Does a granola bar count as a "bread"?

Options
2»

Replies

• TattedXMomXStace
    Options
    flax seed is good for the body and Kashi is a great brand of fiber enchriched foods. . . have it! dont limit yourself. . plus i didnt think granola bars/ flax bars were bread. . .
  • youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My cousin did a physician assisted diet, and she had her eating 100 net carbs or less per day. That's not as extreme as some versions of the same thing, and it worked very well for her. She only had 50 pounds to lose total, and lost it in about six months.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The big thing about carbs is that because they convert to large amounts of sugars, thus calories, you can't eat much of them while staying within moderation.
    They have 4 calories per gram, just like protein.
  • ms_leanne
    Options
    I haven't cut out bread but I have reduced it considerably which has helped. I've looked at other protein sources other than meat and reduced my other carb intake such as pasta and rice and if I must try to stick to brown/wholewheat.

A few days without bread and I didn't miss it so much and provided I reduce the amount I eat of it i.e. don't eat it every day I'm fine and I don't crave it.

Wheat has become very addictive and once you get into eating it every day you crave it more and more. I'm not saying wheat is bad but like all carbs including sugar it helps having it "in moderation" rather than every day.
  • ciobair
    Options
    I think I am trying to limit my obsession with wrapping ALL food with bread. bread, tortilla, pita, biscuit...it's all just a vehicle for the good stuff (i.e. protein & veggies). I love me some meat & veggies...but I LOVE bread around them. Sounds dirty...but it's that way for me. If I fix tuna fish, it HAS to be on bread. If I make fajita chicken & veggies...it MUST be on a tortilla. Sausage - pita or biscuit. I am trying to restructure my thinking and dependence on bread as a necessity in food pairings.

Amen sister, that's exactly how I feel and I have the same struggles with it.

Let me know if you find the answer !
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    @ Sidesteel
    You have a very good point. ....BUT my progress has SLOWED down big time...been hovering around 272-275 for 3 weeks. No me gusta!! I am still learning all the time. BTW...I eat a LOT of bread products.

Your progress slowing has nothing to do with the inclusion of bread in your diet, otherwise it would have been slowed from the beginning if we were to use this logic.

If you want to reduce calories further and you choose to do this by removing bread, that's your decision, but the additional progress that it may cause is due to the reduced calorie intake and not from the fact that bread is no longer among your food items.

It's an important point to clarify since people tend to demonize a particular food item with the irrational fear that individual food items can make you fat or inhibit fat loss.

You are quite knowledgable, or good @ bs'ing :wink: But I think it's the first one. I know it's everything in moderation....with these types of products, I don't think I am keeping within moderation. So I am demonizing my self-control moreso than the bread itself.

Sounds like you're on the right track (obviously). There are lots of lower-carb bread/grain options out there too. I haven't cut out bread entirely but I eat stuff like whole wheat wraps or 35 calorie wheat bread. I also try to PILE on the meats and such onto the bread to get the most efficient delivery possible (1 sandwich instead of 2). Therefore, I get to have everything on "bread" but it dents my daily caloric intake much less.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You're doing great. Keep doing it.

A granola bar has more sugar in it than bread but may (may) be less processed than white bread (it it's oat based).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You're doing great. Keep doing it.

A granola bar has more sugar in it than bread but may (may) be less processed than white bread (it it's oat based).

The Kashi honey almond flax bars are much lower in sugar than most other granola bars. And they are definitely less processed than breads made from any type of flour.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    @ Sidesteel
    You have a very good point. ....BUT my progress has SLOWED down big time...been hovering around 272-275 for 3 weeks. No me gusta!! I am still learning all the time. BTW...I eat a LOT of bread products.

Your progress slowing has nothing to do with the inclusion of bread in your diet, otherwise it would have been slowed from the beginning if we were to use this logic.

If you want to reduce calories further and you choose to do this by removing bread, that's your decision, but the additional progress that it may cause is due to the reduced calorie intake and not from the fact that bread is no longer among your food items.

It's an important point to clarify since people tend to demonize a particular food item with the irrational fear that individual food items can make you fat or inhibit fat loss.

You are quite knowledgable, or good @ bs'ing :wink: But I think it's the first one. I know it's everything in moderation....with these types of products, I don't think I am keeping within moderation. So I am demonizing my self-control moreso than the bread itself.

It's the former. If you are overeating anything that takes you over your calorie goal, that will slow weight loss. As you have lost a lot of weight (congralutations by the way) you may need to reassess your calorie requirements. As we lose weight, out BMR decreases naturally, which in turn decreases our TDEE, which in turn decreases our deficit which in turn slows our weight loss.

Are you on the same calorie target you were on when you started?

ETA: I just checked your diary - your calorie intake looks fine but its very variable (which is fine also) but its hard to tell what your average calorie actually are. I would suggest you analysing the last couple of months to see what your average intake for the week is ans see how you are doing in that respect.