Microwave Meals

Options
I was doing very well cooking and picking up fresh veggies and fruit every day but now I work a 3am-10am shift and then a 3pm-6pm shift at another job at least 3 times a week and have started eating microwave meals for lunch and dinner on these day because I'm just tired to cook. Do you think this will affect my weight or make it harder to lose weight even if I'm still staying within the calorie restrictions? I know many people say "a calorie is a calorie" but I know that when I eat a lot of pasta I do tend to gain weight even if it is within the allotted amount so I don't know if I really believe all calories are exactly the same... But that isn't the point!

How many of you have to depend on microwave meals and what brands/foods do you normally pick? I'm really hoping once I get used to this weird schedule I can go back to cooking!

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Can you not make a big batch of something healthy and freeze it in portion sizes?
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest issues with microwave meals is the sodium level. Look for meals that have a good balance between fat and sodium. Typically, the lower the fat the higher the sodium (this is for the flavor factor). Maker sure you're getting plenty of water on the days you eat the higher sodium foods. The idea of freezing healthier foods is excellent. In a couple hours you could have several meals that would last for a few weeks.
  • rhymeswithfox
    rhymeswithfox Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yes that's what I'm planning to do this next paycheck. I had tried that this past week and my boyfriend ate 2 days of lunch for his dinner while I was sleeping!!! I'll have to put sticky notes on them lol.
  • Cburt16
    Cburt16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would buy lean cuisine. The sodium should be around 600mg and at least 3g of fiber. I meet with a dietition twice a yr and she has recommended this. I have been able to maintain my weight just fine. The trick is since alot of of the meals have pasta you will need to add a side vegetable to go along with it (ie precut veggies - carrots, celery, broccoli,etc)
  • SailorJerrysRum
    Options
    The trick is since alot of of the meals have pasta you will need to add a side vegetable to go along with it (ie precut veggies - carrots, celery, broccoli,etc)
    Yeah, eating just one meal alone is so unsatisfying. I pair them up with a 200 calorie smoothie that I make myself out of yogurt, berries, and Greek yogurt. But since the OP seems to want things fast and easy I guess she could have a basic weight loss shake to pair it up with.
  • rhymeswithfox
    rhymeswithfox Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have been packing carrots and cucumbers and apples to eat during the day so I guess I'm not doing so bad, I'll get lean cuisines too :)