New Group to go Beyond Fat Loss

Options
In the past few years my weight has fluctuated up and down 20-30 lbs. When I finally reached my goal weight in 2006, I was unhappy to find that I'd only become a skinny-fat version of myself. In 2007 I began lifting weights and loved the results. However, stress and school got in the way in addition to knee surgery and the weight came creeping back on me. Now I'm maintaining a weight that I am satisfied at and ready to do a figure competition in the fall of 2010. If you haven't heard of figure competing, it is a competition of muscular and feminine physiques, rewarded for all the blood, sweat and tears in the gym.

I'm writing this not to convince you to become ultra lean and compete, but if you are interested I think that is fabulous. This is a group for individual's wanting to define their hard earned bodies and go beyond 'skinny-fat' (think of the lean women of Oxygen Magazine). If you have reached your goal and still feel unsatisfied I think this may be what you are looking for.

We can check in with one another and post tips for staying motivated and eating clean. Let me know what you think!

Replies

• bjerkins
    bjerkins Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is where I need to be. I've lost almost 50 lbs and am at a weight I never thought I'd see. I am ok with what I weigh but would like to get rid of the flab? How do I get started. Hoe did you get started?
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge advocate of resistance training. Have you tried this yet? If you want to work towards tightening up your body you need to begin incorporating resistance training 3 days a week, gradually working up to 4 or 5 days a week. In addition, you may need to 'clean' up your diet. This consists of not only looking at your caloric intake, but making sure you are consume enough wholesome sources of protein, carbs, and fats.

Another huge misconception with resistance is becoming bulky. If you want an increased metabolic rate lifting hard and heavy is the way to go. Don't be afraid to move beyond high repetitions. There are many good resources online for resistance training such as exrx.net. I could even set you up with a basic plan of what you could do.

I began lifting when my boyfriend took me to the gym and taught me proper form of many exercises. I loved it so much I changed my major to Exercise Science and graduated with a bachelor's of science and am now working towards a master's of science in Exercise Psychology.