Is it okay to run when you're over 300?

Options
2»

Replies

• TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Morbid obesity is temporary if you work (through diet and exercise) to eliminate it. However, knee, ankle or hip problems could be permanent and require serious surgery if structural damage is done. Unfortunately, you don't know about that structural damage until AFTER it occurs. Why take the chance? I started at 478 pounds, have been walking religiously in the seven weeks since then. As a result of walking and MFP, I am down 32 pounds to 446. I started barely able to walk 10 minutes, and am now up to 40-45 minutes almost daily even incorporating some steep uphills. Believe me, any extra calorie or strength benefits you seek from running (vs. walking) can be obtained by incorporating hills, ramps or stairs into your walking routine (or even water aerobics, which cause little stress on the lower body weight bearing joints). And doing it that way causes FAR less weight bearing stress on the lower body.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Running isn't required - walking works. I walk because I have arthritis and I don't want to damage my joints.
    Most of my weight loss is attributed to dietary adjustments. I walk 6 days a week.