers.

if u can't get an espresso machine (i finally just got one for a wedding gift, $250 @ bed bath n beyond) that u can also control, then i would definitely recommend a french press. u can control not only what coffee you choose, but also the factors in your preparation.

There actually is a $14.99 Keurig attachment that allows you to use your own coffee and control how much/little you put into the cup. We use all sorts of coffees with ours and control the coffee strength by modifying the cup size.
  • Alynus70
    Options
    I drink all coffee black. And never any fru-fru stuff like caramel mochachino latte whatever…
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Whatever coffee I happen to have on hand (currently Godiva Caramel Pecan Bark) drip-brewed with 2 tablespoons of half and half or coconut milk creamer.
  • LordByproduct
    Options

on the subject of whole beans or ground. Grind the coffee your self just before you are going to brew. buying pre-ground coffee loses a lot of flavor. whole beans (stored in air tight container) are BEST> for grinding a simple blade grinder will do fine, once you learn to grind uniformly and not get carried away (dont reduce it to dust nor leave too big of chunks) but a burr-type coffee "mill" is WAY BETTER (about 60 bucks) the grind size is very specific (size DOES matter, a LOT in this case)

on brewing.....If you want to get the very best brew do it by hand into the filterholder with 190-200 degrees (not boiling) and pour in just enough to wet the grounds. let this sit for ten to fifteen seconds before toping it off with hot H2O.

5) mocha java
    6) Costa Rica

• CarmenLynn75
    CarmenLynn75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    2tsp Nescafe Rich Columbian Instant
    2tsp Nescafe Espresso Instant
    6 Tbsp Hazelnut coffee creamer (fat free)

I had to stop these and cut them to a watery 1, 1 and 3 :( .. and enjoy a real good, strong creamy coffee only once per week due to calories..
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Whatever hubby has roasted first thing in the morning is my favourite; we own a coffee roastery!! LordByproduct is absolutely right, french press ( we call it a cafetiere here in the UK) is the best way to make it . Not too dark, and personally I prefer a blend rather than single origin.

I won't drink instant, the extra caffeine they put it in gives me palpitations :sick: