Ever washed your Ipod?

Options
Has anyone else put their IPod through the washing machine? Is there any way to rescue it?

Replies

• courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Not the washer, but it was in the front compartment of my backpack and it was sitting in a puddle of water for awhile. I just let it sit for awhile. I put it in a bag of rice overnight; the next day I took the hairdryer to it and aimed it so it would go "through" it by aiming it in the charger hole. I did the hairdryer thing for awhile. It is important that your ipod is off and you don't turn it on for like 2 days. It needs to dry out and you don't want to fry your motherboard. Good luck!!
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Eeek I don't have great news... Mine dropped in the toilet when it was in my pocket and I got it out really quick and it was in a cover and it never came back to me... but I'd let it dry out for awhile and maybe you'll get lucky!

~Leash :heart:
  • 4mykids
    4mykids Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yep! I just have the little ipod... but it went through the washing machine. My husband thought it was pooched, but I told him to just try it -- and yay - IT WORKED!!! And still works! I didn`t do anything to it. Just let it dry out. However, the rice might be a good idea to try.
  • KarenLue
    KarenLue Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i WASHED MY daughters' i-pod in the washer and it was dead dead dead.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    From what I hear is that as long as you don't turn it on and let it dry out (putting it in a bag of rice is a great idea), it can be rescued.. There is no guarantee though.
  • michfleming
    Options
    Funny you ask this because my son forgot to empty his pockets last night and I found his ipod this morning in the washing machine. He told me to put in rice also. Soooooo I'm hoping in a couple of days it will come back to life for him. I'm not buying the new one if it doesn't live. Hmmm i wonder why I won't buy him a cell phone!!!!!
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    the rice works because it pulls out moisture rather than just letting it air dry
  • ChristineL
    Options
    If you can get hold of some silicone in a baggie and leave it overnight, that works well too. I saved a cell phone like that one. Same prinicple as the rice--but silicone is a little better at drawing out moisture.
  • ColoradoGirl
    ColoradoGirl Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I washed my cell phone.. instead of trying to see if it worked I took the battery out and placed it in the refrigerator for about a week! It works perfect! Key is to not try and use it first because the water can cause it to short circuit and fry the board on it!
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    Yep. My boyfriend borrowed it and put it through the washer and dryer. Very Very dead. so was the Ipod.
  • ashanley1
    ashanley1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I spilled a bottle of diet coke in my purse where my iphone was. I put it in a bag of rice for a little over 24 hours and then it would turn on and off. I got a new phone, but my husband continued to use the old one to play games. About a week later it started working reliably. He now uses it for his phone. There is hope, it just takes time.
  • dujennifer
    dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Crud, my fiance already tried to turn it on. I will try and use some of thse other tricks and see if I can rescue it. Thanks for the pointers!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I asked my friend who owns a phone store. Rice is your best option. However, you should never use a blow dryer. if the internal mechanisms get to hot they can explode at the worst, or simply fry and never work at the least.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I washed my cell phone.. instead of trying to see if it worked I took the battery out and placed it in the refrigerator for about a week! It works perfect! Key is to not try and use it first because the water can cause it to short circuit and fry the board on it!

I have washed a cell phone before...what a pain.:grumble: :mad: The tech at the phone store told me that the refrigerator trick may work, BUT, it has to be a self-defrosting refrigerator. In my case, I replaced my phone, ignored the other one for a month, and for the heck of it decided to see if it would work for battery charging. It does, and it also allows me to go in and find the occasional phone number that I didn't yet put in my replacement phone. I have never tried to call on it, since it is no longer active on my account
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Yep. My boyfriend borrowed it and put it through the washer and dryer. Very Very dead. so was the Ipod.

:laugh:
  • dujennifer
    dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    After attempting a rescue, the Ipod is no longer. May it RIP. Thanks for all the suggestions!