Heavy Weight Vs. Light Weights for Weight Loss

Options
Hey guys!

Ok, so I'm on my fourth day of p90x and I'm bringing it big time. I've lost a little over 5 pounds so far (I know it's mostly water weight but I'll take it lol) and I had a thought.

Now in the effort to maximize all my results within the 90 day period, I have dialed in my nutrition and am working out hard on my workouts. The question I have is, would it be better for my overal fat loss if i do heavier weights with less reps? Or will it be about the same as if I did lighter weights with more reps? I've done weight lifting in the past and I typically did less weight more reps, but now that it's been quite some time since I've worked out I've put on a substantial amount of weight. Now I don't want to get crazy bulky but I find that it will probably be near impossible to do so since I'm running a calorie deficit and it takes a calorie surplus in order to gain muscle.

So, fellow MFP'ers what has been your experience? What would you recommend with regards to light vs heavy weights for optimal weight loss?

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    You always want to lift the heaviest weight you can with good form - so heavy weight/fewer reps. 8-12 rep range.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Low weight high reps for weight loss is a myth. You lift the same whether trying to lose or gain. You only adjust your calories in vs out.