What am I doing wrong?

Options
If anyone has time to look at my diary and help, I'd appreciate it. I lost pretty well for the first few weeks (I know that's expected) but now I'm gaining. I'm up .8 in the last week. I was told I was eating too few calories..so I upped them yesterday. Felt like too much food for me and I was up again this morning. I am doing the 30 day shred 6 days a week and c25 k 3 days a week. Please help. I'm getting discouraged :(
Thanks

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If anyone has time to look at my diary and help, I'd appreciate it. I lost pretty well for the first few weeks (I know that's expected) but now I'm gaining. I'm up .8 in the last week. I was told I was eating too few calories..so I upped them yesterday. Felt like too much food for me and I was up again this morning. I am doing the 30 day shred 6 days a week and c25 k 3 days a week. Please help. I'm getting discouraged :(
    Thanks

I'm being blunt here but this is not a personal attack:

1) .8 lbs. POINT EIGHT. I can probably fart this. This is trivial.
    2) One week is also relatively meaningless.

I don't know your entire plan so I can't comment on how intelligent it is, but generally speaking, the criteria by which you have decided to change your plan, is not good.

If you keep making changes based on trivial things you are never going to settle in on meaningful data.

My suggestion would be to do nothing for at least 3 more weeks.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    When I increased my calories, I gained for two weeks in a row, then it started coming off and I've had really good losses every week since then.

Be patient and give it a month.

Edited to correct a typo!
  • rnhoppe
    rnhoppe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the feed back and I know .8 is nothing...but to see the scale move in the wrong direction everyday is getting hard mentally. What can I tell you about my plan to help you help me?
    Thanks

I don't know your entire plan so I can't comment on how intelligent it is, but generally speaking, the criteria by which you have decided to change your plan, is not good.

If you keep making changes based on trivial things you are never going to settle in on meaningful data.

• 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Thanks

He may be blunt but he is dead on here. There are too many people recommending upping calories because they share how they lost weight when doing so. When we are riding a weight loss wave there is a period of time where we will still lose weight even when upping the calories but that ride will end soon if we are eating too much. (on the other hand we have many people on the other extreme as well- its all about balance) A trend/fad is then created within the forum that causes so many folks to mistakenly up their calories and revel in it but then later ask WTF, why am I gaining weight? You have to give this time. Weight loss is not linear. You need some longer term data in order to assess if you are eating too much, too little or just right.
  • rnhoppe
    Options
    That's good to know. Why did you increase? Was it due to physical activity increase or just a personal choice? It is hard with so many conflicting options on these boards, to make a determination on what to do.
    When I increased my calories, I gained for two weeks in a row, then it started coming off and I've had really good losses every week since then.

Be patient and give it a month.

Edited to correct a typo!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    SideSteel's advice is right on (as usual). Do not focus on the every day fluctuations. And do not change your diet strategy frequently and get frustrated. Pick a strategy. Make sure you're getting enough nutrients, a reasonable amount of protein, healthy fats, lots of fruits and veggies, grains if you want them, and a reasonable amount of calories (I'd recommend at least 1500 for the average woman, personally). Try it for a few weeks to a month. Take a good look at the 'data' (did you lose? How much?), evaluate, adjust your plan.

Other helpful hints include:

Weigh yourself once a week, once every two weeks, or once a month, but never more than that. Weigh yourself on the same day at around the same time wearing the same clothes.

Focus on other more meaningful measures of progress. The number on the scale is not really that important. Other important measurements are: How well do your clothes fit? How are you doing with your exercise? Is it getting easier? Are you getting stronger? Faster? Are you breathing easier? How's your blood pressure? How's your heart rate? How are you doing on controlling food intake?
  • rnhoppe
    Options
    I really do appreciate the bluntness...I'm just new to this and needed some feedback. For a few weeks I wasn't getting to my 1200 cal min and then included exercise. I was losing, but then I started researching about min calls and was told I was eating too little cal each day. So I increased. I guess I need to give it more time.
    Thanks

He may be blunt but he is dead on here. There are too many people recommending upping calories because they share how they lost weight when doing so. When we are riding a weight loss wave there is a period of time where we will still lose weight even when upping the calories but that ride will end soon if we are eating too much. (on the other hand we have many people on the other extreme as well- its all about balance) A trend/fad is then created within the forum that causes so many folks to mistakenly up their calories and revel in it but then later ask WTF, why am I gaining weight? You have to give this time. Weight loss is not linear. You need some longer term data in order to assess if you are eating too much, too little or just right.
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    th?id=I4591286391865871&pid=1.8&w=230&h=155&c=7&rs=1

PICTURES are better than the scale... and pictures are perfect because it's a gradual change, weight changes every time! you drink 16 oz of water, you just put a pound in you. Best time to use a scale is never.. IMO...
  • MikeyD1280
    Options
    Pictures.....

