Splenda

Options
The one vice I can't seem to give up. My diet is free of other processed foods, and I love it that way. However I use Splenda to make lemonade, sweeten a strong morning brew coffee spiked with pure cocoa and steamed almond milk, and to sprinkle on plain greek yogurt with blueberries.

I'm losing weight, I'm not having cravings, and I have agave, which is nice, but still has a calorie wallop that would add 100c/day to my intake if I switched. We all know 100c/day is 10lb/year.

So is Splenda really that bad?

BTW, I'm a nurse and an engineer, so I'd love to have links to anything scientific (with facts) to delve into if I'm missing something major.

Replies

• AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia (Stevia) in my coffee, honey in my oatmeal, and agave once in a blue moon in a recipe. I use whatever's on the table when I eat out, but it's not enough to get excited about.

Try Truvia!
  • MrOFM
    MrOFM Posts: 41
    Options
    use Truvia! its better! goes very well with most drinks. Some foods too!
  • jiva57
    jiva57 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    OK, I just returned from the grocery store with Truvia!
  • lcooke24
    lcooke24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I bake with Xylitol all the time and it's great too!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options

dang, you are easy to convince...Quick, now, go buy Sweet n' Low!
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I was going to agree with the others and say try Truvia, but I see you already have it! Enjoy...It's yummy :happy:
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    For my morning coffee I have switched from an Equal generic to Pure Organic Cane Sugar packet - each packet is 10 calories and really packs a sweet punch. I figure it puts me that much closer to cleaner eating :happy:
  • mschmalfuss
    mschmalfuss Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I also use and recommend the stevia-based sweeteners. Keep in mind that it may take a few days for your taste buds to adust because splenda is much sweeter than stevia.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/splenda-vs-stevia-whats-the-difference/
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of artificial sweetener, typically Splenda (especially in Kool-Aid as a water alternative) but also Equal (my preference for coffee). I don't like the idea of it being processed but I prefer Splenda especially over stevia (Truvia). This is both because of flavor and because of the long and complicated history that stevia has with the FDA.

I guess I figure if the FDA (who tends to approve first and ask questions later) was against Stevia being used in the US for decades then I'm a little hesitant to trust that all of a sudden it's safe. In other words, I'll stick with the enemy I know. ;-)
  • gloriapiz55
    gloriapiz55 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of artificial sweetener, typically Splenda (especially in Kool-Aid as a water alternative) but also Equal (my preference for coffee). I don't like the idea of it being processed but I prefer Splenda especially over stevia (Truvia). This is both because of flavor and because of the long and complicated history that stevia has with the FDA.

I guess I figure if the FDA (who tends to approve first and ask questions later) was against Stevia being used in the US for decades then I'm a little hesitant to trust that all of a sudden it's safe. In other words, I'll stick with the enemy I know. ;-)

I agree with you.. I like the splenda granular over the packets.. for some reason the splenda packets taste funky to me. I love making fresh limeade with splenda and I also use the splenda baking blend and brown sugar. I also use Equal in my coffee :tongue:
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Ironically I used stevia in my coffee at work today because that was what I had packets of in my desk... work only provides Sweet n Low and sugar. :-p
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

dang, you are easy to convince...Quick, now, go buy Sweet n' Low!

While your out we need eggs....Mmkay thanks.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    The one vice I can't seem to give up. My diet is free of other processed foods, and I love it that way. However I use Splenda to make lemonade, sweeten a strong morning brew coffee spiked with pure cocoa and steamed almond milk, and to sprinkle on plain greek yogurt with blueberries.

I'm losing weight, I'm not having cravings, and I have agave, which is nice, but still has a calorie wallop that would add 100c/day to my intake if I switched. We all know 100c/day is 10lb/year.

So is Splenda really that bad?

BTW, I'm a nurse and an engineer, so I'd love to have links to anything scientific (with facts) to delve into if I'm missing something major.

Almond milk is not processed?
  • MonolithTMA
    MonolithTMA Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've yet to find any stevia based packets that I like. I buy Organic Stevia White Extract Powder from this site: http://herbaladvantage.com/showproducts.cfm?UUID=D49A202E-3048-83DA-7AB08A50512203FA.01122012&AID=1&CategoryID=1&Ltr=A-Z

"Stevia rebaudiana
    Certified Organic, High Reb A - Our Stevia is 100% Pure. There are no fillers added. No FOS

1/4 teaspoon of our Stevia extract has the same sweetening power of 1 cup of sugar. One pound Stevia extract = 300 pounds sugar and has no calories."