considering a cleanse/detox....

Options
Hi everyone! I am back to mfp after taking a break for far too long. I want to get back on track immediately! I am on winter break from college and I would like to start the new year and my next semester feeling healthier and looking more fit. I am considering jump-starting my program with a colon cleanse or body detox. There are a lot of options out there and I know many have mixed reviews. I would love some input as to what any of you have tried and if you have found them to be effective. So, what do you think??

Replies

• boomersooner806
    Options
    I'm using colonix right now -- the first one I've ever tried. I like it and it works pretty well for me. I've really liked it so far. The fiber drinks aren't my favorite, but if you use anything else but water they're just fine!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I just used Re-Cleanse last week and I DID NOT have headaches, halitosis, pimples or diarrhea. It's in capsule form 2 x 2 times a day.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by jump start? Even most Naturopaths agree that you shouldn't use any kind of a cleanse or detox to support weight loss. I'm not, by any means, in favor of either approach in general (there's just no physical evidence that shows why you would need this), but if you're set on doing it, please do it for the right reasons and with the right expectations. And please, do lots and lots of research before you begin, these can be super dangerous if done incorrectly. This is just MHO, but I wanted it out there since you asked.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Look at this web site. WWW.elsonhaas.com

Dr. Haas is an MD who runs a wellness facility and he coaches many people to detox safely. I am in favor of cleansing, however, shboss1673 is right. You need to do it for the right reasons and with the right expectations. There are so many different types of cleanses on the market, but in my opinion, they are a waste of money. You can do your own. Anywhere from something as simple as just fruits and veggies for a few days to as extreme as the Master Cleanser (my personal fave). Dr. Haas book the New Detox Diet has tons of recipes for smoothies, juices, soups, ect. And most importantly the education you need to ease back into a healthy diet.

Please be safe. I used to tell everybody on this site to go for it. But I learned quickly that most people don't want to cleanse for the right reasons, nor will they maintain the cleanse properly.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I've spoken to my doctor and done a lot of research online that show that cleanses don't really have a great effect on your body. I've tried them before (Master Cleanse anyone?) and... blech. I was starving all the time, near passing out... not good. Lost weight, but it was only because all the waste was out of my body and there was no food. As soon as I ate again, it all came back.

The body is an amazing organ and cleans itself quite well. In the past three weeks alone, I've cut out all processed grains. I'm eating bran cereal, whole grain toast, lots of good fibre. And drinking lots of water. And my digestive system has never been better. I'm fully 'cleansed', feeling great, energized... without subjecting my body to any weird punishments. No suffering, either!

I don't know about 'jumpstarting' a program- is that necessary? I just decided one day I wanted to lose weight- so I started eating better foods, counting calories and exercising. And just like that, I was losing weight. I'm happy to say I haven't spent a day hungry or exhausted, either! :)

Of course, that's just my opinion. I really don't like cleanses. :bigsmile: