Weight Lifting help

Options
I want to being strength training and lifting weights because I am two pounds away from my goal weight, but want to tone up and become mroe muscular. I am not able to go to a gym and only have dumbells. What are some tips and workouts or exercises I should try here at home to get going on this? What should my diet be like (I am vegan), etc. Any tips and help would be greatly appreciated. I really want to gain muscle, but just not sure how to do it. I speed walk (5mph) 4-5 miles every other day (on my off days, I still try to go out and do a short walk).

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Check the first link below. The second is a link for a good routine that can be modified for dumbbells at least starting out, but you should really at least get an adjustable bench. Eventually you are going to need more weight\barbell\squat or power rack in order to keep progressing. My wife started out her first night barbell squatting 75lbs and has worked up to 90lbs in 3 weeks to give you an idea. If you really want to be serious and get real results, you are going to have to buck up and get the equipment needed or go to a gym that has it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933
  • lmontrosse
    Options
    There are lots of exercises you can do with just free weights. Is there anything in particular you are looking to work on? A few that pop into my head off of the bat are biceps curls (several variations), chest flies, rows, skull crushers, lateral raises, tricep kickbacks, dumbbell presses, lunges and squats (also lots of variations...one legged etc.) You can also do body weight exercises like pushups, tricep dips (you can do them off the edge of something to make it harder than on the floor, and put your feet up to up the burn even more.) and can always do plyometric moves too. Things like jump lunges and jump squats will get your legs burning in no time. You can also do russian twists and side bends with weights for your abs or hold a dumbbell while doing a side plank. Plank variations, v-sits and jacknifes (sp?) are all very good for the abs also and require no weights. Let me know if you need more ideas!
  • Zythe
    Zythe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating a good amount of protein as well, its needed to build muscle. Because you are a vegan this could be difficult. Eat eggs if you can, otherwise try and find a good protein source.