muscle-vs-fat.png

not scale... and def not BMI...
  • ShannaHeidelberg
    Options
    You are so right about focusing on other things like.. is it getting easier, are you getting stronger, etc. I know muscle weighs more than fat and you need muscle to burn fat so that's where a little of the weight gain may be happening. I've stayed steady for a month now and I'm looking at that in the positive light that at least I'm not gaining and my clothes fit a little different too. It is hard but I'm trying to stay positive. We can do it!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself every day. Problem solved.
  • MikeyD1280
    Options
    You are so right about focusing on other things like.. is it getting easier, are you getting stronger, etc. I know muscle weighs more than fat and you need muscle to burn fat so that's where a little of the weight gain may be happening. I've stayed steady for a month now and I'm looking at that in the positive light that at least I'm not gaining and my clothes fit a little different too. It is hard but I'm trying to stay positive. We can do it!
    stop saying muscle weighs more than fat.. .ohh boy.. look at pictures above :drinker:
  • MikeyD1280
    Options
    stop saying muscle weighs more than fat.. . rather, say muscle looks better than fat.. look at pictures above :drinker:
  • rnhoppe
    Options
    Exercise is getting a little easier. Clothes don't fit any better. I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. I lost 100lbs several years ago but doing a low carb, high protein diet...I put 30lbd back on. This time I just want to do it right. I know it's going to be slow...just want to see some progress so I know I'm moving in the right direction.
  • Alice_H
    Alice_H Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Can you afford a scale that will measure your body fat percentage? We've got a Tanita, I can't speak to its accuracy because I've never had my body fat professionally measured and then compared to it, but I get *consistent* believable results from it.

If you can't afford a scale that measures body fat, take your measurements every week and compare to previous weeks. And pitch that weight-only scale.

What you eat from day to day can cause your weight to fluctuate noticeably - things like salt, water intake, and glycogen storage can make your weight really shift around. A pound from day to day is really nothing, it's much better to look at your results over several weeks.

If you were eating under 1200 calories a day and exercising as much as you were, your body's going to take some time to adjust to the additional calorie intake. In the long run, though, you'll be happier as you won't be starving yourself and seeing maybe teeny tiny losses every week and gaining a pound if you so much as look at a cupcake or a bowl of pasta.

ETA: And there's nothing wrong with doing low carb, high protein, if it's maintainable for you and you can meet all your macros doing it. Just don't neglect your veggies in the interest of being low-carb.
  • rnhoppe
    Options
    Thanks for the scale suggestion. I will look into it.
    Can you afford a scale that will measure your body fat percentage? We've got a Tanita, I can't speak to its accuracy because I've never had my body fat professionally measured and then compared to it, but I get *consistent* believable results from it.

If you can't afford a scale that measures body fat, take your measurements every week and compare to previous weeks. And pitch that weight-only scale.

What you eat from day to day can cause your weight to fluctuate noticeably - things like salt, water intake, and glycogen storage can make your weight really shift around. A pound from day to day is really nothing, it's much better to look at your results over several weeks.

If you were eating under 1200 calories a day and exercising as much as you were, your body's going to take some time to adjust to the additional calorie intake. In the long run, though, you'll be happier as you won't be starving yourself and seeing maybe teeny tiny losses every week and gaining a pound if you so much as look at a cupcake or a bowl of pasta.

ETA: And there's nothing wrong with doing low carb, high protein, if it's maintainable for you and you can meet all your macros doing it. Just don't neglect your veggies in the interest of being low-carb.
  • MikeyD1280
    Options

if you saw my photos, I have my stats and the pic of the results from a tanita. I heard that the results are pretty close to accurate as long as you are well hydrated.
  • 1234marlana
    Options
    Hang in there! I admire your determination. I have been struggling, too, but in differnet ways and for different reasons. I have had a lot of stress related to being unemployed and caring for my three year-old, and I am snacking to much to ease my nerves--emotional eating.

It doesnt seem like your weight gain is too much or shows a true upward trend.. It could easily be water and muscle gain(as I assume you are being phyiscally active). I agree you should not cut back on your food too much. I think it is important to not get into a negative mind frame and rather foucs on your real success and say: "This is a new day and I am moving forward." :smile: :smile:
  • rnhoppe
    Options
    Thank you. I really am trying.
    Hang in there! I admire your determination. I have been struggling, too, but in differnet ways and for different reasons. I have had a lot of stress related to being unemployed and caring for my three year-old, and I am snacking to much to ease my nerves--emotional eating.

It doesnt seem like your weight gain is too much or shows a true upward trend.. It could easily be water and muscle gain(as I assume you are being phyiscally active). I agree you should not cut back on your food too much. I think it is important to not get into a negative mind frame and rather foucs on your real success and say: "This is a new day and I am moving forward." :smile: :smile:
  • canonge2
    canonge2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would recommend for you to use Libra - Weight Manager (Android app) to record your weight IF you feel you must weigh yourself everyday. Libra tracks your weight using a trend line as suggested by "The Hacker's Diet" (free book on internet). The reason this is helpful is because it takes into account all the variables & fluctuations in weight loss and gives you more of a true measure of your actual weight.